NFL Prototype Helmets

Bmac

OK, I understand that the NFL nixed the idea of allowing teams to have a different road and home helmet. I also remember hearing that one of the key reasons why was the expense and time involved in fitting two different helmets for each player on the roster (since almost every player's helmet is a custom job of some sort).

Why is this not an issue when it comes to throwback uniforms? Particularly this season, with the AFL 50th anniversary, at least half the teams seem to be wearing some sort of alternate helmet.

So I ask again, why couldn't the NFL allow different road and home helmets? After all I'd like to see the Saints with black and gold Helmets, the Eagles with green and white wings on their helmets, the Seahawks with both silver and pacific blue, or (dare I suggest it) the Cardinals with a white and a red helmet.

Granted, I might never buy a replica or alternate helmet, but I would sure buy a shirt with a black Saints helmet on it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the expense of fitting players with multiple helmets.

The helmet is probably the number one part of the visual identity for most teams, and acts as a de facto primary logo in most cases. In a lot of promotional materials, the teams are represented only by their helmets. It'd create chaos and water down the identity of the teams if they had multiple helmets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I understand that the NFL nixed the idea of allowing teams to have a different road and home helmet. I also remember hearing that one of the key reasons why was the expense and time involved in fitting two different helmets for each player on the roster (since almost every player's helmet is a custom job of some sort).

Why is this not an issue when it comes to throwback uniforms? Particularly this season, with the AFL 50th anniversary, at least half the teams seem to be wearing some sort of alternate helmet.

So I ask again, why couldn't the NFL allow different road and home helmets? After all I'd like to see the Saints with black and gold Helmets, the Eagles with green and white wings on their helmets, the Seahawks with both silver and pacific blue, or (dare I suggest it) the Cardinals with a white and a red helmet.

Granted, I might never buy a replica or alternate helmet, but I would sure buy a shirt with a black Saints helmet on it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the expense of fitting players with multiple helmets.

The helmet is probably the number one part of the visual identity for most teams, and acts as a de facto primary logo in most cases. In a lot of promotional materials, the teams are represented only by their helmets. It'd create chaos and water down the identity of the teams if they had multiple helmets.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you need proof in how multiple/alternate lids doesn't work, look no further than Major League Baseball. Anyone wanna show me which one of the Astros' hats they actually designate as their primary? Or for that matter, the Mets, Twins or Nationals?

6uXNWAo.png

I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you need proof in how multiple/alternate lids doesn't work, look no further than Major League Baseball. Anyone wanna show me which one of the Astros' hats they actually designate as their primary? Or for that matter, the Mets, Twins or Nationals?

Seriously, have you really watched a baseball game and had the caps' color be the determining factor in identifying which teams are playing? To use an example from your post, if I see the Mets' NY insignia; does it really matter whether its the all black, black and blue, or blue and orange cap? I would think it's the logo and the overall uniform that identifies the team more than the color of the headgear they are wearing.

Having written that note, I do think that the helmet is a bigger identifier in football than the cap is in baseball. But I defy you to look at a silver Seahawks helmet and a blue Seahawks helmet (with the same logo) and legitimately be confused that some how it's some other team besides Seattle that donning that headgear.

And personally, I do think that the frequent use of alternate uniforms has gotten out of hand. Take the Mets are example A of this: the pinstripe whites are supposedly their primary home uniforms, yet they've probably been worn the fewest times among their home sets this year (or any season since black "invaded" their colorset). That's THE problem in MLB with alternates -- they're not really used as an alternate to the norm. I would love for Bud Selig, when he's done ignoring the performance-enhancing issue, to pass a uniform rule that would limit all MLB teams to wearing their alternates no more than once per week. I actually think if a team like the Mets were forced to do this that more people might like the black uniforms as alternates.

I think the NFL has done a good job by limiting teams to wearing alternates twice a season (as well as limiting how many alternate uniforms a team has). Because of this, I could see the NFL maintaining some sort of uniform standard, but still allowing a team like Seattle to designate a road and home helmet (with different colors) as a simple part of their regular road and home uniform sets (and no, I do not think every team would do so).

Getting back to my original point, I don't think the color of a helmet would somehow cause a team to be misidentified , especially if the logo is still the same (and I would insist on that remaining the same). I guess I can buy the argument that this wouldn't work for all teams (Cleveland, for one), but I still think the NFL could allow some teams to do so (such as Seattle or New Orleans).

I hadn't heard the excuse that it was hard to fit the players for more than one helmet. The real reason they only allow one is because helmets serve as official team logos (unlike baseball hats). With helmets being used on countless merchandise as well as graphics on tv, they want all teams to have one strong helmet identity.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

Helmets are used as secondary logos; to have two would dilute that.

EDIT: Okay, everyone said that already.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the NFL has done a good job by limiting teams to wearing alternates twice a season (as well as limiting how many alternate uniforms a team has). Because of this, I could see the NFL maintaining some sort of uniform standard, but still allowing a team like Seattle to designate a road and home helmet (with different colors) as a simple part of their regular road and home uniform sets (and no, I do not think every team would do so).

I disagree that the NFL does a good job...maybe teams only wear alternate JERSEYS once or twice a year, but they start mixing-and-matching with 2-3 sets of pants, and suddenly you get a team like the Titans wearing 7-9 uniform combinations in a 16-game season, which is simply ridiculous! I have no problems with the alts, but the NFL needs to limit how they are worn with pants. I'm getting tired of tracking every NFL teams' uniform combos!

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I agree with BlueFalcon a team should have to wear 2 uni combos 1 home and 1 away with the exception of special anniversary seasons like this year, otherwise no alternates. However I know that will never happen. ME HATE ALTERNATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!BTW Broncos please change your primary jersey to Orange and burn the Blue jersey. As far as the Titans go does anyone else think they made a huge mistake by changing their primary to Light Blue. I love the Light Blue pants with the white jersey and also thought the Light Blue pants with the Navy jersey looked better for the home uniform I think they wore that combo once and it looked Marvelous!

The blue jersey is just too... blue to be worn with silver or white pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The blue jersey is just too... blue to be worn with silver or white pants.

I'm so glad we're back to disagreeing. I was really getting worried there.

Quick mock-up of the Seahawks and what coulda', shoulda' have been!

SeattleSeahawks-CBHome.png

SeattleSeahawks-CBAway.png

SeattleSeahawks-CBAway2.png

Sheer beauty. What a wasted opportunity. The only thing I'd do differently is dark socks with the slate blue pants, to remove even a trace of leotard from the uniform.

Silver (or even white) pants with the blue jersey might work if the sleeves weren't navy. The navy sleeves just make the jersey so dark IMO that any light color major pieces look bad with it.

Must agree with everyone else about the need for the navy sock with the slate pants, but otherwise...

I know that "everyone is intitled to their opinion, we all have different taste, yadda yadda yadda", but seriouly! How can ANYONE look at this next to that dreary mono-mess, and not say this is better? It's dumbfounding to me!

I've already stated my reasons for feeling that the "mono mess" is their best look, and it's not an opinion born simply out of a desire to go against the norm - I really feel that way.

I've already stated my reasons for feeling that the "mono mess" is their best look, and it's not an opinion born simply out of a desire to go against the norm - I really feel that way.

Oh, believe me, I know you honestly hold that opinion... it just confuses me. :D But then, maybe I'm just easily confused.

Actually this would have not been on the field even if they had voted for silver helmets. Silver pants were never in the concept. The orignial uniform concept back in 2002 was for (if they were allowed two different color helmets) home games- Silver helmets, blue jerseys, white pants. Road games were to be the blue helmets, white jerseys, and blue pants. What they have been wearing on the field since 2002 was never in the design. I actually like the above concept with silver pants and silver helmet. The helmet logo pops out better in the silver background. Anyone else tired of seeing the all blue all the time at home ? Wish they would just get rid of the blue pants. Can you do a mock up of the proposed uniform with blue helmets, lime green jerseys with white numbers with white pants ? Would like to see what that would look like.

Actually this would have not been on the field even if they had voted for silver helmets. Silver pants were never in the concept. The orignial uniform concept back in 2002 was for (if they were allowed two different color helmets) home games- Silver helmets, blue jerseys, white pants. Road games were to be the blue helmets, white jerseys, and blue pants. What they have been wearing on the field since 2002 was never in the design. I actually like the above concept with silver pants and silver helmet. The helmet logo pops out better in the silver background. Anyone else tired of seeing the all blue all the time at home ? Wish they would just get rid of the blue pants. Can you do a mock up of the proposed uniform with blue helmets, lime green jerseys with white numbers with white pants ? Would like to see what that would look like.

I don't think anyone was saying this WOULD'VE been on the field... just SHOULD'VE.

And IMO that fan "vote" was a bit of a set up. I don't think for one minute the Seahawks expected the fans to re-up with silver. That's why there were no silver pants.

Archived