Thrift Store Gems '09

Sc8b

Not really a thrift-store gem, but a bit of an eBay steal. I picked up an authentic 1994 Brewers home jersey that seems entirely kosher for about $50. Well, kosher except that it has clearly been customized after the fact, since the script and patch are authentic to 1994, but it's numbered on the back with "Viña 1" on the back, and Fernando Viña didn't join the Brew Crew until '95.

So I'm going to have to have it stripped and re-customized. My problem? I can't decide what name and number to put on. Wouldn't be an issue, except the NOB really looks like it's going to show stitch marks when removed if it's not covered with a new NOB. Otherwise, I'd just put a 4 on the back and be done with it. Also problematic: There's basically nobody on the 1994 Brewers whose name I really want to wear around on my back.

Right now, I'm leaning toward:

Fingers 34 (Brewers retired his number in '94)

Molitor 4 (my favorite Brewer)

Wurst 1 (from the sausage race; "Brett Wurst" wears #1)

Any votes, or other suggestions?

I dunno, seems to me like there's a lot of solid possibilities on this roster. Greg Vaughn, John Jaha, BJ Surhoff, Pat Listach, Cal Eldred... or you could always go with Phil Garner, too.

I recently picked up a '99 road Brewers jersey for a shade under $50 on eBay. I'm having EPS sew on the County Stadium patch and add Jim Abbott's number 25. When I went there last week, Terry (I think it was Terry, anyway) took one look at it and said, "Oh yeah, that one's no problem." Ah, what a magical place.

I don't even like the Brewers but if I saw someone walking around with a 1994 John Jaha jersey, I would probably love them forever. So you would have that going for you. :)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, seems to me like there's a lot of solid possibilities on this roster. Greg Vaughn, John Jaha, BJ Surhoff, Pat Listach, Cal Eldred... or you could always go with Phil Garner, too.

I recently picked up a '99 road Brewers jersey for a shade under $50 on eBay. I'm having EPS sew on the County Stadium patch and add Jim Abbott's number 25. When I went there last week, Terry (I think it was Terry, anyway) took one look at it and said, "Oh yeah, that one's no problem." Ah, what a magical place.

Listach is a great idea , rookie of the year and all. Though it would be a bummer if I got him on the jersey and he wasn't still with the Nats next year.

You lucky dog! A trip to EPS would be like a pilgrimage for me. I do all my business with them via mail. When I emailed my question about the '94 Brewers jersey, Joshua replied, "We've got the specs. No problem." When I send the Brewers jersey in, I'm also going to have them swap out a patch to turn a mid-1990s Rawlings Twins jersey into a 1991 replica. It's all about the early '90s this fall, apparently. Time to break out the Zubas, throw a Dada CD on the stereo, and debate whether the Yankees will ever win another World Series. Man, those were the days.

Driving up to EPS for me is a trip both of frivolity and utility. I've had quite a few jerseys I've wanted to get done recently, and it was cheaper to make the drive up to Rockford and back than it would be to ship them. And last time, since I was in the neighborhood, I went the extra 20 miles up I-90 to Beloit, and picked myself up some fine products from the New Glarus Brewing Company, and some delicious curds and spreads from Bucky Badger.

The strange thing about going there is, there's absolutely no retail presentation to it. It's just a building in an industrial park in Rockford, without a single identifying mark as to the company inside the facility. First time I went, it wasn't until I saw the woodcarving of the eagle in the foyer that I was even sure I was in the right place. It really is the sort of place that simply lets its work speak for itself.

And yes indeed, the '90s are back. This summer's acquisitions include a Hasek Sabres jersey from the blue-and-gold days, and a Flames Iginla jersey from before the short-lived reign of the flaming horsehead.

Oh, and on-topic: Picked up a good-as-new, pre-Edge, Wild Gaborik jersey in red, with non-screened customization (sewn layers glued on), for $14.50 on eBay.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hit up the local Value Village today to get some supplies for our daughter's hallowe'en costume, and found these two beauts:

Tacoma Sabercats Road Replica ($3.49)

Sabercats13FRASERroadfrontG.jpg

NHL Vintage LA Kings ($24.99)

kings_big.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have the $30 to get them. If anyone in the Vancouver/Burnaby area is interested, they're at the VV on Edmonds.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 2 weeks later...

Marshalls stores in the Boston area have been stocked with RBK Premier Bruins jerseys for $39.99. The home jersey had slight smudges on the shoulder patches and I couldn't find any flaws with the 3rd jersey even though there was a piece of yellow tape on the patch, which usually means there is a flaw in that area.

4053311146_2f29e4d676_o.jpg

If you look closely at the rear of the rack with the Bruins jerseys, you can see there were a few Packers jerseys. You can just make out the green sleves with the Reebok vector logo. They were all authentic jerseys with numeric sizes and the whole lot had Jenkins Jennings 85 on them. These were priced at $49.99.

4052568457_12d5b81c4f_o.jpg

The other great find was New Era 59Fifty Team USA World Baseball Classic caps for $7.99. They still have the original price tag of $35.99 on the underside of the visor.

4052568489_ea9e204bce_o.jpg

Hey, Wally. What store were these in?

Marshalls stores in the Boston area have been stocked with RBK Premier Bruins jerseys for $39.99. The home jersey had slight smudges on the shoulder patches and I couldn't find any flaws with the 3rd jersey even though there was a piece of yellow tape on the patch, which usually means there is a flaw in that area.

If you look closely at the rear of the rack with the Bruins jerseys, you can see there were a few Packers jerseys. You can just make out the green sleves with the Reebox vector logo. They were all authentic jerseys with numeric sizes and the whole lot had Jenkins 85 on them. These were priced at $49.99.

The other great find was New Era 59Fifty Team USA World Baseball Classic caps for $7.99. They still have the original price tag of $35.99 on the underside of the visor.

After reading this thread, I got curious and went to a local AJ Wright that my GPS found for me. Awesome part of the city, as it turns out. :rolleyes:

I was really dissapointed with the prices on jerseys. They got $10 to $15 more than comparable TJ Maxx of Marshals finds. Not worth the drive. Though, they did have an absolute ton of selection for the local team. (Bengals in this case)

Went to a Goodwill and picked up a 1998 US Soccer jersey in white dry-fit for $3. That was cool.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

anyone going to Cincinnati should check out Koch Sporting goods. They sell mostly new stuff, but they have a big selection of used jerseys from other teams from every sport. I found an Islanders fisherman jersey there. Bengals fans will enjoy their collection of game worn bengals jerseys and some pants for prices that aren't that bad. My dad bought a Turk Schonert jersey from the 80's for like $15.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not necessarily a steal or anything, but I picked up a white Islanders jersey (pre-edge CCM) today for $30. They also had the blue and orange Isles jerseys, the orange Flyers(the stupid "3D" logo one), black Kings and white Panthers jerseys.

Today at Ollies a mid-Atlantic buyout chain I saw 2 piles of Ebbet's Field Flannels football shirts. One pile was of the Seattle Bombers and the other was of the Edmonton Eskomos (I think it just had in igloo on the front).The website does not show this style any more, but I remember they had them a year or 2 ago. I didn't have my cell on me so no photos. Anyway they said they were $129 and Ollies had them for $59. I know how that place is and I will wait until they drop to the $25 range. To me $59 is not a steal yet...but just to see Ebbet's Field Flannels in an buyout store is still cool.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

If you look closely at the rear of the rack with the Bruins jerseys, you can see there were a few Packers jerseys. You can just make out the green sleves with the Reebok vector logo. They were all authentic jerseys with numeric sizes and the whole lot had Jenkins Jennings 85 on them. These were priced at $49.99.

I stopped at a TJ Maxx in Des Moines the other day and they had one US baseball hat left, and what do you know, it was my size. Not a bad pickup for $8...

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the mid week swap meet earlier tonight and found a vendor who was selling early/mid 90s New Era's and other caps for $4 bucks each and I picked up

DSC03496.jpg

DSC03495.jpg

I really wanted the pinwheel Expos, and Toronto Blue Jays caps but they were both too small. All the caps he sold were brand new, and still had the tags,and inner cardboard shells.

sig.jpg

Archived