Thrift Store Gems '09

Sc8b

I saw a Carolina Panthers hat just the other day and asked my buddy who was with me if he ever had one of those, gah, seems like everyone had thier team in that script... :lol:

That script was the big thing when I was in middle school. I think everyone (including myself) had the Los Angeles Raiders cap. I think New Era remade this style a year or so ago.

sig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the mother of all thrift store gems today and good news for all!

From time to time I stop in at AJ Wright. Occassionally I can buy a baseball jersey on the cheap. Actually today I stopped in to get a tie. I found a tie and as I was heading up to pay I passed a $9.99 discount rack. A piece of orange and blue material caught my eye. I did a double take and thought, "No, it can't be what I think it is" so I passed it and paid. As I was walking to my car in the parking lot I started thinking what if... So my jersey lust got the best of me and to my surprise there was a rack full of NHL jerseys. Granted there were only 3 teams represented on the rack but I walked away with one of each! Today I bought a Oilers 3rd, and Oilers road, a Devils road and a home Senators Alfredsson. $9.99 Each!!!!! Would have got a road Sens too but their largest was a small.

I needed answers so I was able to talk to the purchasing manager of the store. She told me that they will now sell NHL jerseys. They will be overstock jerseys, last years jerseys and Mitchell and something (Ness) jerseys. She said they would b e in the $9.99-$19.99 range. The manager didn't feel that they would sell though as most of thier clients if they do buy jerseys usually by basketball or football but hockey will be on the racks full time starting Friday. She showed me a catalog that they buy from and they will also have vintage apparal hats as well as t-shirts, hoodies, sweat shirts etc...

This is a great day for us bargin buying dorks.

www.aj-wright.com

Pics to follow once the gf gets home with the camera.

-Dan

EDIT:

The tags all showed $19.99 but had a slash and were for $9.99. Today I went for a black friday sale but unfortunately they only had Red Win Jerseys. I could have got a Zetterberg, Lidstrom or Datsyuk for $19.99 each.

100_3442.jpg

100_3441.jpg

100_3443.jpg

100_3444.jpg

100_3445.jpg

100_3446.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I was in Ross last night and I saw a bunch of blank NBA Jersey templates. Among those found were the Kings away, the Gold Kings alternate, Sonics home, T-Wolves away, and Warriors road.

I saw that at my local Ross as well along with blank Texas A&M and another college basketball jersey that is blue with white trim.

At Marshalls I saw a couple of Chargers Authentic jerseys for $50.00. It might be worth it to check out your local stores to see if they also have some Authentics especially at $50.00!

sig.jpg

Hit up a Reebok Outlet in Avon, MA yesterday, found some cool (but in cases, outdated) replica NFL jerseys for $9.99 apiece. Some I can recall are...

Bengals - Houshmandzadeh #84 (Orange)

Broncos - Cutler #6 (Navy)

Lions - Sims #50 (Blue)

Patriots - Bruschi #54 (White)

Jets - Favre #4 (Green)

Buccaneers - Garcia #7 (Red)

There were a few more. Not the greatest collection, but a nice opportunity to grab a "vintage" jersey for ten bucks.

Went to my local Marshalls last night and found an authentic white Lamont Jordan Raiders jersey for $29.99. It's strange b/c you only usually see Patriots replica jerseys up here (they only had John Lynch). They only had two jersey's (size 48 or 52), so I picked up the 48.

123xa2.png

The tags all showed $19.99 but had a slash and were for $9.99. Today I went for a black friday sale but unfortunately they only had Red Win Jerseys. I could have got a Zetterberg, Lidstrom or Datsyuk for $19.99 each.

Hey Dan, where's this AJ Wright you went to? I'm from Almont and I think I may need to make a short venture out to where ever this place is at...

Give away my secrets?

Sure why not.

Here is a link with addresses and locations:

http://www.aj-wright.com/search_results.aspx?postcode=48065

I mostly hit the Warren and Oak Park Locations. I have been to Flint and Roseville also. I got all 4 NHL jerseys at the Warren location. I got 4 MLB jerseys for $9.99 each at the Flint store.

Here is a clip from their most recent ad:

AJ.jpg

I am going to Columbus in January and am dragging the gf to locations down there.

Almont... you're like 5 minutes away from me.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Almont... you're like 5 minutes away from me.

-Dan

Haha, so it seems... to be honest, I consider Romeo more of my home than Almont. Growing up, all of my activities, friends, errands were in Romeo or Washington (Not that Almont had a whole lot of stuff going on in those areas). Youth basketball at RMS, Little League baseball at Powell, soccer everywhere from AYSO at Simpson Park, to playing North Macomb at Crystal Diamonds... even playing in the Peachfest several years... Romeo was my childhood stomping grounds.

Anyway, thanks for sharing... I'll have to hit up the Warren location during Christmas break some time. Who knows.. maybe we'll run into each other sometime. I can trust you'll be the only person in Romeo wearing a hockey jersey that doesn't have the winged wheel on the front... ;)

I hit the mid week swap meet earlier tonight and found a vendor who was selling early/mid 90s New Era's and other caps for $4 bucks each and I picked up

DSC03496.jpg

DSC03495.jpg

I really wanted the pinwheel Expos, and Toronto Blue Jays caps but they were both too small. All the caps he sold were brand new, and still had the tags,and inner cardboard shells.

L.A. Rams caps like that are going for $30/each on eBay.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

I had the mother of all thrift store gems today and good news for all!

From time to time I stop in at AJ Wright. Occassionally I can buy a baseball jersey on the cheap. Actually today I stopped in to get a tie. I found a tie and as I was heading up to pay I passed a $9.99 discount rack. A piece of orange and blue material caught my eye. I did a double take and thought, "No, it can't be what I think it is" so I passed it and paid. As I was walking to my car in the parking lot I started thinking what if... So my jersey lust got the best of me and to my surprise there was a rack full of NHL jerseys. Granted there were only 3 teams represented on the rack but I walked away with one of each! Today I bought a Oilers 3rd, and Oilers road, a Devils road and a home Senators Alfredsson. $9.99 Each!!!!! Would have got a road Sens too but their largest was a small.

I needed answers so I was able to talk to the purchasing manager of the store. She told me that they will now sell NHL jerseys. They will be overstock jerseys, last years jerseys and Mitchell and something (Ness) jerseys. She said they would b e in the $9.99-$19.99 range. The manager didn't feel that they would sell though as most of thier clients if they do buy jerseys usually by basketball or football but hockey will be on the racks full time starting Friday. She showed me a catalog that they buy from and they will also have vintage apparal hats as well as t-shirts, hoodies, sweat shirts etc...

This is a great day for us bargin buying dorks.

www.aj-wright.com

Pics to follow once the gf gets home with the camera.

-Dan

EDIT:

How would you like to pick up said Datsyuk jersey and ship it to Pennsylvania? :D

I am currently in aj wright getting 6 edge maple leaf jerseys for 20 bucks each. 1 is a kaberle.

-Dan

While the cashier is ringing me up I may as well add that this is the location I got the other four. Sorry shum no wings

Still can't find any Caps jerseys at the AJ Wrights in Northern VA. My problem is that I keep calling them instead of just going to the store. Also, 3 stores have said the same thing: that as soon as the flier went out, a lot of people have purchased more than just one jersey. So am I missing the boat on this?

I am currently in aj wright getting 6 edge maple leaf jerseys for 20 bucks each. 1 is a kaberle.

-Dan

While the cashier is ringing me up I may as well add that this is the location I got the other four. Sorry shum no wings

Still can't find any Caps jerseys at the AJ Wrights in Northern VA. My problem is that I keep calling them instead of just going to the store. Also, 3 stores have said the same thing: that as soon as the flier went out, a lot of people have purchased more than just one jersey. So am I missing the boat on this?

You have to go in, they wont/can't give you an answer over the phone. They usually re-stock on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Good Luck!

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Archived