The new NCAA 3-point line

BJ Sands

As we all know, the NCAA pushed the men's 3-point line back to the international length. That, however, has caused a pretty ugly bit of clutter on every college court, since the women's line is still the same.

3ptline.jpg

I was trying to think of any way to make this not look completely terrible but haven't come up with anything.

As we all know, the NCAA pushed the men's 3-point line back to the international length. That, however, has caused a pretty ugly bit of clutter on every college court, since the women's line is still the same.

3ptline.jpg

I was trying to think of any way to make this not look completely terrible but haven't come up with anything.

It's actually not the International line.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

3ptline.jpg

It's actually not the International line.

It isn't? Crud, my bad.

I posted this at the end of a loooong day of work. My brain was fried.

The NCAA line is three inches longer

(That's what she said.)

I don't really think it's a problem -- outside of looking cluttered. If it was affecting the game, and confusing players, it'd be a problem, but as far as I know it's not. I can't imagine one think line would be any more pleasing on the eyes. It'd look especially awful when they play on an NBA teams court and they have the NBA three point line and that thick college line.

IUe6Hvh.png

They could just both use the international line, and be done with it.

But, they've got to be unique.

Yeah, but of course the international line is changing too. Here's a comparison:

Previous NCAA Men's/current NCAA Women's: 19'9" (6.02m)

Current FIBA: 20'6" (6.25m)

New NCAA Men's: 20'9" (6.32m)

New FIBA: 22'2" (6.75m)

NBA: 23'9" (7.23m)

Imagine the court clutter with all those lines on one court.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I've been trying to find a picture of the old ACC 3-point line in the late 80s where it was around 19 feet and actually inside the top of the key. Can anyone help?

No photo or video, but it was not the late 1980s's, it was 1982 and I remember it seeing it specifically at games involving NC State. Their rubber floor also made it memorable in my mind. That ACC arc was from 17 feet 9 inches. Even 1983 title game has the 19'9" arc on New Mexico's floor.

History of the NCAA 3 Point Line

I made an edit to change the link.

I've been trying to find a picture of the old ACC 3-point line in the late 80s where it was around 19 feet and actually inside the top of the key. Can anyone help?

No photo or video, but it was not the late 1980s's, it was 1982 and I remember it seeing it specifically at games involving NC State. Their rubber floor also made it memorable in my mind. That ACC arc was from 17 feet 9 inches. Even 1983 title game has the 19'9" arc on New Mexico's floor.

History of the NCAA 3 Point Line

I made an edit to change the link.

Awesome! That helps a lot then...I searched YouTube and found a few decent screen caps:

First, from Clemson:

acc3pt.jpg

And now Greensboro Coliseum, with the interesting different-color treatment:

acc3pt2.jpg

It just looks so...odd.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived