Strong Possibility of New UW Husky Uniforms

bterreson

pieces from the Seattle Times:

But when he (Sarkisian) returns to Seattle for good the following day, he will continue to reshape the Huskies football program, a renovation that may also include the team's uniforms and future schedules.

Washington athletic director Scott Woodward said Tuesday that Sarkisian has already had some initial discussions with others in the athletic department about revamping the uniforms, possibly as early as next season.

And in what will likely be good news to a vocal section of UW fans who haven't liked some of the recent changes, Woodward said Sarkisian favors a return to some of the uniforms of more distant vintage.

"He has that feel that he likes the more classic lettering and the more classic looks, maybe with some streaks here and there," Woodward said.

Woodward said there is "nothing specific" yet, just that Sarkisian and some of the equipment personnel and designers "have been talking about the possibility of doing some changes to the uniforms. Whether we can get them done in time is going to be a big question."

The uniforms are usually ordered fairly early in the year, so decisions would have to be made quickly for a change to be made.

Many fans have yearned for a return to the look of UW's 1980s and '90s glory days, specifically brighter gold and deeper purple colorings. They were changed most notably in 2001 following UW's last Rose Bowl appearance when the department made wholesale changes to uniforms in all sports.

Whatever changes are made to uniforms, Woodward said UW's helmet is likely to stay the same.

Full Article Here: Link

I like the idea.

It is a rough time at my alma mater, so I guess some change wouldn't hurt. When they wore these throwbacks last year, I liked them and though they could maybe be tweaked for a modern look. With the current helmet, they would look a lot less like Notre Dame (always a good thing), but the jerseys would need to be more purple instead of navy.

450uwftbl30_lockerlooks.jpg2003997996.jpg

If they go the route of the 80s-90s look, hopefully they won't have the terrible color matching between the pants and helmets.

531861.jpeg

As long as they avoid the mid-90s disaster of purple helmets, I won't complain too much. As the article states, the helmets won't change, but it will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Current look for comparison:

JakeLocker_001.jpg

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I heard Hugh Millen on Seattle sports station KJR talking about this a couple of weeks ago. Mainly a change back to the block numbers of years past and possibly the stripes on the arm. I'm all for it as well as a more gold, gold for the pants if it matches the helmet.

A final change I'd like to see is make the stripe consistent. Either keep in on the helmet and add it to the jersey and pants or leave it off the helmet. Seems colleges are the worst at this design mistake but there are a ton of teams that have helmet stripes and then no jersey or pant stripes. Weird.

I'd like something toward this:

341655.jpg

Thank **** for that. They should have never left the Don James early-90s era togs. And whilst we're at it, dump the stupid swoosh wolf logo.

I disagree. I like the wolf logo. It's simple, not overdesigned; it's a nice one-color image of a wolf. It works for me.

It's Nike, it includes their swoosh. That's enough for me to despise the piece of affrontery.

Besides, the block W with husky-head is so much more classic, collegiate and representative of U-Dub anyway.

I dont think they will be changing the colors very much, since its supposed to be uniform throughout all sports.

I'd like to see them go with something like this

341655.jpg

Stripes on the sleeves, stripes on the pants. Updated with the colors they have now.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Thank **** for that. They should have never left the Don James early-90s era togs. And whilst we're at it, dump the stupid swoosh wolf logo.

I disagree. I like the wolf logo. It's simple, not overdesigned; it's a nice one-color image of a wolf. It works for me.

It's Nike, it includes their swoosh. That's enough for me to despise the piece of affrontery.

Besides, the block W with husky-head is so much more classic, collegiate and representative of U-Dub anyway.

Where does it include the nike swoosh, could you point it out to me?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Where does it include the nike swoosh, could you point it out to me?

The dog's neck. It's right there, subliminal stuff on the level of the FedEx arrow.

I think the swoosh is kind of a reach. There is no way anyone would automatically think of Nike if they saw that.

uw.gif

nike-swoosh.gif

That retro jersey looks 95% Notre Dame

The dog's neck. It's right there, subliminal stuff on the level of the FedEx arrow.

Except that the FedEx arrow looks exactly like an arrow. The Washington "neck swoosh" vaguely resembles something that would be found on third-rate bootleg merch coming out of Guangxou, China. The Broncos' "three-point stance swoosh" is less of a stretch than what you're going for here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the swoosh is kind of a reach. There is no way anyone would automatically think of Nike if they saw that.

uw.gif

nike-swoosh.gif

That retro jersey looks 95% Notre Dame

If the UW logo really had a nike swoosh in it, Nike would have had UW put it on the helmets. Or at least I think so.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived