Battle Red on Monday Night Football

mmejia

So what did everyone think of Del Rio's sideline attire?

I loved the jacket.

(photos from jacksonville.com)

I know I'm in the vast minority with this but I think a football coach wearing a suit or tie on the sidelines is just ridiculous. It's football not a banker convention.

Not as ridiculous as baseball managers wearing uniforms. You gonna go out there and play, Bobby Cox? Now that is silly to me.

One of the dumbest traditions in all of sports, and something that should be changed immediately.

But then what would happen in case every player and every other bench coach gets injured and Charlie Manuel can't insert himself into the lineup because he isn't wearing the proper uniform. It is dumb, but you know what's even sillier? High school baseball coaches wearing uniforms. I can understand that at one point in the major leagues there were player managers, but in high school the coaches don't have any eligibility left.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but he couldn't insert himself anyway if he's not on the roster (which obviously he's not.) The uniform is totally meaningless.

Am I the only person who absolutely loves the tradition of managers wearing the uniform? After all, they are part of the team. Plus, it contributes to the uniqueness of baseball.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the jacket.

I know I'm in the vast minority with this but I think a football coach wearing a suit or tie on the sidelines is just ridiculous. It's football not a banker convention.

Not as ridiculous as baseball managers wearing uniforms. You gonna go out there and play, Bobby Cox? Now that is silly to me.

One of the dumbest traditions in all of sports, and something that should be changed immediately.

But then what would happen in case every player and every other bench coach gets injured and Charlie Manuel can't insert himself into the lineup because he isn't wearing the proper uniform. It is dumb, but you know what's even sillier? High school baseball coaches wearing uniforms. I can understand that at one point in the major leagues there were player managers, but in high school the coaches don't have any eligibility left.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but he couldn't insert himself anyway if he's not on the roster (which obviously he's not.) The uniform is totally meaningless.

Am I the only person who absolutely loves the tradition of managers wearing the uniform? After all, they are part of the team. Plus, it contributes to the uniqueness of baseball.

How are they part of the team any more than a head coach in football, hockey, or basketball?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I loved the jacket.

How are they part of the team any more than a head coach in football, hockey, or basketball?

I think it would be funny seeing a coach in a suit going out to the mound and get all dirt all over the suit. I think it would be weird for him to wear a winter coat when it is cold. I think it would be weird to see them wearing no tie and no coat because it is 100 degrees out. I think it would be weird seeing him in a suit walking to the mound when it is pouring out. I think it is more practicality than anything else. Besides football which they wear coats if it rains or snows, you can't do that with baseball. It would make no sense to ruin clothes like that.

I think it would be funny seeing a coach in a suit going out to the mound and get all dirt all over the suit. I think it would be weird for him to wear a winter coat when it is cold. I think it would be weird to see them wearing no tie and no coat because it is 100 degrees out. I think it would be weird seeing him in a suit walking to the mound when it is pouring out. I think it is more practicality than anything else. Besides football which they wear coats if it rains or snows, you can't do that with baseball. It would make no sense to ruin clothes like that.

Unless the manager decides to slide into third, he's not going to ruin anything. There's also no need for a suit at all - just some team-sanctioned warm up gear, or even dress like NFL coaches. There's also no reason a baseball manager can't wear a coat or slicker when it's raining out - that's just ridiculous.

Your argument makes more sense for the base coaches, as they're actually on the field for extended periods of time. Again though, I think that the warmup suit is the best approach here - no need for a uniform for someone who is out of shape and will never play.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nah. One fat black stripe bordered by gold would be good. I never understood why they went the double-stripe route with their black pants*, and I don't think they should do it with their teal.

*yes, I know they eventually dropped the stripes all together, which sucks.

I think most regulars on this board know that the Jags have had Teal pants available to wear - but have never worn them. Here are the two styles that have been deemed "official":

JacksonvilleJaguars_TealPantsCompare_TEX.gif

I'm confused, do those pants actually, physically exist...or is just on paper?

I don't know. They're in the official NFL Style Guide, but have never been worn. I have no idea if they are actually physically produced or not.

It's the old - "if a tree falls in a forest, and there is no one around - does it make a sound?" arguement.

where do you find these style guides anyway?

Who said that the coaches have to wear suits? They can just wear a polo and slacks, or throw on the normal windbreaker/jacket when it gets cold. A couple coaches wear the team jackets pretty much all the time anyway. There is no need to see Lou Pinella wearing tight baseball pants anymore.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Kinda sorta related to this topic...

Courtesy of the UW blog.

3087020749_8eddf2bca5_o.jpg

Haha, look at #8. What a fireplug.

Baseball managers in uniform is an admittedly silly custom, but anything else would look jarring. I like the idea of everyone being in uniform, though. It's quaint. Sure, the A's, a team with a well-known civilian-attired skipper in its past, could outfit a manager in a forest green polo shirt and some nice khakis, but then he'd just look like some Silicon Valley cubicle occupant who accidentally wandered into an A's game, not the manager of the Oakland A's, y'know? It's too hard to break the habit. John Gibbons in his warmup shirt always looked silly, and he at least had baseball pants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Courtesy of the UW blog.

Since this picture is dated 1953, does this mean it would be okay for the Packers to sport this as a throwemback??

"ZOMG MONOKROMZ SUCK DA BIG ONZ!!!!!ONEHUNDRED!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111"

"but......they're throwbacks! they have to be unquestionably beautiful!"

"BUT DEY IZ MONOKROMZ WIT SAME COLUR SOXXZZ!!!"

"BUT ITZ FROBAXXXXXZZZ!!!!"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Courtesy of the UW blog.

lol @ the 7s not matching. The 70s 7 were different than the numbers that ended in 7.

And yeah, that would've looked ugly as hell with the yellow helmet.

Archived