What Your Favorite Team Might Have Been Called?

Saint Zephyr III

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8. Orlando Magic - The other candidates were the Heat, the Tropics, and god help me, the Juice.

The Miami Heat predate the Magic by one season. Does this mean that the franchise was in the process of being named before the Miami franchise announced its identity?

No. If I remember correctly (and guys correct me if I'm wrong on this), the four franchises (Miami, Orlando, and two others who for some reason escape me right now) were all announced at the same time, with two beginning one season and two the next.

Didn't I already say that?

:blink:

I remember reading in "The Handbook of Pro Basketball" in 1987 or 88 that stated that Rick Carlisle was "future Minneapolis Timberwolf material".

So I think the nicknames were set up pretty far ahead of time. Weren't they going to be Minneapolis instead of Minnesota at first?

Boy, speaking of that Louisiana Purchase rumor...is there anything dumber than proposing nicknames that seem to "go with the city name" only because there is something else named that? Like people talking about calling a team the Washington Monuments. There already is a Washington Monument. We don't need another one.

(Yet, Buffalo Bills gets grandfathered in, I guess.)

8. Orlando Magic - The other candidates were the Heat, the Tropics, and god help me, the Juice.

The Miami Heat predate the Magic by one season. Does this mean that the franchise was in the process of being named before the Miami franchise announced its identity?

No. If I remember correctly (and guys correct me if I'm wrong on this), the four franchises (Miami, Orlando, and two others who for some reason escape me right now) were all announced at the same time, with two beginning one season and two the next.

Didn't I already say that?

:blink:

I remember reading in "The Handbook of Pro Basketball" in 1987 or 88 that stated that Rick Carlisle was "future Minneapolis Timberwolf material".

So I think the nicknames were set up pretty far ahead of time. Weren't they going to be Minneapolis instead of Minnesota at first?

Boy, speaking of that Louisiana Purchase rumor...is there anything dumber than proposing nicknames that seem to "go with the city name" only because there is something else named that? Like people talking about calling a team the Washington Monuments. There already is a Washington Monument. We don't need another one.

(Yet, Buffalo Bills gets grandfathered in, I guess.)

From the Timberwolves official Web site:

Four months before the NBA granted Minnesota a franchise, the name "Timberwolves" was selected as the winner of a "Name the Team" contest.

The team was granted in 1987, so the name was chosen four months before that.

He had a few of the prototype caps from the mid-90s expansion -- St. Louis Stallions and Baltimore Bombers.

3011474167_c7638070b8.jpg

My dad has a Stallions t-shirt. He didn't have any idea what it was, but he got it in a box of stuff from an auction (if I'm remembering the story right). He asked me last time I visited, and I told him he had a bit of a collector's item there. (Or would, if he hadn't gotten a stain on it. Sheesh.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Carolina Panthers consider the name Jaguars, and the Jaguars the name Panthers?

Not sure about that, but the Panthers did consider "Cougars".

As for the Houston Texans, I think the final list was:

- Wildcatters

- Bobcats

- Apollos

- Texans

- Some name I forgot.

The "some name you forgot was "Stallions"

"Stallions" was considered because team owner Bob McNair is active in horse racing.

BTW, since the t-shirt with the prototype logo was posted, McNair was also the would-be owner of the St. Louis Stallions.

This makes me wonder, if McNair had chosen Stallions over Texans, would he have simply rebranded the St Louis Stallions gear for his Houston NFL franchise to use?

NYCdog.png

While we're talking about name-the-team contests, the New York Cosmos were named by the general manager, who wanted something like the then-red hot "Mets." So he thought "What's bigger than metropolitan? Cosmopolitan!"

So he named the team "Cosmos" and rigged a name-the-team contest, giving the "winners" a trip to Europe.

I think yes and no. The NBA probably has a lot to say in team names. Take the name Dragons for instance, it seems like they tried to pawn that off to New Jersey, Washington, Toronto, and Charlotte.

It's probably like the NHL when the sharks and ducks were granted franchises. Instant merchandise sales to kids. That's when the NHL started sharing merchandise revenues so was obviously part of a league directed marketing plan.

DEATH TO REEBOK

He had a few of the prototype caps from the mid-90s expansion -- St. Louis Stallions and Baltimore Bombers.

My dad has a Stallions t-shirt. He didn't have any idea what it was, but he got it in a box of stuff from an auction (if I'm remembering the story right). He asked me last time I visited, and I told him he had a bit of a collector's item there. (Or would, if he hadn't gotten a stain on it. Sheesh.)

Oxy-clean

Everyone loves a roundel.

Oxy-clean

That's what I was going to say. If you're worried about submerging the whole thing, you could just rub a paste into the specific spot...

[i swear I'm not Billy Mays, I just love OxiClean]

While we're talking about name-the-team contests, the New York Cosmos were named by the general manager, who wanted something like the then-red hot "Mets." So he thought "What's bigger than metropolitan? Cosmopolitan!"

So he named the team "Cosmos" and rigged a name-the-team contest, giving the "winners" a trip to Europe.

And depending on whom you believe from the film "Once in a Lifetime," the team's colors may have been chosen as part of the effort to lure Pelé.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Seattle (NFL) - The expansion group that didn't get the team had a nickname and logo. They were to be called the Kings. Hugh McEllheny (the "King") was part of the management group and isn't Seattle called the King City?

Actually, the geographical fit for "Kings" comes, not from the city, but the county. Seattle resides in King County and the official name of the Kingdome was the King County Domed Stadium. There was even a giant football on a tee with "KINGS" written on the sides sitting on a building near the 1st Avenue entrance to the Alaskan Way Viaduct.

Prior to the city's adoption of the Emerald City moniker in the 80's, Seattle was historically known as the Queen City and also the Jet City after the mid-50's introduction of Boeing commercial jetliners.

Back on topic - one of the popular names you'd hear during the Name The Team process was the Seattle Pioneers, and many were surprised when the name Seahawks was announced.

I teach P.E. classes and when I have to divide the class up into two groups, each group has a designated "team" name;

The Boston Buttscratchers and the North Carolina Nosepickers.

I'd like to see those names used!!! Of course I'm kidding, but those are my pro team names. You Asked! :P

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived