I feel like everywhere I look there's Aachen Bold

The_Admiral

Maybe it's because "Name That Font" has honed my typeface recognition ability, but I feel like there's a sht ton of Aachen Bold everywhere these days. It's not a bad font, really, it works for Wisconsin sports and a few other places here and there, but still. Lot of it around. That and Rockwell Black.

Maybe this can be merged with similar threads about typeface overuse and how it freaks us out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe it's because "Name That Font" has honed my typeface recognition ability, but I feel like there's a sht ton of Aachen Bold everywhere these days. It's not a bad font, really, it works for Wisconsin sports and a few other places here and there, but still. Lot of it around. That and Rockwell Black.

Maybe this can be merged with similar threads about typeface overuse and how it freaks us out.

There was too much Aachen bold about 2-3 years ago. It's still in use, but from what I can tell it's popularity has dropped off significantly.

Rename this thread the "Aachen Bold Witchhunt" and then we'll see just how much is really out there! ^_^

For starters, I'll throw out the University of Maryland. And, this year at least, it appears that the University of Nevada's been using a thinned-out version of Aachen for their football jersey numerals. (Oh...and since we're speaking of football, we could also include the pre-Power Rangers-esque San Diego Chargers.)

Let the witch hunt commence...GO!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Every font is a great font when used correctly. I have more respect for the people who find clever, pleasing and innovative ways to use bandit fonts like Trajan, Comic Sans, Copperplate, Times Roman, etc. than the people who use 'comfort fonts' because they know that they will almost always look good (I'm talking about Helvetica, Trade Gothic, the Gotham revolution, and so on).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Every font is a great font when used correctly. I have more respect for the people who find clever, pleasing and innovative ways to use bandit fonts like Trajan, Comic Sans, Copperplate

Eh, I guess I just feel like some fonts are horrible in any setting...like Copperplate. I can't stand to see it used.

• 2 weeks later...
I assume a lot of people use Aachen because they're lazy. It's usually the first font in their drop down menu.

whoa! i'm all for sharing, but save some of the "designers secrets" -- yeesh

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I assume a lot of people use Aachen because they're lazy. It's usually the first font in their drop down menu.

You should design a really awesome font called AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I always wondered what that font was called, and I agree I do see it a lot.

But when a member of this board showed me the font Shadowrun (similar to Bold Fritz Quadrata), I've seen it everywhere, and it's probably on fifteen different things in my house.

The Milwaukee Bucks use Friz Quadrata for their letterhead. Used to be on the baseline, too.

Rename this thread the "Aachen Bold Witchhunt" and then we'll see just how much is really out there! ^_^

For starters, I'll throw out the University of Maryland. And, this year at least, it appears that the University of Nevada's been using a thinned-out version of Aachen for their football jersey numerals. (Oh...and since we're speaking of football, we could also include the pre-Power Rangers-esque San Diego Chargers.)

Let the witch hunt commence...GO!

It's like everywhere I look and everywhere I go, I'm seeing somebody using Aachen Bold. But it ain't no thang, because my homey Brandon O hooked me up with the font ID on the low...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived