Arsenal Forever

NJ Devils Black Jerseys?

Hey everyone. I'm a Rangers fan but my dad got tickets to last night's Devils vs Habs game from someone at his workplace, so he and I went just to root against the Devils. I saw quite a few fans wearing black Devils jerseys...Like the red ones they wear now, but instead switch where the red and black are. Are these eBay specials, or did they actually ever wear such a jersey?

Thanks for any help everyone.

I'm almost positive that the Devils are one of only two teams (the other being the Red Wings) who ahve never had an alt of any kind. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that somewhere.

i know quite a few years ago that Starter made black "fashion" jerseys for all the NHL teams replacing the color with black.... these may be those...

I'm almost positive that the Devils are one of only two teams (the other being the Red Wings) who ahve never had an alt of any kind. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that somewhere.

Detroit has had two alts - 1992/93 and this year for the Winter Classic. Therefore, NJ is the only team to never have an Alternate jersey.

I was also at last nights game and I believe I saw some of those jerseys. They looked OK, but would not be the most fun alternate jersey if they were to ever come into existence.

Detroit has had two alts - 1992/93 and this year for the Winter Classic. Therefore, NJ is the only team to never have an Alternate jersey.

I was also at last nights game and I believe I saw some of those jerseys. They looked OK, but would not be the most fun alternate jersey if they were to ever come into existence.

This is probably the jersey that you saw...

NewJerseyDevilsAltBlack.jpg

I remember the Devils selling them at the arena back around 2000/2001. I am pretty sure they were the Starter "alternates;" similar to the yellow Panthers one and powder blue ones for the Avalanche and Red Wings.

The Devils also had a black alternate jersey that they sold at the arena with a Devil on it that looked a lot like the Cardiff Devils logo. It's basically the same jersey the Lowell Devils are wearing, in black of course.

I always loved that John Mullen never compromised with alternate jerseys and/or patches. I thought that was pretty classy. That has changed, though the new owner has done a good job as well. (JM patch and "25th" patch. Both were small and I believe on the back hem)

Rob

Detroit has had two alts - 1992/93 and this year for the Winter Classic.

For the record, the Red Wings wore their alts in 91/92, not 92/93

Detroit has had two alts - 1992/93 and this year for the Winter Classic.

For the record, the Red Wings wore their alts in 91/92, not 92/93

Crap, thats what I meant. My bad!

That black jersey posted above doesn't look half bad

No black jerseys for the Devils.

Lou, the GM, will not do alt/retro jerseys - he's dead set against them.

The black jersey is a fan requested/fashion jersey -

The K.C. Chiefs have black football and yellow football jersey but are just fan fashion.

I'd like to see the Devils wear their old green/red/black jerseys a couple of times a year.

But, are we really counting those Wings jerseys? The 91/92 ones were as part of a league-wide throwback trend, and this year's Winter Classic ones are obviously for a special occasion as well. I suppose we could differentiate between "alternates" and "thirds", but the Wings have still never had a true alternate jersey that they wear 10-15 times a year like every other non-NJ team in the league.