Red Sox new logo

Patsfan99

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The number font looks weird in just solid navy. Did the '80s roads use that custom font, or a more Yankees-like font?

It was standard block, so I guess "Yankees-like" would be an apt description. The last time the Sox roadies had blue fancy letters on it like the '09 set was 1937.

Here are some nice pictures.

Make note of this at the bottom of the page linked to in the quoted post:

PS - Tomorrow, all around Boston, members of the Front Office will be sporting the new duds. If you see one of them, and compliment them on it, they'll give you their new shirt, right off their back! Keep them eyes peeled!!

At the news conference, the MC announced this would be happening at some Boston-area malls and many other high-traffic spots in an around the city, like Harvard Square and such.

The number font looks weird in just solid navy. Did the '80s roads use that custom font, or a more Yankees-like font?

It was standard block, so I guess "Yankees-like" would be an apt description. The last time the Sox roadies had blue fancy letters on it like the '09 set was 1937.

Actually, the Red Sox used blue fancy numerals from the 30's until they switched to the pullovers in 1972.

Here is a 1969 jersey

1366656159_9adebe5c70.jpg

And a 1955 Ted Williams jersey.

1366656037_7d3f405309.jpg

When they switched back to button down jerseys with blue lettering in 1979, for whatever reason, they used the Wilson Varsity Block on the road. I never liked that.

1367558918_81e5009e06.jpg

capt.2b734ce84f3449e4a1eeeb155cb2126f.red_sox_uniform_baseball_maea103.jpg

yea, im not liking those, need to go back to last years road unis.

SWEET TAP DANCING JEHOVAH....NO! NO! HELL-NO!

Maybe if they did add red trim around all the lettering, nameplates and numbers and piping back on the sleeves it wouldn't be so bad, but even so it still screams "wannabe Yankees". Go back to the previous set.

capt.2b734ce84f3449e4a1eeeb155cb2126f.red_sox_uniform_baseball_maea103.jpg

yea, im not liking those, need to go back to last years road unis.

Is it okay to like both the old and new road unis?

Really, as long as the Red Sox keep the same classic font in front and number style on back, they're good by me!

Those new road jerseys look too drab to me. They would look better if they had red trim around the letters, as well as some red piping on the front and sleeves. The home alt would look better if it still had the navy piping. Without piping, they just look too plain.

Less Red? I don't see how this is an improvement...

The logo is more 'reworked' than 'new'

they took out the baseball and circular background and wordmark and left the socks, that's all

teams with emblem with no workmark: Houston (star), Baltimore (bird), Cleveland (racist picture), Toronto (bird, although they mostly wore the 'T' one last season)

I think some teams should try using a logo instead of a wordmark sometimes, but it's MLB so tradition is king

While these are OK, they aren't an improvement. Maybe I don't like them because Jim Rice and his arrogant ass is wearing it, I don't know. But I do know their previous set was much classier than this. The retro-feel seems a bit forced if you ask me. And to be honest, these look more like a predecessor to the previous set, not a successor.

The new logo isn't doing it for me either. The font seems to thin and not as bold as before, making for a real weak logo IMO.

I can't say I understand this sudden return to blue dominance after years of Henry & Co. fazing out blue and forcing red down our throats (under shirt, alternate uniform/cap.. etc.)

Overall this "new" look just doesn't do it. And I'm a bit disappointed.

Archived