Group Project: NFL Reserve Division

fishheatcats

Going to post mine in a bit, but just to let everyone know the name will be the Albuquerque Statesmen, with more of a focus on the sun from the state flag and the native american culture

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Memphis Pharaohs continued:

Logos (mainly shown on 3 different backgrounds simply to show the team colors. Also, the "Pharaoh" is on the sleeves of the jerseys):

Logos.png

If you leave his chin beard thing gold like the rest of the logo, there could potentially be a subliminal "M" worked in there...

I like these. Nice work. I think I might have put them in Springfield, MO instead of Memphis, TN. There might not be too many more Rams fans then there are Titans fans there though but you might have better knowledge of that then I do. I also wouldn't mind the name Springfeild Pharaohs or Missouri Pharaohs. That's just my opinion though.

The concept is solid. I do like the gold helmets but I think I perfer the change to the navy helmet anyways. Again nice work.

I went for more of the MiLB Triple-A concept. The major cities without an NFL team, closest to the parent club. Plus, from what I know about of Memphis (I have a lot of family there), Memphis doesn't care too much for the city of Nashville, and vice versa. Especially after the Oilers chose to move to Nashville instead of Memphis (after Memphis was in the running for an expansion team, that became the Jaguars) and after the Oilers agreed to play 2 seasons in Memphis while building their stadium in Nashville, but leaving after only one season and playing that second season at Vanderbilt. Memphis wasn't too happy with that, either.

So, yes, I essentially took the Triple-A, where the Memphis Redbirds are the affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Plus, living in Springfield, Mo, I know first hand there is no way we'd accomodate a football team of this level. I know it's strictly fantasy, but I prefer to look at these projects from a logistic, real, perspective as if I was really planning this team, with a little of fantasy thrown in.

Plus, the "Pharaohs" designation is specific too Memphis. (Memphis is an acient city in Egypt. Thus the reason for The Pyramid in Memphis, TN. Plus there used to be an Indoor(?) football team called the Memphis Pharaohs.)

Thanks for the great explaination. That totally makes sence. Great work.

I went for more of the MiLB Triple-A concept. The major cities without an NFL team, closest to the parent club. Plus, from what I know about of Memphis (I have a lot of family there), Memphis doesn't care too much for the city of Nashville, and vice versa. Especially after the Oilers chose to move to Nashville instead of Memphis (after Memphis was in the running for an expansion team, that became the Jaguars) and after the Oilers agreed to play 2 seasons in Memphis while building their stadium in Nashville, but leaving after only one season and playing that second season at Vanderbilt. Memphis wasn't too happy with that, either.

So, yes, I essentially took the Triple-A, where the Memphis Redbirds are the affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Plus, living in Springfield, Mo, I know first hand there is no way we'd accomodate a football team of this level. I know it's strictly fantasy, but I prefer to look at these projects from a logistic, real, perspective as if I was really planning this team, with a little of fantasy thrown in.

Plus, the "Pharaohs" designation is specific to Memphis. (Memphis is an ancient city in Egypt. Thus the reason for The Pyramid in Memphis, TN. Plus there used to be an Indoor(?) football team called the Memphis Pharaohs.)

Exactly right. Memphis does not like Nashville pretty much because of the Oilers/Titans fiasco. The Triple-A explanation makes complete sense when you consider the Redbirds.

Another reason why Memphis, TN, is associated with Memphis, Egypt, is because of their close proximities to the Mississippi and Nile Rivers, respectively. And there was an Arena Football team by the name of the Memphis Pharaohs that played in The Pyramid Arena from 1995 to 1996. They then became the Portland Forest Dragons in 1997 and eventually the Oklahoma Wranglers in 2000.

Anyway, I love your concept. My only suggestion, if you are wanting to pay homage to the AFL Pharaohs, is to maybe explore the idea of the Pharaoh's headdress as the helmet. Example:

Logos

AFL_Pharaohs.gif

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

I LOVE THE JACKALS HELMETS. THOSE ARE TOUGH COLORS TO LOOK GOOD ON A UNIFORM. IM ANXIOUS TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH

capslock.jpg

LMAO

IMO that Jackals helmet would look better on White. Cyan might be a bit much.

OMG I feel like Mr Beastly.

Ummm... I'm sorry if I sound ignorant and/or stupid, but who's this Mr. Beastly I keep hearing about? (Mostly people asking if I'm him because of my name.)

Something I was thinking for when the voting comes around is why not just use the established divisions from the NFL rather than create just 4 geographical based divisions (the geography would still be preserved fairly well regardless). For competion sake, it would be nice to see the reserve division teams going against the same teams their profesional counterparts face off against.

Mr. Beastly was a complete newbie who didn't have the ability to write out his words. If the green bay threads are in a cache somewhere they should be published so that every newcomer knows how not to behave on the boards. The term "beastly" has become an adverb to denote when something is typed with a heavy Internet slang. u no lik this beastly wod tlk lik the nonstp + t pisd alot f ppl off so we tryd 2 mak hm stp bt he wodnt so we nged and nged til he fnly brk dwn + said "u r al meanyz i tryd 2 get btr by u r al meanyz so ths is the lst pst ull eva c frm me. So that's the story of Mr. Beastly, seriously is his, and spammys bear logo thread should be stickyed as "classic threads" for the vets to remember and n00bz (the ones who write like that) to learn.

RIP Mister Beaslty the Lost

EDIT I'VE FOUND THEM

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...&hl=Beastly

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...3&hl=Spammy

Just two of several

~?~

Something I was thinking for when the voting comes around is why not just use the established divisions from the NFL rather than create just 4 geographical based divisions (the geography would still be preserved fairly well regardless). For competion sake, it would be nice to see the reserve division teams going against the same teams their profesional counterparts face off against.

Thanks for the input, but that's a no-go. The reason I decided to set the league up with 4 geographically based divisions was first for realism. In a minor league, travel is a expense you want to keep as low as possible, so doing things geographically is best, and I also set it up with a pure single table soccer style schedule(home/away versus every other team in your division for 14 games). As for voting, this way keeps the process relatively quick, although I have added two wild card spots in the voting.

Mr. Beastly was a complete newbie who didn't have the ability to write out his words. If the green bay threads are in a cache somewhere they should be published so that every newcomer knows how not to behave on the boards. The term "beastly" has become an adverb to denote when something is typed with a heavy Internet slang. u no lik this beastly wod tlk lik the nonstp + t pisd alot f ppl off so we tryd 2 mak hm stp bt he wodnt so we nged and nged til he fnly brk dwn + said "u r al meanyz i tryd 2 get btr by u r al meanyz so ths is the lst pst ull eva c frm me. So that's the story of Mr. Beastly, seriously is his, and spammys bear logo thread should be stickyed as "classic threads" for the vets to remember and n00bz (the ones who write like that) to learn.

EDIT I'VE FOUND THEM

Just two of several

Wow. That's some story Mr. Beastly has. And he quit just as he was starting to be accepted. I went through those sames things in my 1st week! ^_^ I feel bad for spammy... He made a mistake, and should have been given another chance.

EDIT I'VE FOUND THEM

Just two of several

Wow. That's some story Mr. Beastly has. And he quit just as he was starting to be accepted. I went through those sames things in my 1st week! ^_^ I feel bad for spammy... He made a mistake, and should have been given another chance.

spammy is still going strong, he just hit the 100 post mark (rather quickly if you ask me). He'll never shed himself of that large bear shaped bolder looming above him though.

~?~

EDIT I'VE FOUND THEM

Just two of several

spammy is still going strong, he just hit the 100 post mark (rather quickly if you ask me). He'll never shed himself of that large bear shaped bolder looming above him though.

He could start by changing his avatar... sorry about hijacking this thread...

I like these. Nice work. I think I might have put them in Springfield, MO instead of Memphis, TN. There might not be too many more Rams fans then there are Titans fans there though but you might have better knowledge of that then I do. I also wouldn't mind the name Springfeild Pharaohs or Missouri Pharaohs. That's just my opinion though.

The concept is solid. I do like the gold helmets but I think I perfer the change to the navy helmet anyways. Again nice work.

Exactly! Just because the Cardinals have an affiliation with the Redbirds, doesn't mean Memphians like the Rams.

aZogIyu.pngfXsuJwP.png

Logos (mainly shown on 3 different backgrounds simply to show the team colors. Also, the "Pharaoh" is on the sleeves of the jerseys):

Logos.png

Helmets. I went with the navy-"M" helmet, but kinda liked the others too, so I thought I'd show the 4 possibilities:

Helmets.png

And here is the uniform look with a gold helmet and gold pants, what I originally was gonna do. If I went with this look, I'd probably only use gold pants, maybe occasionally white pants for an alternate look, but no navy pants. I don't like the appearance of a lighter color on the top (helmet) and darker on the bottom (pants). Looks too awkwardly unbalanced to me):

Gold-Helmets-Pants.png

Ok, you know the drill. Let the Music Factory fly.

The "M" looks like the old Memphis Redbirds Hat logo.

aZogIyu.pngfXsuJwP.png

Logos.png

Helmets. I went with the navy-"M" helmet, but kinda liked the others too, so I thought I'd show the 4 possibilities:

Helmets.png

And here is the uniform look with a gold helmet and gold pants, what I originally was gonna do. If I went with this look, I'd probably only use gold pants, maybe occasionally white pants for an alternate look, but no navy pants. I don't like the appearance of a lighter color on the top (helmet) and darker on the bottom (pants). Looks too awkwardly unbalanced to me):

Gold-Helmets-Pants.png

Ok, you know the drill. Let the Music Factory fly.

The "M" looks like the old Memphis Redbirds Hat logo.

S***. It's Brothers font, not the one used by the Redbirds, but when putting the oval behind it, I wasn't even thinking about that. The oval was not my first choice for it, so it never came to mind. Damn. I just had to give up the laptop for some people to use, so hopefully I'll be able to get it over the weekend and make some modifications.

Thanks for the input, but that's a no-go. The reason I decided to set the league up with 4 geographically based divisions was first for realism. In a minor league, travel is a expense you want to keep as low as possible, so doing things geographically is best, and I also set it up with a pure single table soccer style schedule(home/away versus every other team in your division for 14 games). As for voting, this way keeps the process relatively quick, although I have added two wild card spots in the voting.

but you made them all geographically linked to their parent teams anyway

i tried to put kc's team in portland and everyone said no go

so mine as well do them by the parent clubs divisions its almost the same anyway with only a few exceptions

but you made them all geographically linked to their parent teams anyway

i tried to put kc's team in portland and everyone said no go

so mine as well do them by the parent clubs divisions its almost the same anyway with only a few exceptions

Well actually, not so much. The NFL has "geographic" divisions where many teams to not fit into them. The current 8 were constructed mainly to preserve rivalries. For instance, the Dolphins, the southernmost team in the history of the league, are in the AFC East with the 3 northernmost teams in the conference. The Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East, and the St. Louis Rams are in the West. If it were up to me the AFC South would consist of Miami, Houston, Jacksonville and Tennessee. The East would be Baltimore, Indianapolis, Cleveland and Cincinatti and the North would be Pittsburgh, New England, Buffalo and New York.

Anyway back on topic, once I get all 32 submissions in(or at least the names of the cities they are in) I'll come up with the divisions.

Archived