Patsfan99

Red Sox new logo

Why must the Sox have so many different jerseys???

$$$$$$$$ :P

I've always wondered how popular baseball jerseys actually are.

A baseball replica is more expensive than an NBA or NFL equivalent, and not nearly as cool looking as an NHL sweater. If I have $90 to spend, I'm not forking it over for a replica MLB jersey.

A baseball replica is more expensive than an NBA or NFL equivalent, and not nearly as cool looking as an NHL sweater. If I have $90 to spend, I'm not forking it over for a replica MLB jersey.

Actually, a baseball replica of equal quality to an NBA or NFL replica (ie sewn logos) is cheaper by about $40. And the authentic baseball jerseys are about $100 cheaper than NBA and NFL authentics.

And, just like NFL and NHL jerseys, baseball jerseys are popular with baseball fans.

Actually, a baseball replica of equal quality to an NBA or NFL replica (ie sewn logos) is cheaper by about $40. And the authentic baseball jerseys are about $100 cheaper than NBA and NFL authentics.

And, just like NFL and NHL jerseys, baseball jerseys are popular with baseball fans.

I only wear a hockey jersey if I'm going to a game or out skating -- I'd wear a baseball jersey anywhere (well, not a funeral); especially in the Summer.

If you're going for a super-throwbacky-type look, then... well, I guess. I'd lose the front number and add red placket piping though.

Also, with that jersey, all a DIYer would have to do is obtain a patch of the primary logo, stick it on a cheap gray jersey, and now the team has lost a sale. I'm not sure how many people would actually do that, but I'd think that the team wants to make their jerseys a little tougher to counterfeit (not that there's too much they can realistically do though.)

Ah, the Yankees.

It's that time again, when the spring turns warmer, when the birds return, when the Yankees finally make their first trip to Fenway Park. And this time they're bringing Mark Teixeira with them. Uh oh. But none of the questions in this week's mailbag relate to the Yankees (though there is one that touches on their uniforms). There were a ton of questions in the last two weeks about the new uniforms that the Red Sox have adopted, especially the new road grays.

If we judge by my inbox, there's not a whole lot of love for the grays. I've gotten comments about the choice of blue socks and the similarities to the Yankees' road uniforms. There has been disapproval of the "Hanging Sox" hats and questions of whether we've returned to the Sox of the 1980s. I'm sure there are some people who like the new uniforms -- they just haven't e-mailed me.

But if that's all that there is to gripe about -- and, really, it's not -- then it's a sign that the Sox are doing well. And they are. They come into this weekend's series against the Yankees with seven straight wins to get them out of the cellar in the American League East. The pitchers are pitching well. The hitters are getting hot. The Sox are winning.

What could a fan want more?

Hi, Amalie ~ Kudos on your coverage. My question: What in the name of all that's holy are the Red Sox doing wearing blue socks on the road? It's clearly messing with their mojo. If a little more navy is what the designers are looking for, why not bring back the classic red-white-and-blue stirrups with the away unis? How might we old-school fans register our disapproval with navy socks and lobby for the old stripes? Is there anyone in the front office who might listen?

Mark, Ashland

Hi, Amalie. First time sending in a question, but I think its a very important one. Why does the team continue to wear those stupid alternate uniforms?! Besides having the audacity to remove the iconic 'B' from the hat for the first time since before Ted Williams played, I tune in and it feels like a new look every night! What are we the Rockies?! Not to mention, I cannot stand having anything other than home whites and away grays. You seem to know people in the organization...does anyone else seem to agree with me?!

Tom, Beverly

A: I wanted to include multiple questions about the uniforms because it's definitely the most common question I've gotten for this week's edition of the mailbag. I agree that the new road grays look very similar to the Yankees away uniforms, and I'm with you on the confusion about the use of blue for the socks instead of the red, like the ones the team wears at home. I talked to Sox chief operating officer Mike Dee on this topic yesterday, and asked him why the Sox have chosen to go with blue socks with the uniforms. Apparently the blue socks weren't a major design element in the new uniforms. "Socks are not usually a prime consideration when you design uniforms, because two years ago we had 25 guys who wore their pants down to their shoes," Dee said yesterday. "Socks have been more noticeable than they have been in the past. The story on the blue socks is there was never a commitment that we were only going to wear blue socks with this uniform. We're still getting used to the uniforms. We'll probably wear red socks at some point." So look out for that. As for whether there are others out there that don't like the socks, there are quite a few that have been e-mailing me and commenting on the blog that agree with that point of view.

Love you, Amalie.

Also, with that jersey, all a DIYer would have to do is obtain a patch of the primary logo, stick it on a cheap gray jersey, and now the team has lost a sale.

Great point, that's one reason I went with a grey background on the logo. Additionally, I think a white ball on a uniform is forbidden anyway!

I wouldn't wear any jerseys.

I'm the same, jersey's are for players, which I don't qualify for at this time... maybe next life.

Imagine being a dude (not dating a player of course!) and walking around your high school with a full fledged varsity jersey on!

Caps, jackets, other garments are OK I guess!

Imagine being a dude (not dating a player of course!) and walking around your high school with a full fledged varsity jersey on!

In my high school, that's exactly what the football team does on game days. At least they did when I was there.

In my high school, that's exactly what the football team does on game days. At least they did when I was there.

We did too. They also made us wear our baseball jersey's on game days, accompanied by a shirt and tie underneath for away games. I never remember any other team around the school doing this, just football and baseball.

We did too. They also made us wear our baseball jersey's on game days, accompanied by a shirt and tie underneath for away games. I never remember any other team around the school doing this, just football and baseball.

I think he meant non-players. And just how weird it would look if you were a fan of your own high school team and wore a jersey.

Question for Colorwerx:

Do you know if the Red Sox changed the fabric for their alternate jerseys between last year and this year? The new ones look very different to me (but maybe it's just the lack of piping, who knows).

----------------------------------------------------

And BTW, I've :censored: ing had it with the hanging sox hat. I love it, but it looks like absolute :censored: on the field. Wear the "B" cap with the alternates PLEASE!

I think he meant non-players. And just how weird it would look if you were a fan of your own high school team and wore a jersey.

That's right, non-players wearing game jersey in high school, college is not cool. Unless a girlfriend wears her athlete boyfriend's jersey... that's OK by me.

Of course, that would not work in reverse, girl athlete, boy friend wearing her jersey.

The point being, I personally wouldn't buy even a pro jersey for wearing, but collecting... maybe.

(No disrespect intended to those fans who do wear game jerseys... unless personalized with their own name or even worse, their nicknames like Moose or Patchez!!!)

That's right, non-players wearing game jersey in high school, college is not cool. Unless a girlfriend wears her athlete boyfriend's jersey... that's OK by me.

Of course, that would not work in reverse, girl athlete, boy friend wearing her jersey.

The point being, I personally wouldn't buy even a pro jersey for wearing, but collecting... maybe.

(No disrespect intended to those fans who do wear game jerseys... unless personalized with their own name or even worse, their nicknames like Moose or Patchez!!!)

Can we seriously get back on topic please?

Can we seriously get back on topic please?

You tell 'em, Pat. :P

I expected a wave of joy about the red socks announcement, not babble about when wearing a baseball jersey is cool. :P

The design of the "socks" cap is fine I guess, but it just seemed like the entire team was wearing a fashion cap last night. Very few teams can get away with not wearing letters on their cap.