Sports Identity Showdown I

ShinyHubCaps

Of course by Frenchie's reasoning, the jerseys would be like 5 bucks to cover travel costs :P .

I guess that's the reason I never considered it to be like a beer league. Those are mostly concentrated in a single state. We have teams flying in from Hawaii and the Bahamas!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm actually reading a book called "Live From Cape Canaveral" and just read about Wally's textbook flight in Sigma 7.

That flight was almost perfect. The spaceship landed 4.5 miles from the Navy ship picking it up, which was quite a feat. The only thing that went wrong was when Wally blew the hatch while on the deck of the ship, he injured his hand.

Round 1 voting is now complete.

Let us take a look at the set-up for the finals:

Triple Play Division: Plantation Anoles

Grand Slam Division: Lansing Ignite

High Heat Division: Amarillo Black Gold

Wild Card 1: Manchester Industry

Wild Card 2: Scottsdale Salamanders

Wild Card 3: Honu of Hanauma Bay

So everyone is clear, the wild cards were chosen by filtering the following criteria:

-) most points overall

-) most votes overall

-) most first-place votes overall

--> tiebreaker: most first- and second-place votes overall

In this particular instance, Scottsdale and Hanauma Bay were tied for most votes overall (39); as such, both teams make the wild card round and use the final filter only for seeding purposes (Scottsdale had more first-place votes 12 to 9).

I know that there are differentials due to division strength, but I find that the filters often remove any such discrepancies. And no, this is not something that I am making up as I go along, but rather, it is a measure I had planned from the beginning of the contest but never announced until now.

If you want to sport finalist signatures, then for the time-being, please use these:

HighHeatDivision.png

GrandSlamDivision.png

TriplePlayDivision.png

WildCard.png

In response to you previously saying that you didn't want another concept round for the finals, SHC, because you thought it would get too dragged out...I don't think that it's dragging it out at all. Obviously you planned differently, so I don't expect you to alter the process, but I think one more concept would provide some fresh material for the voters to go on, and crown 1 winner from the 6. I think of it like the NFL playoffs, the 6 seed could just squeek in after a shaky end to the season, but still come out in the playoffs with some awesome stuff and win it. I guess thats just my pov as one of the lower seeds, and fishheatcats or davidson might see it differently, but all 6 of us are talented designers and Im sure my peers wouldn't mind too much creating something else. So hopefully you at least take in mind what I said, it's just my two cents.

Even though I didn't make the finals (by a bit of a long-shot), I just wanted to thank everyone who voted for me, and congratulate to other designers who made the finals. I wish you all the best of luck and I'll be looking forward to see who wins this. Hopefully we can all meet again in the Sports Identity Showdown II in the future!

TDZiMMB.png

In response to you previously saying that you didn't want another concept round for the finals, SHC, because you thought it would get too dragged out...I don't think that it's dragging it out at all. Obviously you planned differently, so I don't expect you to alter the process, but I think one more concept would provide some fresh material for the voters to go on, and crown 1 winner from the 6. I think of it like the NFL playoffs, the 6 seed could just squeek in after a shaky end to the season, but still come out in the playoffs with some awesome stuff and win it. I guess thats just my pov as one of the lower seeds, and fishheatcats or davidson might see it differently, but all 6 of us are talented designers and Im sure my peers wouldn't mind too much creating something else. So hopefully you at least take in mind what I said, it's just my two cents.

I had certainly considered that, because it seems like people are just voting for the same thing again, but the voting will still take different shape because other concepts are out of the way. Of the 176 first-place votes, 58 of them (nearly 1/3) were not for any of the finalists. Assuming the same people vote, those votes will be dispersed among a lower concentration of contestants. So of course, the voting can still work out differently than the first round.

Having said that, I would certainly consider that format for the next competition should there be one. It's obviously a lot to change the gameplan now, and a bit of a time investment (I would have to make sure everyone was in for two separate projects), but I do like the format. Maybe not when it is four rounds, but two rounds with two separate challenges is a nice touch, and I will consider it for the future.

From the desk of the commissioner of the North American Kickball Association,

Congratulations to all of the participants for making such wonderful concepts and helping to make this contest a success.

All submissions were subjected to a vote by our esteemed panel of sports logo and design enthusiasts, and I am pleased to announce the final standings for our overall vote, as well as our runners-up vote.

FINAL

1. Amarillo Black Gold (107 points) (220 points overall)

2. Scottsdale Salamanders (62 points) (142 points overall)

3. Honu of Hanauma Bay (55 points) (126 points overall)

4. Plantation Anoles (37 points) (157 points overall)

5. Lansing Ignite (37 points) (148 points overall)

6. Manchester Industry (14 points) (98 points overall)

RUNNER-UP

1. Mesquite Clowns (35 points) (66 points overall)

2. Milwaukee Rangers (31 points) (93 points overall)

3. Minneapolis Freeze (30 points) (88 points overall)

4. New Orleans Jazz (27 points) (70 points overall)

5. St. John's Beothuks (19 points) (83 points overall)

6. Orange Roundabouts (14 points) (43 points overall)

In recognition of their hard work and great achievements, the commissioner has prepared these competitive badges for the following recipients:

3. Shumway - Honu of Hanauma Bay

SISI3rd.png

2. elliott - Scottsdale Salamanders

SISI2nd.png

1. davidson - Amarillo Black Gold

SISI1st.png

Thank you all for your support and interest in the North American Kickball Association.

-Commissioner Shinyhubcaps

P.S. Here is the list of our other runners-up and finalists:

33hooligan (Orange Roundabouts), scottysprings (St. John's Beothuks), bigdub81 (New Orleans Jazz), lich0037 (Minneapolis Freeze), udubs03 (Milwaukee Rangers), TurnTwo (Mesquite Clowns), Evan (Manchester Industry), GoNordiques (Lansing Ignite), fishheatcats (Plantation Anoles)

:censored: me what an honor.

great competition, great idea, really well organised.

good job hubcaps.

really good work from everyone as well. some brilliant

stuff in the concepts.

particularly interesting idea for a comp as anything

was permissible and no real strong precedent for

a kickball uni.

looking forward to the next comp.

Congrats Davidson! You did a good job, you as well elliot, yours was my favorite of them all, becasue I really liked the uniforms :D.

Can't Wait for the next Comp.

Any idea on what it might be and when? Just curious.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Congrats to all the contestants, great competition, Shiny.

They're pretty much individually organized and run, so whenever someone comes up with a good idea that gets the "OK" from the competition council.

They're pretty much individually organized and run, so whenever someone comes up with a good idea that gets the "OK" from the competition council.

By the way, who would we PM to get one of these started? WiB or someone else?

6fQjS3M.png

By the way, who would we PM to get one of these started? WiB or someone else?

I PMed WiB before starting, so I would say that is the route to go. It also helps that the mods stickied this topic, which I guess you can request once started.

I have some other ideas for contests (SIS II, anyone?), but it probably won't be for a few months. Does it seem like people enjoy the built-from-scratch fantasy concepts more than rebranding pro teams? I hope that my future contests will be similar.

Congrats to all the finalists(including me :P ). This contest was great. And I'll take 4th place out of , what was is 30, any day. Good job everyone!

Close... there were 41 concepts altogether. :)

By the way, I would really want to play for the Plantation Anoles.

Archived