Avalanche Vs. Canucks

See Red

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna say this --

The original purpose of this thread was me bringing up how the Avs/Canucks rivalry has truely grown into, perhaps, the best in the league, and that it was truely one of the better matchups one can watch in the NHL. I posted this before the event with Bertuzzi/Moore happened. My current stance on the subject?

I wouldn't mind if these two teams never played eachother ever again. The only thing that I feel good about is since Claude Lemieux left a long time ago -- The Avalanche are NOT a cheap team. They don't cheapshot. And if they want retaliatation, they will send Worrell out to do so. When I say that I want Worrell to %$# Bertuzzi up, I'm saying no more than I want Worrell to drop the gloves with Bertuzzi and knock him out with punches in a fair fight. Not that I want Worrell to proceed to take a baseball swing at Bertuzzi's neck and knock his cranium into the 18th row.

It's embarassing that the Canucks went out of their way to wait till Worrell was off the ice to fight Moore. Bertuzzi knows if he was on the ice... he'd be a dead man.

Now I have a question...

------ Do you think the Canucks were in SOME WAY told to play cheap out there by maybe their coach?

I think the Canucks were -- simply based on this one fact. Take a look at how fast Hedberg was at Center ice wanting to fight Abeischer. If it wasn't set in his head that he wanted to do that, he wouldn't have been out there near that fast. It's almost as though he was making his way towards center right after Moore was taken down. This is a back up trying to fight a starter. How funny. And Abeischer deserves credit for not going and fighting him. I think Abeischer would've beat Hedberg in a fight too. It's Cloutier I'd worry about fighting cuz' he's rough. I have trouble believing that if the goalies were to fight, the benches wouldn't have cleared.

What can you do in that situation? The refs obviously had little control, the Canucks had nothing to lose, and you have paying fans that came for an ENTIRE game... so you can't just stop the game. So sad for the game of hockey. I was in shock the entire rest of the game.

Now -- does anyone know what was said or done to Worrell that made him take a swing at the Canucks (NHL's cheapest team) bench?

IUe6Hvh.png

Now -- does anyone know what was said or done to Worrell that made him take a swing at the Canucks (NHL's cheapest team) bench?

I know Im probably opening one big gigantic can of worms by saying this, but this is what I think....

perhaps something of racial nature was directed at Worrell? Possibly not, but it would be foolish not to think so

Yeah, that was my thought on it. I just wanted to wait to see if anyone else agreed before I mentioned that.

I think that was the EXACT thing that happened. Unfortunate, if it's true.

IUe6Hvh.png

Yeah, that was my thought on it. I just wanted to wait to see if anyone else agreed before I mentioned that.

I think that was the EXACT thing that happened. Unfortunate, if it's true.

Hmmmm, a black guy is mad, so someone HAD to say a racial term? :mad:

Anyway, 13 games would be good for me. Maybe 2 or three in the playoffs.

Just watching the sports right now, they say that the hearing has concluded but no details have been released yet.

I was cruising on TSN's website,thought I'd share some of the opinions being shared there.

Hockey is a violent sport. That's one of the reasons we love it. But within the organized chaos of high sticks and slashes and hockey fights, there are rules, there are boundaries, there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. Todd Bertuzzi crossed one of those lines Monday night, and he should not play another game this season because of it. - Mike Heika, Dallas Morning News,
Bertuzzi has made his bed and he must lie in it. But the NHL must share at least some of the blame. Alone among professional sports leagues, the NHL not only allows but, by its inaction, fosters a vigorous system of vigilante justice that may have worked in another generation but is totally out of date in 2004. One guy is in the hospital nursing a serious injury. The other is now in the fight of his life for his livelihood and his good name. His team is left in the lurch. And you know what?  Hockey should count its lucky stars it wasn't worse. - Ken Fidlin, Toronto Sun
Most mystifying of all about Bertuzzi's actions, however, is why a skilled player, albeit a very large one, felt he had to personally dispense frontier justice, at what may turn out to be enormous cost - not merely playoff wins but millions of dollars in revenues - to this team. Heavy work is best left to heavies. Not only are they better at it, they are less costly to lose. - Cam Cole,  National Post

I picked the last one becasue it more disturbs me than anything, what would people think if a player otehr than Bertuzzi had committed this action? This comment just totally rattled my cage, suggesting that this would have been better for the Canucks if it had been a call-up player, or some thug player who didn't make alot of money. :cursing:

The best quote?

Bertuzzi has made his bed and he must lie in it. But the NHL must share at least some of the blame. Alone among professional sports leagues, the NHL not only allows but, by its inaction, fosters a vigorous system of vigilante justice that may have worked in another generation but is totally out of date in 2004. One guy is in the hospital nursing a serious injury. The other is now in the fight of his life for his livelihood and his good name. His team is left in the lurch. And you know what?  Hockey should count its lucky stars it wasn't worse. - Ken Fidlin, Toronto Sun

That one I did like. I think violence has always been a way of life in hockey, and always will be unless they start charging each fight, and attack as a criminal offense. Stuff like this is just accepted in hockey, is two guys went toe to toe on the street, they'd be arrested (most likely, if a cop saw them)

I think though that hockey fights have been a way to keep players ont eh straight and narrow, don't step out of line, or you'll have to deal with the other team's enforcer toe to toe. Now, in the modern NHL, mnay young players don't have that kind of respect, they seem more focused on taking out the other team's top player, cause they know that nothing will happen, so the star players are open season. When it comes time for payback, it usually isn't pretty. This accident is an extreme example, and we've seen more of it in the past few seasons.

I think that fighting can be a problem when it gets out of hand, expecially when it spills out of the arena (back in Oshawa one year, after an altercationon ice ice, two Generals players waiting for members of the opposing team int eh parking lot and had charges filed against them. that IMO is just stupidity and htose players should be arrested.) I would much rather see players settle thing toe to toe on the ice and get it over with then have things stew and erupt in scenes of violence, headhunting and retaliation such as we have seen

Guest -*rmered*-

In what I've read it was mentioned on ice that Worrell had a problem with drinking and driving. DUI So he whacked them with his stick.

I cannot remember which article, as I've read quite a few.

Is this the case?

Does he have a record for this?

this deserves more than McSorley's 23 games. McSorelys was bad but i think this is worse considering he broke the mans neck, toppled him, slkammed his face to the ice, and continued to punch him.

and there should be no crack down on fighting. fighting is part of the game, ive even got into fights on the ice twice. sucker punches like that really dont fly.

i feel bad for Burtuzzi bc he now hasta live with that its sort of like Heatley, cept Dany didnt do it on purpose.

i cant wait for his suspension length, ill be watching ESPNews every minute for the next 2 days

oh and sorry Phil for that cuss, i was a little angry :rolleyes:

untitled-1.png

Hmmmm, a black guy is mad, so someone HAD to say a racial term? 

No, but it's not like someone made physical contact with him from the bench. And there aren't THAT many things you can say to a professional athlete to get him to react like that. "You suck Worrell!" just doesn't do it at this level. Given the person whom it happened to, and how he reacted, you really have to assume that it was a racial comment. I'll tell you what... you tell me what ELSE might have pissed him off and I may just agree with you. Alright?

Most mystifying of all about Bertuzzi's actions, however, is why a skilled player, albeit a very large one, felt he had to personally dispense frontier justice, at what may turn out to be enormous cost - not merely playoff wins but millions of dollars in revenues - to this team. Heavy work is best left to heavies. Not only are they better at it, they are less costly to lose. - Cam Cole,  National Post

In this instance, it didn't matter how skilled the player was or anything like that... Bottomline is that Naslund is Bertuzzi's best friend. That's why Bertuzzi acted the way he did. I don't think Bertuzzi's a bad guy, as I've heard comments spoken from him after the McSorley incident and it's not as though he codones these things. I think that Bertuzzi was frustrated from the score, and caught up in the heat of the moment and went too far in his attempt to retaliate. However, that's not defending him -- he should be charged, suspended, fined heavily.

IUe6Hvh.png

i think that's pretty much what you have to assume considering that stuff still exists in sports. Hell, Chris Simon (when he played for the Avalanche) did it a few years ago to Mike Grier. Like I said, it's not easy to piss an athlete off with one comment. That is a comment that will piss an african american athlete off every time without fail.

IUe6Hvh.png

lg_sprt_15.gif

How many games should this guy have missed?

What a thug!!!

He should have been suspended for at least 5 games. Why on Earth would anyone be so savage as to attempt to deliberately injure the Great One's hand by means of a head butt?

i think that's pretty much what you have to assume considering that stuff still exists in sports. Hell, Chris Simon (when he played for the Avalanche) did it a few years ago to Mike Grier. Like I said, it's not easy to piss an athlete off with one comment. That is a comment that will piss an african american athlete off every time without fail.

Yeah, it's a possiblity of course. Just don't automaticaly assume that's what it was.

Anywho, knowing people's attitude toward Gretz, that's probably what would have happened.

He should have been suspended for at least 5 games. Why on Earth would anyone be so savage as to attempt to deliberately injure the Great One's hand by means of a head butt?

...or, from my angle, he might even be trying to bite the Great One's glove! Don't nobody touch the Great One without some serious problems!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived