Thrift Store Gems '09

Sc8b

I had been eager to head over to Ross again. I hadn't gotten some shirts and shorts there but I hadn't looked for sports stuff there. I went today and got this for $10:

0718091449-00.jpg

0718091449-01.jpg

I've had that jersey for years. First, it was a Leon Washington jersey, then a Myron Rolle jersey, and now it's an E.J. Manuel jersey. I paid more than $10 for it, but I'd say I've gotten some pretty good wear out of it.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got dragged into a TK Maxx (UK's version of TJ Maxx, we already have a chain called TJ Hughes) by a friend at the weekend. Found some interesting stuff - a load of Champion NBA jerseys (Lakers & Cavs, cheap UK replicas), some NFL jerseys (didn't look at them), some Majestic baseball jerseys (Had Yankees, A's, Cubs and another team I forget. Don't know about baseball jerseys so I have no idea about the quality), but most interestingly they had a single size 56 M&N Wes Unseld Bullets '78 road jersey. It was £39.99, but I had no money on me (and my friend wouldn't lend me any, the bastard). Went back yesterday and it was gone.

Never seen any M&N stuff in a TK Maxx over here, I hope it's the start of a trend.

A great quality replica powder blue Expos road jersey from the 80's with the eMb and "expos" stitched onto it for only $8. Wouldn't fit me at all, but fit my uncle, a former Expos diehard perfectly well. He gave me $20 for it. and I didn't even ask.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I didn't pick it up at a thrift store, but instead off of the clearance rack at my local sporting goods store. It is a Russell dealer sample of the jersey that the West team wore in the 2008 Little League World Series. It was only $6 after tax.

LLWSWestJersey001.jpg

LLWSWestJersey002.jpg

LLWSWestJersey003.jpg

LLWSWestJersey004.jpg

wow! im a little late on this but GREAT find! ill pay you for that one. do you know where else they sell those?

sig.png

I didn't pick it up at a thrift store, but instead off of the clearance rack at my local sporting goods store. It is a Russell dealer sample of the jersey that the West team wore in the 2008 Little League World Series. It was only $6 after tax.

LLWSWestJersey001.jpg

LLWSWestJersey002.jpg

LLWSWestJersey003.jpg

LLWSWestJersey004.jpg

wow! im a little late on this but GREAT find! ill pay you for that one. do you know where else they sell those?

I picked it up at a local sporting goods store that specializes in team sales. It was a Russell sample jersey that was on clearance. You can try looking on eBay or at an local sporting good stores that does team sales (namely the local mom & pop stores).

Also, great snag on the Moon Oilers jersey. Very sweet.

LLWSWestJersey001.jpg

LLWSWestJersey002.jpg

LLWSWestJersey003.jpg

LLWSWestJersey004.jpg

I picked it up at a local sporting goods store that specializes in team sales. It was a Russell sample jersey that was on clearance. You can try looking on eBay or at an local sporting good stores that does team sales (namely the local mom & pop stores).

thanks for the advice. do you have to buy that in a city that hosts a LLWS team? Because if so, i have no chance. but seriously, ill buy that from you if your not too attached to it.

sig.png

LLWSWestJersey001.jpg

LLWSWestJersey002.jpg

LLWSWestJersey003.jpg

LLWSWestJersey004.jpg

thanks for the advice. do you have to buy that in a city that hosts a LLWS team? Because if so, i have no chance. but seriously, ill buy that from you if your not too attached to it.

Actually, you can look at team sales stores that deal with Russell and see if they may have one.

Wow, all these finds are great...anyone know of any good thrift shops in the Long Island area?

TJ Maxx and Marshalls are the best bet. Ones in different areas differ in quality, so it depends on what you want. i.e. - there is one just off the northern most SOB exit that is awesome for suits, as is the one in Smithtown. I always find the ones in Massapequa and Freeport to be good for jerseys.

Centruy 21 in Westbury (I think) sometimes gets M&N jerseys which is AWESOME.

There are a couple AJ Wright's around, but the one or two I have gone to are quite "ghetto."

For TJ Maxx, Marshalls and AJ Wright, check out their websites for locations.

There is a new outlet mall somewhere on the Island thought I don't recall exactly where. I think Deer Park. Anyway, the Reebok store there was a goldmine of "retro" NFL jerseys and "retro" (read CCM550) NHL jerseys.

OH, and if you want cool jerseys (not necessarily cheap though), I'd suggest Amity Harbor Sports on Merrick Rd. in Amityville.

I hope that all helps,

Rob

Saturday, got a Cooperstown Collection Astros "Rainbow Guts" jersey for $5.24 after tax at a Value Village thrift store.

How the mighty have fallen! Remember when eBay sellers were getting $200 for the replica?

The felt star was a little pilled, and there was a coffee stain on the front, but it washed right out.

Me happy.

Wow, all these finds are great...anyone know of any good thrift shops in the Long Island area?

TJ Maxx and Marshalls are the best bet. Ones in different areas differ in quality, so it depends on what you want. i.e. - there is one just off the northern most SOB exit that is awesome for suits, as is the one in Smithtown. I always find the ones in Massapequa and Freeport to be good for jerseys.

Centruy 21 in Westbury (I think) sometimes gets M&N jerseys which is AWESOME.

There are a couple AJ Wright's around, but the one or two I have gone to are quite "ghetto."

For TJ Maxx, Marshalls and AJ Wright, check out their websites for locations.

There is a new outlet mall somewhere on the Island thought I don't recall exactly where. I think Deer Park. Anyway, the Reebok store there was a goldmine of "retro" NFL jerseys and "retro" (read CCM550) NHL jerseys.

OH, and if you want cool jerseys (not necessarily cheap though), I'd suggest Amity Harbor Sports on Merrick Rd. in Amityville.

I hope that all helps,

Rob

Hey, thanks a ton Rob!

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

• 4 weeks later...

got this from a thrift store and it was only 10 bucks. It pretty much the nicest type of replica that you can buy. It has stitched numbers and the same panels that nike uses on the OSU real jerseys. Only things that dont make it authentic is the material and it doesnt have scrunchy arms

33.png

Not really a thrift-store gem, but a bit of an eBay steal. I picked up an authentic 1994 Brewers home jersey that seems entirely kosher for about $50. Well, kosher except that it has clearly been customized after the fact, since the script and patch are authentic to 1994, but it's numbered on the back with "Viña 1" on the back, and Fernando Viña didn't join the Brew Crew until '95.

So I'm going to have to have it stripped and re-customized. My problem? I can't decide what name and number to put on. Wouldn't be an issue, except the NOB really looks like it's going to show stitch marks when removed if it's not covered with a new NOB. Otherwise, I'd just put a 4 on the back and be done with it. Also problematic: There's basically nobody on the 1994 Brewers whose name I really want to wear around on my back.

Right now, I'm leaning toward:

Fingers 34 (Brewers retired his number in '94)

Molitor 4 (my favorite Brewer)

Wurst 1 (from the sausage race; "Brett Wurst" wears #1)

Any votes, or other suggestions?

20082614447.png

Not really a thrift-store gem, but a bit of an eBay steal. I picked up an authentic 1994 Brewers home jersey that seems entirely kosher for about $50. Well, kosher except that it has clearly been customized after the fact, since the script and patch are authentic to 1994, but it's numbered on the back with "Viña 1" on the back, and Fernando Viña didn't join the Brew Crew until '95.

So I'm going to have to have it stripped and re-customized. My problem? I can't decide what name and number to put on. Wouldn't be an issue, except the NOB really looks like it's going to show stitch marks when removed if it's not covered with a new NOB. Otherwise, I'd just put a 4 on the back and be done with it. Also problematic: There's basically nobody on the 1994 Brewers whose name I really want to wear around on my back.

Right now, I'm leaning toward:

Fingers 34 (Brewers retired his number in '94)

Molitor 4 (my favorite Brewer)

Wurst 1 (from the sausage race; "Brett Wurst" wears #1)

Any votes, or other suggestions?

I dunno, seems to me like there's a lot of solid possibilities on this roster. Greg Vaughn, John Jaha, BJ Surhoff, Pat Listach, Cal Eldred... or you could always go with Phil Garner, too.

I recently picked up a '99 road Brewers jersey for a shade under $50 on eBay. I'm having EPS sew on the County Stadium patch and add Jim Abbott's number 25. When I went there last week, Terry (I think it was Terry, anyway) took one look at it and said, "Oh yeah, that one's no problem." Ah, what a magical place.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I dunno, seems to me like there's a lot of solid possibilities on this roster. Greg Vaughn, John Jaha, BJ Surhoff, Pat Listach, Cal Eldred... or you could always go with Phil Garner, too.

I recently picked up a '99 road Brewers jersey for a shade under $50 on eBay. I'm having EPS sew on the County Stadium patch and add Jim Abbott's number 25. When I went there last week, Terry (I think it was Terry, anyway) took one look at it and said, "Oh yeah, that one's no problem." Ah, what a magical place.

Listach is a great idea , rookie of the year and all. Though it would be a bummer if I got him on the jersey and he wasn't still with the Nats next year.

You lucky dog! A trip to EPS would be like a pilgrimage for me. I do all my business with them via mail. When I emailed my question about the '94 Brewers jersey, Joshua replied, "We've got the specs. No problem." When I send the Brewers jersey in, I'm also going to have them swap out a patch to turn a mid-1990s Rawlings Twins jersey into a 1991 replica. It's all about the early '90s this fall, apparently. Time to break out the Zubas, throw a Dada CD on the stereo, and debate whether the Yankees will ever win another World Series. Man, those were the days.

20082614447.png

Archived