Red Sox new logo

Patsfan99

I like the hanging sox on their alternate road jersey. My boyfriend just bought me the new navy alt and new road jersey(both swingman replica) for my birthday and I think the alt jersey stands out beautifully with the cap. It would be awesome if the Bo Sox brought back their red alt cap with the navy bill to accompany their red alternate jersey.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Socks have been more noticeable than they have been in the past. The story on the blue socks is there was never a commitment that we were only going to wear blue socks with this uniform. We're still getting used to the uniforms. We'll probably wear red socks at some point." So look out for that.

I'm going to guess they revert to red socks when they first visit the new Yankee Stadium in early May.

"Socks have been more noticeable than they have been in the past. The story on the blue socks is there was never a commitment that we were only going to wear blue socks with this uniform. We're still getting used to the uniforms. We'll probably wear red socks at some point." So look out for that.

I'm going to guess they revert to red socks when they first visit the new Yankee Stadium in early May.

I love the look of their new road jerseys, even with the navy socks. It has a very classic feel, even with just the touches of red on the cap ("B") and the socks patch on the sleeve. The lettering and numbers have an effect that look awesome.

... But, it's just odd for the Red Sox. If they start wearing actual red socks, though I like the look with the navy, it would definately still look great and help the rest of the uniform that much, since there isn't much red on it.

I love the look of their new road jerseys, even with the navy socks. It has a very classic feel, even with just the touches of red on the cap ("B") and the socks patch on the sleeve. The lettering and numbers have an effect that look awesome.

... But, it's just odd for the Red Sox. If they start wearing actual red socks, though I like the look with the navy, it would definately still look great and help the rest of the uniform that much, since there isn't much red on it.

That's exactly how I feel. When I look at the blue socks, it looks awesome, even though it makes no sense for the "Red Sox." Honestly, once they wear red socks I will probably feel the same way. I think either would work. I just don't love the sleeve patch.

Here is a mention about the red undershirts by a baseball writer for WEEI.com in Boston. He makes it sound like the club's poor record with the all-blue look caused the chage to red.

There was something different about the Red Sox Monday night.

They wore red undershirts.

This has been in line with this team's approach thus far throughout the 2009 season, seeing a problem and fixing it. In this case the Sox hadn't done well on the road -- and the new all-blue attire away from Fenway had some players grumbling -- so a little color was added. Problem solved.

The Red Sox won their third road game of the season, beating Cleveland, 3-1, at Progressive Field, while sprucing up their previously drab garb in the process.

But suddenly the search for improvement has become increasingly more difficult. When you've won 11 straight, while enjoying another rock-solid outing from starter TIm Wakefield, and game-changing, ninth-inning home run from Jason Bay, change isn't really a priority.

After a 2-6 start the results were first to be altered, and then came the uniform problem. So now what? Well, David Ortiz still hasn't hit a home run.

Until we wait for the next shoe to drop, or the Sox to match the 12-game win streak of 2006, let's look at five things we learned Monday night ...

blue or red undershirts, i don't care either way.

the red socks are all i care about, and now that they're here, i officially love the new road jersey.

that's a sexy looking uniform. simplistic and clean.

all they need to do is add red trim to the font and numbers to complete this unis

No! That is a terrible look. I've never liked any variation of a Red Sox uniform when its blue lettering outlined in red.

As for these road uni's, they've certainly grown on me -- but that doesn't mean I like them. There was a lot of history with the previous set and I still see this as change for the sake of change. Definitely could have been worse though.

For you Blue Sox fans, it looks as if they are not completely dead yet.

From the Boston Globe:

Dee issues some fashion statements

By Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff | April 29, 2009

CLEVELAND - And on the seventh road game, the socks were red.

After beginning the year with blue socks to go with their new road gray uniforms, the Red Sox switched to red for Monday night's game, to go along with red shirts under their uniform tops. But because the players who normally wear their socks up weren't in the game - Brad Penny, Justin Masterson, Jason Varitek - they weren't immediately visible.

That changed last night when Penny started against the Indians, with Varitek behind the plate.

Sox chief operating officer Mike Dee said last Thursday that the socks were not a prime consideration in uniform design, especially because most of the time the socks aren't visible. He added that the Sox probably would switch from blue to red socks at some point. That was Monday. They will go back and forth throughout the season.

The uniform changes are drawing both praise and criticism as fans get used to the new looks: the road grays, the Friday night alternate jerseys, the "hanging Sox" logo hats.

"I have been a part of a couple uniform designs in my 15-year career, including the 2003 red uniform tops," Dee said. "Especially here, we all recognize the marks of the team, the uniform, and all those things are held in such high regard.

"I think that's why you'd never see us change the 'B' or the Red Sox font. [The new uniforms] update the image and the brand that's evolved, which is the 'hanging Sox,' which has really developed in the last five years.

"I know uniforms anywhere stoke the fire for a lot of passion and interest."

Dee emphasized that most of the alterations have been worn by the Sox previously - even the "hanging Sox" caps, in 1934. So, he said, it was more of an update than a change.

According to Bobby D'Angelo of Twins Enterprise, it is "amazing how a lot of stuff isn't selling, but the new stuff is selling. People get very traditional, but the socks are still a traditional look for the Red Sox. I think if it was something funky and weird, they'd be opposed to it."

As for the contention that the road grays resemble those worn by the Yankees, Dee said, "I think there are a lot of teams in baseball that have uniforms that are similar. When I was in San Diego, we made a change to take orange off, and they said they look a lot like the Dodgers'.

"I think there are a lot of similarities to the color scheme and type of gray. The Yankees have a white shadow around the letters 'New York,' which is totally different than the blue 'Boston' on our uniforms.

"Twenty-eight of the 30 teams have gray uniforms. The Yankees don't have a patent or exclusivity on navy blue or gray. We think the 'hanging Sox' on the sleeve give us a central identity that the other teams don't have."

Archived