Another ECHL Team Folds...

pheer

Since the Augusta Lynx folded earlier this month, did the Tampa Bay Lightning find a new ECHL affiliate yet?

Just wondering.

Did some checking around and didn't see anything official. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

They are assigning their guys to Mississippi, like last season.

Since the Augusta Lynx folded earlier this month, did the Tampa Bay Lightning find a new ECHL affiliate yet?

Just wondering.

Did some checking around and didn't see anything official. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Mississippi is a Flyers/Phantoms affiliate. The Lynx were the Lightning affiliate, but nothing definite right now.

I know they call themselves the ECHL, but let's get realistic here, when someone asks you what does ECHL stand for what do you say? Extremely Confused Hockey League. This is a league run by morons! Why would you expand to the west coast when you honestly have teams that are barely surviving? Hockey in the United States is and always will be a niche following, so why are you increasing expenses by expanding and running teams on the west coast when you are an east coast based league, is the dumbest things I have ever heard of. I thought it was stupid when the first announced it and it is stupid today. These are not the most intelligent people in the world we're dealing with here. Any smart businessman would say cut your losses (aka the west coast teams) and focus on what and who your truly are a east coast based league where your expenses would be lessened. Even if they went that direction there's no saying that would save some of these poorly run franchises, but if they keep at the rate they're going (staying with west coast teams), this league will fold. How many of these franchises actually have money? How many of them are being kept alive by other franchises and the league. I suspect not one of them is making money and they all are in big trouble. Cut the fat (west coast teams) and give the league a chance.

The west coast teams aren't the only problem. As I posted earlier, the ECHL of today should be three separate, regional leagues if it wants to survive tomorrow. If you want to have an interleague playoff system of some sort that's fine (though honestly I don't know how you'd pull it off with 3 leagues), but split it up. BREAK UP THE ECHL!

nav-logo.png

Yeah, AA hockey should be split into three leagues, like Canadian junior hockey. Even two would be fine. We wouldn't have 60 teams, of course, but it would make so much sense to lessen the travel expenses.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's more like when Roller Hockey International double membership and eventually paid the price long term. It's NOT a West Coast issue (as seen by Augusta's departure) but a national (and perhaps, international) issue with the economy. Hockey is fine in West Coast and if this is to become West Coast (or in particular, California) teams don't deserve hockey team conversation, the game is alive and doing well. In fact Stockton has always been near the top or at the top of attendance in the ECHL.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Yeah, AA hockey should be split into three leagues, like Canadian junior hockey. Even two would be fine. We wouldn't have 60 teams, of course, but it would make so much sense to lessen the travel expenses.

And like juniors if all the leagues agree to it, have a Memorial Cup like tournament to have a grand champion? Works for me, that way you're only going the long trip to the championship site.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Each of these would have a nice, 8-team circuit with operating and travel expenses that are probably far less than what they have now.

If I remember right....when Gwinnett played Alaska for whatever Cup a few years ago, the team didn't have a team-chartered flight from Atlanta to Anchorage. The individual players had to arrange their own flights (dunno if the team paid for the flights or not) to get there and back.

Each of these would have a nice, 8-team circuit with operating and travel expenses that are probably far less than what they have now.

If I remember right....when Gwinnett played Alaska for whatever Cup a few years ago, the team didn't have a team-chartered flight from Atlanta to Anchorage. The individual players had to arrange their own flights (dunno if the team paid for the flights or not) to get there and back.

Along with the Kelly Cup finals the only other time an east coast team meets the west coast team is maybe 2-4 games all played on one road trip

Signature intentionally left blank

Just wondering.

Mississippi is a Flyers/Phantoms affiliate. The Lynx were the Lightning affiliate, but nothing definite right now.

I know. For the remainder of the season they are using Mississippi.

www.boltprospects.com is a good website to keep up with Lightning prospects.

Along with the Kelly Cup finals the only other time an east coast team meets the west coast team is maybe 2-4 games all played on one road trip

Yep. Last season Alaska played a set at the Florida (Ft. Myers area) Everblades. Longest trip in North American sports.

Archived