Sports Identity Showdown I

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I join?

Name: twins_vikes_wild_mn

City: St. Paul, MN (pop. 290,000ish)

Team Nickname: Pig Eyes (or something similar, St. Paul originally called Pig's Eye Landing)

Other Info: TBD

One quick question, what does this mean?

Each team is also required to include its own textured kickball for in-game use; the ball is unique to the NAKA like stadia are to Major League Baseball. The ball needs to be included with the logos in the presentation, and at the very least, it needs to feature a team-used color. Any other logos, textures, or images are completely optional.

Could anyone explain what I am suppose to do for this?

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

First order of business, I am glad to see so many people aboard for this contest. My schedule is crazy hectic in the near future, so I may be infrequent in checking in, but I will try. It seems as if a lot of people have good ideas, so you may embark upon said ideas at any time. Again, though, please check the first page for the dates in which I will be accepting submissions (starts next week).

I have checked out all cities, and most of them seem fine. The only questionable ones were Key West and Annapolis. Key West city, FL is only 25,000, but the region is much more, so I will allow it. Annapolis is near some population centers, so though its population is only 36,000 (goal was 75,000), at least it's not some unknown hick town, which is what I wanted to avoid.

Also, everything on the first page has been updated with new applicants. If you have reserved a city, please check the first page and make sure I have your name as well as the correct city (ex. "Buffalo" meaning Buffalo, NY or Buffalo, IL?).

Now, for the comments:

Don't cap the number yet. There will be a bunch of no-shows and drop outs.

I am afraid of that... I think it will work out, but if you or anyone else wants a cap, please recommend one.

Are we going to use one specific template for this to keep it uniform or just anything we like?

I don't have a template at the moment, so I would say to not worry about it. Also, I say in the rules that some voters may hold the template as part of the challenge, so don't just junk one together. If there were a given style, I'd say baseball hat and pants with a soccer shirt, but I don't have a specific template in mind.

Any chance we could get a vector copy of the comp logo posted somewhere for download, for use in the entries?

http://www.mediafire.com/?inkqogdmwvz - .ai (Illustrator 6.0)

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2nmmnhyztg - .eps (PostScript 3.0 as well as other programs)

http://www.mediafire.com/?tyzjyagz0mi - .png (PhotoShop/PhotoStudio/etc. can Magic Wand the background off)

So, for hats, do you mean baseball hats, or any hat? Say, a jester hat for example.

I had in mind baseball hats, but any hat would be acceptable. It's a risk-reward for the kitsch of the uniform if you want to do something outlandish, but if your team were the Jesters and you wore jester hats, I wouldn't penalize you. Each individual voter might, but that's not my decision.

I know I may not have a large number of posts here, but I hope that doesn't hinder me being allowed to enter. (I have been around for a while.)

If I can enter, I'll take Indianapolis.

For you and Crash, the contest is open to everyone. The voting, however, is for established members only. There have been problems with guys creating dupe accounts just to vote for themselves. If you have a solid concept, though, the votes will come on their own accord.

One quick question, what does this mean?
Each team is also required to include its own textured kickball for in-game use; the ball is unique to the NAKA like stadia are to Major League Baseball. The ball needs to be included with the logos in the presentation, and at the very least, it needs to feature a team-used color. Any other logos, textures, or images are completely optional.

Could anyone explain what I am suppose to do for this?

You know how NCAA teams play with basketballs that have their logo embossed on them? It's the same concept, but your kickball can be any color, texture, or image.

I didn't think I would be able to do this at first, but I should have more than enough time over break to finish this.

City: Joliet, IL (145,000)

Colors: Black, White, Silver

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I had in mind baseball hats, but any hat would be acceptable. It's a risk-reward for the kitsch of the uniform if you want to do something outlandish, but if your team were the Jesters and you wore jester hats, I wouldn't penalize you. Each individual voter might, but that's not my decision.
That's good to know, although I think I'll end up just going with baseball hats. Having a themed hat may make it a bit over-the-top. And I wasn't planning on using jester hats, that was just an example.

spacer.png

I can't promise that I'll actually be able to complete this, just due to my time constraints, BUT, if you're willing to bend the rules a bit and allow a city with a population just a shade over 56,000 to enter into your league (according to the last census--I'm willing to bet that numbr has jumped since Katrina), I'll sign on for my hometown of Pensacola, Florida.

(FWIW, add in the metro area and the population goes up to well over 400,000.)

If nothing else, this should be some good practice for me to develop my skillzzz...

Question, though: you say you want all entries in a single .png file. Just from me doing things the way I do things (and I'm sure I ain't the only one who has this question), it'll be quite difficult to fit a logo package and uniform set into one singular file. I can work to condense things down to two (some kind of way), so whaddya say about flexing the rules a bit in that regard?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If possible, I would like to re-enter this now that I am more informed.

Name: twins_vikes_wild_mn

City: St. Paul, MN (pop. 290,000ish)

Team Nickname: TBD

Colors: TBD

Other: TBD

First order of business, I am glad to see so many people aboard for this contest. My schedule is crazy hectic in the near future, so I may be infrequent in checking in, but I will try. It seems as if a lot of people have good ideas, so you may embark upon said ideas at any time. Again, though, please check the first page for the dates in which I will be accepting submissions (starts next week).

I have checked out all cities, and most of them seem fine. The only questionable ones were Key West and Annapolis. Key West city, FL is only 25,000, but the region is much more, so I will allow it. Annapolis is near some population centers, so though its population is only 36,000 (goal was 75,000), at least it's not some unknown hick town, which is what I wanted to avoid.

Also, everything on the first page has been updated with new applicants. If you have reserved a city, please check the first page and make sure I have your name as well as the correct city (ex. "Buffalo" meaning Buffalo, NY or Buffalo, IL?).

Now, for the comments:

Don't cap the number yet. There will be a bunch of no-shows and drop outs.

I am afraid of that... I think it will work out, but if you or anyone else wants a cap, please recommend one.

Are we going to use one specific template for this to keep it uniform or just anything we like?

I don't have a template at the moment, so I would say to not worry about it. Also, I say in the rules that some voters may hold the template as part of the challenge, so don't just junk one together. If there were a given style, I'd say baseball hat and pants with a soccer shirt, but I don't have a specific template in mind.

I've always seen kickball as a shorts and t-shirt affair, will I loose points if I have shorts as opposed to pants?

New personnel added, and here are the recent questions:

I can't promise that I'll actually be able to complete this, just due to my time constraints, BUT, if you're willing to bend the rules a bit and allow a city with a population just a shade over 56,000 to enter into your league (according to the last census--I'm willing to bet that numbr has jumped since Katrina), I'll sign on for my hometown of Pensacola, Florida.

If nothing else, this should be some good practice for me to develop my skillzzz...

For well-known cities, I can bend the low-limit. I just didn't want no-name towns on that side of the spectrum. Same with Beverly Hills of the new entries and Ann Arbor and Key West of the old ones.

Question, though: you say you want all entries in a single .png file. Just from me doing things the way I do things (and I'm sure I ain't the only one who has this question), it'll be quite difficult to fit a logo package and uniform set into one singular file. I can work to condense things down to two (some kind of way), so whaddya say about flexing the rules a bit in that regard?

I would still like to handle only one file, so if you need to patch files together to make one large proof sheet, that would be great. All images in the voting page will be in text hyperlinks that, when clicked, expand to 100% -- I'm not going to put all of the images directly in the post. So if you're worried about size, then make the file any size you need, but I'd prefer it to be on a single, say, 1200 x 800 image.

I have seen many contests where people take 3 images for their concept (NAHL tournament, for example), but then there are others (Sketch-athon 1) where everyone fits their stuff onto one image, but the size of the image is unrestricted. So that's what I'd prefer. Make it big if you need, but each is one image.

This is a co-ed league, right? I'm creating "action templates", including a female template.

I never defined the age/gender restrictions, so if they can play, you can put them on your team. :P

I've always seen kickball as a shorts and t-shirt affair, will I loose points if I have shorts as opposed to pants?

I believe I said in the first post that shorts or pants are fine. I was just thinking of what an easy template might be.

If I were doing one, I would do baseball hat, soccer shirt, and basketball shorts. Either shorts or long pants is acceptable.

I know I may not have a large number of posts here, but I hope that doesn't hinder me being allowed to enter. (I have been around for a while.)

If I can enter, I'll take Indianapolis.

For you and Crash, the contest is open to everyone. The voting, however, is for established members only. There have been problems with guys creating dupe accounts just to vote for themselves. If you have a solid concept, though, the votes will come on their own accord.

Thanks!

tumblr_liile3w9oT1qdgbiwo1_400.png

New personnel added, and here are the recent questions:

For well-known cities, I can bend the low-limit. I just didn't want no-name towns on that side of the spectrum. Same with Beverly Hills of the new entries and Ann Arbor and Key West of the old ones.

I would still like to handle only one file, so if you need to patch files together to make one large proof sheet, that would be great. All images in the voting page will be in text hyperlinks that, when clicked, expand to 100% -- I'm not going to put all of the images directly in the post. So if you're worried about size, then make the file any size you need, but I'd prefer it to be on a single, say, 1200 x 800 image.

I have seen many contests where people take 3 images for their concept (NAHL tournament, for example), but then there are others (Sketch-athon 1) where everyone fits their stuff onto one image, but the size of the image is unrestricted. So that's what I'd prefer. Make it big if you need, but each is one image.

This is a co-ed league, right? I'm creating "action templates", including a female template.

I never defined the age/gender restrictions, so if they can play, you can put them on your team. :P

I believe I said in the first post that shorts or pants are fine. I was just thinking of what an easy template might be.

If I were doing one, I would do baseball hat, soccer shirt, and basketball shorts. Either shorts or long pants is acceptable.

So, then will you bend the rules for Youngstown, Ohio? If so, I may do it.

6fQjS3M.png

Can we have a team name already in use by another pro team? (ex. could I name my team the St. Paul Capitals even though Capitals is the name of a hockey team?)

Archived