NFL Prototype Helmets

Bmac

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in the Bay Area when they trotted out that new Niners helmet. They managed to yank it back before the mob could round up pitchforks and get their torches lit. I'm serious, that may be the worst-received proposed change in the history of the NFL.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That Niners prototype is horrible! I?d possibly consider switching teams if they ever wore those suckers!

"This helmet was introduced in 1991 when Carmen Policy became team president. It was so thoroughly rejected by the public that the team abandoned the change 24 hours later."

That quote...and a bunch of prototypes can be found @ http://www.misterhabs.com/helmets.htm

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ah, the Seahawks.

Great uniform set ruined by a bad case of mono.

I'll argue that the mono has totally become their identity, and has been the best thing that they ever did. Other teams seem to be going mono a little less now, but when you see all blue, you know it's the Seahawks. I think every single piece of their uniform ties into every other piece seamlessly, and it's one of the best uniforms in the entire league. They just need to wear the blue pants on the road.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

texansprototype.jpg

I think this white helmet actually made it into Madden 2002...it showed up in the second year of your franchise, when the "league expanded" to include the Texans.

It was a white helmet, but the facemask was also white, IIRC. The jerseys Madden had for the Texans in Madden 2002 were just a regular blue jersey with white numbers and white jersey with blue numbers. The pants were solid white. I wish they would've let you edit them in the game.

EDIT- The facemasks are actually blue. But the jerseys are the same, so I doubt it was anything nothing more than a placeholder.

Ah, the Seahawks.

I'll argue that the mono has totally become their identity, and has been the best thing that they ever did. Other teams seem to be going mono a little less now, but when you see all blue, you know it's the Seahawks. I think every single piece of their uniform ties into every other piece seamlessly, and it's one of the best uniforms in the entire league. They just need to wear the blue pants on the road.

I don't think you can say that.

If I'm watching a few games in a bar, and I see a team in all navy on the set in the corner, I'm as likely to wonder if it's the Texans or even Falcons or Saints. Mono might have been a distinct identity at one time, but it was too easily appropriated by other teams. A better distinctive look would have been theirs alone, if that was really the most important element.

Besides, if "distinctive" requires "ugly," perhaps distinctive isn't the best goal to chase.

That Niners prototype is horrible! I?d possibly consider switching teams if they ever wore those suckers!

"This helmet was introduced in 1991 when Carmen Policy became team president. It was so thoroughly rejected by the public that the team abandoned the change 24 hours later."

That quote...and a bunch of prototypes can be found @ http://www.misterhabs.com/helmets.htm

Cool, thanks for the link!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Ah, the Seahawks.

If I'm watching a few games in a bar, and I see a team in all navy on the set in the corner, I'm as likely to wonder if it's the Texans or even Falcons or Saints. Mono might have been a distinct identity at one time, but it was too easily appropriated by other teams. A better distinctive look would have been theirs alone, if that was really the most important element.

Besides, if "distinctive" requires "ugly," perhaps distinctive isn't the best goal to chase.

I actually prefer the Seahawks white on white. Thats one of the better ones along with the Panthers and the Browns.

iq5b7nF.png

Ah, the Seahawks.

Seconded

I like the colors and logo of the white/red/orange Bucs flag, but I'm no fan of tapering stripes. I don't mind that red is their main color; but they need to embrace the identity as more of a red/orange team.

The Seahawks would've looked good with the silver pants and helmet; the leatards (sp?) look doesn't cut it for me (except all-white).

Saints black helmet is good; just don't give them that idea until they burn their black pants. If there was an alt.-color option for road teams, then maybe use the gold for road with black/black/gold at home and gold/white/gold for the road.

Texans white helmet is superior to their blue helmet.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Ah, the Seahawks.

The Seahawks colors are unique enough so as not to be confused with the Bears, Texans, Falcons, Saints.

I don't think it's ugly at all, but I'm not going to waste time arguing a subjective opinion.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Seahawks mono unis much more tolerable because of the very reason Vet just gave and the fact that the socks are a different color from the rest of the uni. The Bills also get this right in that reguard going with the red socks. How come the Bengals,Ravens,Titans,Saints,Falcons,Cards,Broncos,Rams and Texans don't get this. Even the Jets wear white socks with their pickle suits.

And it's just not the mono thing either the Ravens,Saints,Texans,Jags,Chargers,Titans,Vikings,Cardinals,Rams and Falcons all wear same color socks as pants with their white jerseys as well and it just ruins all of their looks. Thank God the Redskins came to their senses last week and wore the white striped socks. Teams like the Chargers,Ravens and Texans have no excuse either because those teams all hade other options as far as another color sock. The Ravens have a white striped sock worn during their Superbowl year and actually since they moved to Baltimore. The Chargers for years had a white striped sock similar to what the Pats have when wearing the Navy Blue pants and the Texans have a beautiful pair of Red socks. Sorry about the rant but it just boggles my mind how ugly this trend is.

OK, I understand that the NFL nixed the idea of allowing teams to have a different road and home helmet. I also remember hearing that one of the key reasons why was the expense and time involved in fitting two different helmets for each player on the roster (since almost every player's helmet is a custom job of some sort).

Why is this not an issue when it comes to throwback uniforms? Particularly this season, with the AFL 50th anniversary, at least half the teams seem to be wearing some sort of alternate helmet.

So I ask again, why couldn't the NFL allow different road and home helmets? After all I'd like to see the Saints with black and gold Helmets, the Eagles with green and white wings on their helmets, the Seahawks with both silver and pacific blue, or (dare I suggest it) the Cardinals with a white and a red helmet.

Granted, I might never buy a replica or alternate helmet, but I would sure buy a shirt with a black Saints helmet on it.

Archived