Oregon State penalized for orange jerseys in Sun Bowl

nmsuaggie

One, visiting teams almost always pack both sets of uniforms.

Where are you getting this information? Tell your source they are wrong. No team wants to pack two sets of jerseys, especially an NCAA football team.

As long as you can tell the difference, does it really matter that one team isn't wearing white?

White is the best choice for making sure people (both players and fans) can tell the difference. Not all people have the same level of color recognition as others - some are totally colorblind but a surprising number of people can see color but have trouble distinguishing between certain colors. A white jersey works to solve this problem because it's not just the color but the contrast.

Think about a photo in black-and-white. A photo of a team in red vs. a team in blue would result in a bunch of guys wearing identical gray.

So basically, it's not broke so don't fix it. White vs. Dark is the best way and teams should not be allowed to show up wearing any jersey they want. I expect the NCAA to put an end to this in the next couple of years.

My scenario assumes that there's enough contrast between the dark jerseys for this to work. I wouldn't be in favor of UCLA showing up in Ann Arbor in their dark jerseys... even if the Bruins shade of blue is significantly lighter than the Wolverines. Besides, nowadays there enough crazy templates that black/white photos shouldn't be as much of an issue either.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking literally about b&w photos but rather illustrating how things might look to somebody with severe colorblindness.

So while we can debate the aesthetics of two teams wearing dark jerseys, I think the reason a team in game is generally required to wear white is for practical reasons.

Archived