What Your Favorite Team Might Have Been Called?

Saint Zephyr III

I find myself agreeing with BBTV concerning the Browns.

Yes, they have a great history. Have they won anything worth bragging about since the dawn of the SB era though?

A change would be for the best. There are ways to update the Browns look without going nuts. Something that's modern, but that also honours where the team came from.

My solution would be to bring back the white face masks, drop the needlessly thin striped pants, slap the =B= logo on the helmet, and change to Colts-style sleeve/shoulder striping that goes white/orange/white on the brown jerseys, and brown/orange/brown on the roads. Simple update that allows for the modernization of the football jersey while staying true to the team's roots.

In other words, throw out everything that defines the club's visual identity. Hardly "true to the team's roots."

No, thanks. They're fine as they are.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find myself agreeing with BBTV concerning the Browns.

Yes, they have a great history. Have they won anything worth bragging about since the dawn of the SB era though?

A change would be for the best. There are ways to update the Browns look without going nuts. Something that's modern, but that also honours where the team came from.

My solution would be to bring back the white face masks, drop the needlessly thin striped pants, slap the =B= logo on the helmet, and change to Colts-style sleeve/shoulder striping that goes white/orange/white on the brown jerseys, and brown/orange/brown on the roads. Simple update that allows for the modernization of the football jersey while staying true to the team's roots.

In other words, throw out everything that defines the club's visual identity. Hardly "true to the team's roots."

No, thanks. They're fine as they are.

Same colours, traditional striping more in tune with today's NFL uniforms, plus the striping would be in the same style that they use now. It would just be arranged differently. The helmet colour and striping would remain unchanged, it would just have a logo added. Sounds pretty "rootsy" to me.

There is traditional and then there's boring. The Browns, particularly the helmet, is boring.

If the franchise could bring themselves to pick one of the many alts they've had over the years and designate it the primary mark for networks and websites to use, even if they kept it off the uniform, the overall blandness of their design might be tempered.

As it is though, it seems the team refuses to adopt a real logo as long as their helmet is logo-less. A 3-D picture of a helmet is not a logo. That would be like a hockey team designating a picture of their jersey as their logo. It just doesn't work.

The Browns have a unique colour scheme and a couple of nice logos to choose from. They can have a uniform that's both traditionally styled and truly unique. Instead they go with a design that leaves a lot to be desired. Now the only thing that allows them to stand out is the colour set. And that can only go so far.

So you want the Browns to lose their unique-ness in order to become another me-too piped/side paneled NFL team that's no different than any other jersey that's been designed in the last ten years?

No thanks.

So you want the Browns to lose their unique-ness in order to become another me-too piped/side paneled NFL team that's no different than any other jersey that's been designed in the last ten years?

No thanks.

Did you read what I said?

My ideal Browns unis;

Brown jerseys at home, white block numbers, white-orange-white stripes arranged ala Colts style. White pants with brown-orange-brown stripes. Solid brown socks.

White jerseys on the road, brown block numbers, brown-orange-brown stripes arranged ala Colts style. White pants with brown-orange-brown stripes. Solid brown socks.

Brown pants with white-orange-white striping to be used SPARINGLY with the white jersey.

Orange helmet, white facemask, brown-white-brown stripes, =B= logo on each side.

Hardly a "me-too piped/side panelled NFL" look is it?

No thanks.

My ideal Browns unis;

Brown jerseys at home, white block numbers, white-orange-white stripes arranged ala Colts style. White pants with brown-orange-brown stripes. Solid brown socks.

White jerseys on the road, brown block numbers, brown-orange-brown stripes arranged ala Colts style. White pants with brown-orange-brown stripes. Solid brown socks.

Brown pants with white-orange-white striping to be used SPARINGLY with the white jersey.

Orange helmet, white facemask, brown-white-brown stripes, =B= logo on each side.

When it comes to the Browns, nobody actually reads anything past the word "change". They just go into the tired old "things shouldn't ever change" rant.

It's a shame, really.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No thanks.

My ideal Browns unis;

How are Colts style stripes (that don't go all the way around) any better than the stripes they have now (that don't go all the way around)? These days the jersey cuts don't allow for the Colts' stripes any better than the Browns' stripes.

The real answer is the end-of-the-sleeve band stripes ala the Chiefs, Redskins, and Dolphins (dark jersey).

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Carolina Panthers consider the name Jaguars, and the Jaguars the name Panthers?

Not sure about that, but the Panthers did consider "Cougars".

As for the Houston Texans, I think the final list was:

- Wildcatters

- Bobcats

- Apollos

- Texans

- Some name I forgot.

If memory serves, I believe "Stallions" was the other possibility. I am glad Stallions was not chosen, since the AFC already has the Colts & Broncos.

I had hoped for Apollos to be the choice, as it has a futuristic 21st century sound to it, and the Houston team is the 1st (and hopefully only) new team of the 21st century. It would have tied in with the NASA & Astros theme, as well as the Rockets NBA theme, regarding the Apollo missions. Unfortunately, the very vanilla "Texans" name was chosen, and in their 7 year existance, they too have been at best, vanilla.

Sounds likely considering the Texas Rangers (as in the law enforcement people) badge has a big star in the middle of it...

Yep. Just ask Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris doesn't wear a badge; he just allows it to be displayed on his person.

How are Colts style stripes (that don't go all the way around) any better than the stripes they have now (that don't go all the way around)? These days the jersey cuts don't allow for the Colts' stripes any better than the Browns' stripes.

The real answer is the end-of-the-sleeve band stripes ala the Chiefs, Redskins, and Dolphins (dark jersey).

Colts-styled stripes may not go all the way around, but at least they'll survive the shortening (and elimination of in some cases) NFL sleeves. They'll remain visible, even if they don't go all the way around.

When it comes to the Browns, nobody actually reads anything past the word "change". They just go into the tired old "things shouldn't ever change" rant.

It's a shame, really.

Yes it is. It really is.

If the Browns had posted a few decent seasons in recent years, sure, keep the classic (if boring) look. But it's becoming more and more clear that the Cleveland Browns of today are not the same team that won all those championships in these same uniforms (down with Cleveland deals!).

As a native Miamian, I'll chip in the following tidbits about my local teams:

MARLINS: First of all, I don't recall Wayne Huizenga ever mentioning the name "Flamingos" for the team now known as the Marlins. I know that his first choice for the Marlins was "Panthers" and that was because he is a graduate and benefactor of Pine Crest School in Ft. Lauderdale and their nickname are the Panthers. However, it was decided that Panthers did not match a baseball team and the Marlins were chosen as an homage to the long standing nickname of the Minor League teams in South Florida.

PANTHERS: As for the hockey team which was awarded shortly after the baseball team, Huizenga did not hesitate to finally use his favorite nickname on them. However, the team was NEVER going to be called "Miami." Huizenga is from Ft. Lauderdale and cannot stand anything related to "Miami" (hence why the baseball team wasn't even considered to be the historically accurate "Miami Marlins"). I'm convinced that if Huizenga had his way and the NFL would have allowed it, he would've changed the name of the Dolphins to the Florida Dolphins or South Florida Dolphins just so that he didn't have to be associated with Miami.

DOLPHINS: From the Miami Dolphins website, "Mariners, Marauders, Mustangs, Missiles, Moons, Sharks, Suns none of those other names suggested to the American Football League expansion franchise in 1965 could raise a fin to the runaway winner. Dolphins was submitted by 622 entrants in a contest which attracted 19,843 entries and more than a thousand different names. The dozen finalists were delivered to a seven-member screening committee of local media."

HEAT: A "Name the Team" contest was held, and more than 5,000 entries were received. Among the names submitted were Sharks, Barracudas, Flamingos, Palm Trees, Beaches, Heat, Suntan, Shade, Tornadoes, and Floridians. After looking over all the entries, the owners decided on the Miami Heat for the simple reason that they liked it the best. "The Heat was it," said then general partner Zev Bufman. "The owners just felt it represented the area. I like it. We're Miami. When you think of Miami, that's what you think of."

However, the team was NEVER going to be called "Miami." Huizenga is from Ft. Lauderdale and cannot stand anything related to "Miami" (hence why the baseball team wasn't even considered to be the historically accurate "Miami Marlins"). I'm convinced that if Huizenga had his way and the NFL would have allowed it, he would've changed the name of the Dolphins to the Florida Dolphins or South Florida Dolphins just so that he didn't have to be associated with Miami.

Well, Huizenga is an idiot, then. Miami is the anchor city of the metropolitan area. That'd be like saying "I love Overland Park, but I hate Kansas City, so Great Plains Chiefs it is!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As a native Miamian, I'll chip in the following tidbits about my local teams:

MARLINS: First of all, I don't recall Wayne Huizenga ever mentioning the name "Flamingos" for the team now known as the Marlins. I know that his first choice for the Marlins was "Panthers" and that was because he is a graduate and benefactor of Pine Crest School in Ft. Lauderdale and their nickname are the Panthers. However, it was decided that Panthers did not match a baseball team and the Marlins were chosen as an homage to the long standing nickname of the Minor League teams in South Florida.

PANTHERS: As for the hockey team which was awarded shortly after the baseball team, Huizenga did not hesitate to finally use his favorite nickname on them. However, the team was NEVER going to be called "Miami." Huizenga is from Ft. Lauderdale and cannot stand anything related to "Miami" (hence why the baseball team wasn't even considered to be the historically accurate "Miami Marlins"). I'm convinced that if Huizenga had his way and the NFL would have allowed it, he would've changed the name of the Dolphins to the Florida Dolphins or South Florida Dolphins just so that he didn't have to be associated with Miami.

DOLPHINS: From the Miami Dolphins website, "Mariners, Marauders, Mustangs, Missiles, Moons, Sharks, Suns none of those other names suggested to the American Football League expansion franchise in 1965 could raise a fin to the runaway winner. Dolphins was submitted by 622 entrants in a contest which attracted 19,843 entries and more than a thousand different names. The dozen finalists were delivered to a seven-member screening committee of local media."

HEAT: A "Name the Team" contest was held, and more than 5,000 entries were received. Among the names submitted were Sharks, Barracudas, Flamingos, Palm Trees, Beaches, Heat, Suntan, Shade, Tornadoes, and Floridians. After looking over all the entries, the owners decided on the Miami Heat for the simple reason that they liked it the best. "The Heat was it," said then general partner Zev Bufman. "The owners just felt it represented the area. I like it. We're Miami. When you think of Miami, that's what you think of."

If I remember correctly, wasn't the Florida Panthers suppose to be called the South Florida Panthers?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

A few great names left on the table:

Phoenix Tomahawks

Marauders

Houston Apollos

Marauders is just simply a great name, and no matter what city is the first to use it, I'll love it, as long as the logo lives up to the name. Baltimore must have had some great people on the job to think up both Ravens and Marauders. Personally, Hunters seems like a good name yet I've never once heard it related to sports.

3148831073_34dc0f72c6_o.png

I remember Apollos being pushed for our MLS team as well (along with Lone Stars, ugh).

It's as if there is one guy that keeps popping up and saying, "How about Apollos?" everytime we get a new team. A quick check shows that there was a minor league hockey team named that and there is a amatuer baseball team rolling around with the nickname.

I don't get the appeal of the name. Apollos plural doesn't even make sense.

Archived