Coin Toss Options

BBTV

The captain of the team that wins the coin toss can select to kick, receive, or defer to the 2nd half.

If they choose to receive, then obviously they will kick to start the 2nd half.

If they chose to kick, do they receive to start the 2nd half, or does the other team then get the choice (so they'd have to kick again?)

If they defer to the second half, isn't that the same as choosing to kick, since the other team will invariably choose to receive?

I guess I don't see the point of deferring, when it seems that both options are covered by kick and receive.

Almost.

The team that wins the toss (Team A) has first choice of the following options:

1) Whether to kick or receive to open the game.

2) Which end zone to defend to open the game.

3) Defer their choice until the second half.

If the team that won the toss did not defer, then the team that lost the toss (Team B) chooses from the remaining options. (So if team A chose to receive, then team B gets to choose the end of the field.) Of course, if Team A defers, then team B has their choice of kick or receive, or which end to defend.

At the beginning of the second half, the team that did not have first choice, has first choice. This is either the team that lost the toss, or the team that won and deferred their option. This is why teams either receive or defer. To do anything else would in all likelihood, require you to kick off to start both halves.

Incidentally, Madden's been wrong for years, I'm still waiting for them to fix it.

Thanks for that.

So then if there was really some terrible weather, you could theoretically use the deferral as a means to set yourself up to have the wind advantage at the end (though that would mean kicking twice.)

I could swear that I had seen teams elect to kick after winning the toss in the past, but apparently I was mistaken, as that would just be stupid.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The captain of the team that wins the coin toss can select to kick, receive, or defer to the 2nd half.

If they chose to kick, do they receive to start the 2nd half, or does the other team then get the choice (so they'd have to kick again?)

If they defer to the second half, isn't that the same as choosing to kick, since the other team will invariably choose to receive?

I guess I don't see the point of deferring, when it seems that both options are covered by kick and receive.

Almost.

If the team that won the toss did not defer, then the team that lost the toss (Team B) chooses from the remaining options. (So if team A chose to receive, then team B gets to choose the end of the field.) Of course, if Team A defers, then team B has their choice of kick or receive, or which end to defend.

At the beginning of the second half, the team that did not have first choice, has first choice. This is either the team that lost the toss, or the team that won and deferred their option. This is why teams either receive or defer. To do anything else would in all likelihood, require you to kick off to start both halves.

Incidentally, Madden's every football game I've ever played been wrong for years, I'm still waiting for them to fix it.

Chalk me up as "confused as :censored:" here.

I always thought it was simple (winner of coin toss gets to kick/receive or defend, loser picks from the remaining options) - I guess it was the video games. Then again, I've always wondered why NFL teams always tend to receive... getting the ball first in the second half seems like a much better option.

So, when Team ΠWINS the coin toss and ends up kicking off, after all is said and done, it really works like this:

1. Team Πwins coin toss, elects to defer to second half (because they want to receive the second half kickoff)

2. Team Ø elects to receive the opening kickoff

Or am I missing something. What if team Ø decided they wanted to defend a goal instead? Who would kick off in the first half? Would team Œ then get to decide?

:blink:

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I think the issue is the one that came up in the Abner Haynes example. When you make a choice between the available options - kick/receive OR choose which end to defend - the other team gets whichever option is left over. So when he assumed they'd have to kick off and said, "We'll kick to the clock," he made a choice by saying "We'll kick..." and then Houston got to choose which end to defend. Deferring keeps both options available to the team that wins the toss; choosing to kick off does not.

Speaking of coin tosses, anybody see the OT toss that hit Urlacher in the back of the helmet? That was pretty funny.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Almost.

Incidentally, Madden's every football game I've ever played been wrong for years, I'm still waiting for them to fix it.

I always thought it was simple (winner of coin toss gets to kick/receive or defend, loser picks from the remaining options) - I guess it was the video games. Then again, I've always wondered why NFL teams always tend to receive... getting the ball first in the second half seems like a much better option.

So, when Team ΠWINS the coin toss and ends up kicking off, after all is said and done, it really works like this:

1. Team Πwins coin toss, elects to defer to second half (because they want to receive the second half kickoff)

Or am I missing something. What if team Ø decided they wanted to defend a goal instead? Who would kick off in the first half? Would team Œ then get to decide?

OK. If team Œ defers, and then team Ø chooses to defend a goal, then team Œ gets to choose whether to kick or receive. Then in the second half, team Œ has their first choice of options, which most likely is to receive.

LvZYtbZ.png

Almost.

So, when Team ? WINS the coin toss and ends up kicking off, after all is said and done, it really works like this:

1. Team ? wins coin toss, elects to defer to second half (because they want to receive the second half kickoff)

Or am I missing something. What if team Ø decided they wanted to defend a goal instead? Who would kick off in the first half? Would team ? then get to decide?

OK. If team ? defers, and then team Ø chooses to defend a goal, then team ? gets to choose whether to kick or receive. Then in the second half, team ? has their first choice of options, which most likely is to receive.

OK. I got it. So when, in the NFL, the team that wins the coin toss ends up kicking, the process by which this occurred involved the coin toss-winner deferring?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

OK. If team ? defers, and then team Ø chooses to defend a goal, then team ? gets to choose whether to kick or receive. Then in the second half, team ? has their first choice of options, which most likely is to receive.
OK. I got it. So when, in the NFL, the team that wins the coin toss ends up kicking, the process by which this occurred involved the coin toss-winner deferring?
Most likely.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived