2009 NBA All-Star Jerseys

Jumpman085

Gradient, funky wordmark, numbers that don't exactly match the wordmark, and several logo creeps... and the general consensus is a thumbs up?

Anyway, here is the definitive example of why arched names above numbers don't always work:

RichardsonNameplate.jpg

They even needed to lower his number his nameplate is so huge! Of course, one could reason that the names are way too big to begin. Who cares if it's small and flat like the Pistons? It doesn't need to be read from space.

OK, as you were. The All-Star Game uniforms are not very good in my book. They're leaps and bounds better than last year's wrecks, but they aren't spectacular. Everything looks cheesy except the phoenix graphic, which was an incredibly cool addition.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trim on those jerseys does not match the St. Patty's Day or Opening Night sets. Thought it would be fun to figure out what the scoop is!

Look at the other jerseys hanging back there. What is that green jersey with gold trim, and white jersey with green trim? It's not traditional Celtics trim. Hmmm...

Perhaps an old Sonics jersey?

Nope. I think those green w/ gold trim are the St. Pat's Day unis and those white w/ green trim I think was the one worn opening night vs. Cleveland to celebrate the Championship.

sry for the dbl...

updates to the fictionals (reversed the gradients):

asw_away2.png

ase_home2.png

that if the games would be held in the East. It looks better IMO.

Well lets hope an East team gets the game in 2011. Im thinking Toronto or maybe even Boston. Actually, I think Toronto would be great.

Lets look at the past All-Star Games since 2000:

2000- Golden State

2001- Washington

2002- Philadelphia

2003- Atlanta

2004- Los Angeles

2005- Denver

2006- Houston

2007- Las Vegas

2008- New Orleans

2009- Phoenix

2010- Dallas

If this is correct, then 8 of the 11 all star games past, present and future have all been hosted by the Western Conference. Lets let the East have 6 in a row.....

Well lets hope an East team gets the game in 2011. Im thinking Toronto or maybe even Boston. Actually, I think Toronto would be great.

Lets look at the past All-Star Games since 2000:

2000- Golden State

2001- Washington

2002- Philadelphia

2003- Atlanta

2004- Los Angeles

2005- Denver

2006- Houston

2007- Las Vegas

2008- New Orleans

2009- Phoenix

2010- Dallas

If this is correct, then 8 of the 11 all star games past, present and future have all been hosted by the Western Conference. Lets let the East have 6 in a row.....

If it was that easy to just name a site than I would suggest having conferences alternate each year, kinda like what MLB has done (for the most part). But, like the Super Bowl, the NBA ASG is bid upon by teams. From what I understand the ASG isn't very profitable to teams, the NBA comes in and takes over the arena and ticketing with sponsors, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more cities with domes bidding on the ASG game. (ie-Reliant (Houston), Ford Field (Detroit), Lucas Oil (Indiana), etc.).

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

If it was that easy to just name a site than I would suggest having conferences alternate each year, kinda like what MLB has done (for the most part). But, like the Super Bowl, the NBA ASG is bid upon by teams. From what I understand the ASG isn't very profitable to teams, the NBA comes in and takes over the arena and ticketing with sponsors, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more cities with domes bidding on the ASG game. (ie-Reliant (Houston), Ford Field (Detroit), Lucas Oil (Indiana), etc.).

we'll see how it works out next year in dallas. personally, i dont see how you convince 65k+ to come and watch the nba all star game.

They even needed to lower his number his nameplate is so huge! Of course, one could reason that the names are way too big to begin. Who cares if it's small and flat like the Pistons? It doesn't need to be read from space.

It's wasted potential that a lot of teams all use single-level radial-arched varsity serif for their nameplates. Can't more teams use straight or vertical-arched names in typefaces that are more in line with the rest of the uniform? The worst offenders are the Bobcats, with their big heavily sheared modern numbers, topped with standard-issue radial lettering. The Heat have the same problem. They should use italic block, for example. I suppose one obstacle to this is that there's simply not enough real estate for anything more than plain thin letters. Solution: make more real estate. Those Suns jerseys up there with the big grey side panels? They're awful! What's the point of big panels of grey? It's not even silver. Just dull grey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I believe Toronto will be running in 2011 or 2012. Whenever the "Maple Leaf Square" hotel/condos are completed.

Hopefully Bosh is not yet a Knick at that time.

If Toronto succeed, we should expect a maple leaf logo for 2011 ASG.

anim_10b653c9-6201-4c84-31ec-36c-1.gif

incrediballer.png

LakeshowFight On!Carpe DiemNo Fear

Gradient, funky wordmark, numbers that don't exactly match the wordmark, and several logo creeps... and the general consensus is a thumbs up?

Maybe I missed something, but its not really a gradient and its been called one more than once.

I think most everyone knows the inspiration being the traditional Native American fabrics of the west like this:

Minwax-Harvest.jpg

Using gradients is one thing, but the use of this "gradient" (There has to be a name for that technique) is warranted and successful IMO.

we'll see how it works out next year in dallas. personally, i dont see how you convince 65k+ to come and watch the nba all star game.

I believe fans will come, especially in cities that support their teams. I don't see the Atlanta and the Georgia Dome selling out, but in places where they support their team. Why not?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

It's wasted potential that a lot of teams all use single-level radial-arched varsity serif for their nameplates. Can't more teams use straight or vertical-arched names in typefaces that are more in line with the rest of the uniform? The worst offenders are the Bobcats, with their big heavily sheared modern numbers, topped with standard-issue radial lettering. The Heat have the same problem. They should use italic block, for example. I suppose one obstacle to this is that there's simply not enough real estate for anything more than plain thin letters. Solution: make more real estate. Those Suns jerseys up there with the big grey side panels? They're awful! What's the point of big panels of grey? It's not even silver. Just dull grey.

I believe NBA teams are only allowed to use four different standard fonts for last names. A sans serif similar to Compacta (Lakers, Pistons, Rockets), a sans serif similar to Helvetica Compressed (Cavs, Raptors, Pacers, Grizzlies, etc...), a block with serifs (Bulls, Knicks, Clippers, etc...) and a block sans serif (Heat, Celtics, Spurs, etc...). I don't necessarily like this system, but this is why NBA teams don't use more customized name lettering like the other leagues. I agree with you that it would be nice if some teams would use a font that better matched their wordmark and/or numbers, however, I think what the NBA was trying to do is establish readability as priority #1.

• 3 weeks later...

Press release from the NBA... not posting the photos because they're the same ones Paul Lukas had:

NBA UNVEILS 2009 NBA ALL-STAR UNIFORM FROM ADIDAS

? Most Innovative basketball uniform system introduced for the first time ?

? Design takes style cues from city of Phoenix ?

NEW YORK and PORTLAND, Ore., Jan. 22, 2009 ? The National Basketball Association and adidas today unveiled the most innovative basketball uniform ever, which will debut at the 2009 NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix.

The NBA All-Star uniform features a number of technological enhancements and was in development for over two years by adidas. The uniform is 30 percent lighter than a traditional basketball uniform and features adidas' Formotion technology which reduces seams, decreases friction and optimizes the player?s natural movement. The jersey has strategically placed ClimaCool zones which conduct heat away from the body through a combination of ventilation channels, three-dimensional fabrics, and materials that disperse heat and moisture.

The uniform was designed to work hand-in-hand with adidas TECHFIT PowerWeb and Padded compression for optimal performance on the court. TECHFIT PowerWeb combines compression fabrics and a web of strategically placed Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) powerbands to boost power to key muscle groups, generating up to a four percent increase in vertical leap. TECHFIT Padded protects athletes with flexibility and impact resistance.

The uniform design was inspired by the aesthetics and history of the city of Phoenix with colors representing the earth, desert, sun and sky. The design elements will be integrated throughout the entire adidas NBA All-Star on-court and fan apparel collections. The jerseys feature various shades of horizontal lines that resemble Arizona?s iconic rock formations. The flame design on the shorts represents the story of the mythical bird, the Phoenix, for which the city is named. Holding with recent tradition, the All-Stars from the host team?s conference will wear white uniforms. The West All-Star uniforms will be white, gold and desert red, a color scheme inspired by the colors of the 2009 NBA All-Star logo and the uniforms of the host team Phoenix Suns. The East All-Star uniforms will be navy, silver and sunset blue.

?The 2009 All-Star uniform embraces the tradition of NBA All-Star, captures the spirit of the city of Phoenix, and respects the honor bestowed upon the players who are selected to the All-Star team,? said Vice President of NBA Global Merchandising Group Christopher Arena. ?adidas understands our players and what it takes to be an All-Star, which is why they?ve put the best of their innovative performance technologies and their world-class design team into the development of this uniform.?

?The 2009 NBA All-Star uniform will be the first-ever fully integrated uniform system in the NBA, and represents adidas? dedication to innovation to help athletes improve their performance,? said adidas Vice President of Global Basketball Lawrence Norman. ?With the long list of featured technologies and subsequent benefits, athletes will have the opportunity to be quicker and jump higher.?

Here's a color-corrected view of some of the design elements, uniforms and logos being used for All-Star weekend:

NBAAll-StarWeekend_FriSatNightEvent.jpg

Note the "throwback" legends uniforms...in the style used back in the last Phoenix All-Star Game.

Is this the first year they have put patches on the jerseys for Saturday Night? And I like that they will be using the throwback jerseys for the celebrity game, not that I'll be watching it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

What the fuzz? Those Rookie/Sophomore jerseys are hideous IMO. Why do they feel the need to stray from players wearing their own uniforms? I think that looks great for that kind of game. The players are basically just getting their name out there to the public, why wear the same jersey as everyone else in the game? Lame.

Archived