Farewell To Texas Stadium

rainmaker17

As most of you know the Cowboys will in all likelihood play their final home game at Texas Stadium tomorrow. I'll be there with mixed emotions. The building itself aged poorly but so many memories were created there (for me, on and off the field) it will be sad to see it go

From what I've read there will be many tributes throughout the game not to mention a post-game ceremony involving current and former players. It should be a sight to see. I plan to soak it all in and take a ton of pictures which I will post in this thread later.

Oh yeah there's a game too :P . A damn important game for both teams involved. I hope the "Farewell" ceremony works to the Cowboys favor and motivates them, rather than provide a distraction. We shall see.

Though it doesn't affect me personally I think it's a shame that the NFL and/or Jerry allowed this game to air on the uber-exclusive NFL Network. I would like to believe even Cowboy-haters would take some interest in this event. Bars may be happy about it, but the whole thing just smacks of greed.

I leave tomorrow at noon....Go Cowboys!

farewell.jpg

newsig.jpg

Well, if Dallas gets lucky enough to reach the NFC Championship Game as the 5 seed and whoever is the 6 seed plays them, the Cowboys would have one final game at Texas Stadium.

But, since the odds of that aren't too high, this is the final game and I guess it'll be imploded down the road.

If you ask me, it's sad to see it go. That's the only place the Cowboys have played in in my lifetime and there have been many great (and not so great) moments in Texas Stadium history. It'll be different when they open that new stadium in Arlington next season.

Farewell Texas Stadium... but why couldn't the final game be against a division rival like the Redskins? That would have been more appropriate. So, what happens to the stadium after the last game?

Wrecking ball.

They held an auction a few weeks ago and literally sold everything you can think of. I'm talking signage, lockers, turnstiles, section cubes, benches, lockers, URINALS (I wish I was kidding)....you name it.

Season ticket holders were offered their actual seats for purchase. I bought mine.

From what I've heard the site will become another trendy mixed development project with retail and residential phases.

I agree with the opponent point. At least make it the Eagles, Skins or Giants, and if that can't happen the Niners or Packers....someone Dallas has a past with. Nothing against Baltimore, but there is no history there. One email I read tried to explain it by stating the Ravens are the only NFL team to never play in Texas Stadium. If this is true, that is the weakest justification I ever heard in my life, and I'm 41.

newsig.jpg

But I will coming later tonight I will do a special edition Texas Stadium Trivia

P.S. I hate the Cowboys, so I will need to do some research for a good question or double question.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Farewell Texas Stadium... but why couldn't the final game be against a division rival like the Redskins? That would have been more appropriate. So, what happens to the stadium after the last game?

Wrecking ball.

They held an auction a few weeks ago and literally sold everything you can think of. I'm talking signage, lockers, turnstiles, section cubes, benches, lockers, URINALS (I wish I was kidding)....you name it.

Season ticket holders were offered their actual seats for purchase. I bought mine.

From what I've heard the site will become another trendy mixed development project with retail and residential phases.

I agree with the opponent point. At least make it the Eagles, Skins or Giants, and if that can't happen the Niners or Packers....someone Dallas has a past with. Nothing against Baltimore, but there is no history there. One email I read tried to explain it by stating the Ravens are the only NFL team to never play in Texas Stadium. If this is true, that is the weakest justification I ever heard in my life, and I'm 41.

It is correct. The Ravens have never played there. As for teh idea of what may go there, the Dallas Morning News ran a story today on what is next.

FRom teh story: " A bevy of construction projects and transportation upgrades are on the horizon ? including what?s thought to be the largest collection of transit-oriented developments in the nation.

Many of those projects are the result of a 1996 election. Irving residents chose to continue putting tax dollars into Dallas Area Rapid Transit rather than toward Texas Stadium renovations that arguably could have kept the team in Irving.

DART plans to bring a light-rail line through Irving that will connect Dallas to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The Orange Line will have several stops along the way. Among them are planned stations at the stadium site, the University of Dallas, North Lake College and three spots in Las Colinas?s urban center.

An outlet mall is planned for land just north of where the stadium now sits."

My most memorable moment is honestly the Leon Lett Snow Game, because it was just too weird to see TEXAS Stadium covered in snow. What are the odds that not only would it snow in Dallas like it did, but that there would also be a Cowboys game going on on the same day? That was crazy.

My most memorable moment is honestly the Leon Lett Snow Game, because it was just too weird to see TEXAS Stadium covered in snow. What are the odds that not only would it snow in Dallas like it did, but that there would also be a Cowboys game going on on the same day? That was crazy.

On top of it all, It was on Thanksgiving

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah...at least the Skins closed out RFK Stadium against the Cowboys (national late game on Fox), and in style. A 37-10 beatdown by Washington, as the Cowboys were basically playing for nothing at that particular point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IngCtRtng

Archived