More On The Hockey Canada 2010 Logo Dispute

Linus

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canada's only official colours are red and white (red and silver in heraldic terms). The black's been added by the country's national sports teams over the years to complement the red white. In the past blue was used (both because for a long time Canada's flag included the mostly blue Union Jack and to symbolize Canada's French heritage), but it was dropped in favour of black because it made the Canadian teams look "too American."

Though using colours other then the two official ones isn't a new development. As I said above, blue has been used. Green (the maple leafs on the Canadian flag were green until 1957) and gold have been other favourites.

But yeah, the country's only official colours are red and white.

Yep, Canada wore blue pants during the Tackla era in the early 90s.

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

How come when the Detroit Lions, 49ers, Mets, Calgary Flames, etc. add black to their uniforms everyone seems to get all bothered, but nobody seems to mind that team Canada added black when it isn't one of their colors? I personally don't mind when a team adds black to gain a little contrast, but I'm in the minority there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How come when the Detroit Lions, 49ers, Mets, Calgary Flames, etc. add black to their uniforms everyone seems to get all bothered, but nobody seems to mind that team Canada added black when it isn't one of their colors? I personally don't mind when a team adds black to gain a little contrast, but I'm in the minority there.

I think the USSR had a lot to do with it. Their national uniforms were just red and white, so Canada had to pick an other colour to their set.

Personally I'm not much of a fan of the black. Which is why I love the current set of Canada jerseys. If a trim colour was going to be added, I would prefer it be either green or blue, and then only used as a highlight colour.

Didn't they recenly start using gold as an outline for all of the logos?

Yah they did.

I love the black Team Canada jerseys.

The black alternates with the alternate logo are my favourite Canadian jerseys.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I saw the most bizarre thing tonight as I was watching a dvd I got, "Ultimate Gretzky". It's footage of Gretzky on the '78 World Junior team and wearing a white version of the classic Canada Cup jersey. The thing that was bizzare was it was mainly blue. The jersey was white with a blue "Canada" and leaf on the front, the name and numbers were blue, the pants were blue with two white stripes (think LA Kings 1988), and two blue sock stripes. The only red on it was the leaf on each arm! Now that was a mind blower to me. It was also weird to see him wearing #9.

I saw the most bizarre thing tonight as I was watching a dvd I got, "Ultimate Gretzky". It's footage of Gretzky on the '78 World Junior team and wearing a white version of the classic Canada Cup jersey. The thing that was bizzare was it was mainly blue. The jersey was white with a blue "Canada" and leaf on the front, the name and numbers were blue, the pants were blue with two white stripes (think LA Kings 1988), and two blue sock stripes. The only red on it was the leaf on each arm! Now that was a mind blower to me. It was also weird to see him wearing #9.

597.jpg

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

This is sad but I love how Fasel kept on saying we'll find a way

x2.

I really hope they do, that logo is what millions of kids will give a left arm to play for.

A maple leaf is a maple leaf. No matter how it is portrayed, it is essentially the same. Doesn't matter whether it is the logo with the Gretzky silhouette nor a blank one, as long as one is on there somewhere that is all that will matter.

Remember this is a relatively new logo... people have long played under different logos...

Very true, but this one just suits Canadian Hockey so well.

The logo has sentimental value with Canadians, but really at the end of the day, hockey is hockey no matter how it looks.

If they can't wear it, what you are using for your avatar would suffice for me as a Canadian and a Vancouverite that will be eagerly watching and waiting for the Olympics hockey.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

x2.

I really hope they do, that logo is what millions of kids will give a left arm to play for.

A maple leaf is a maple leaf. No matter how it is portrayed, it is essentially the same. Doesn't matter whether it is the logo with the Gretzky silhouette nor a blank one, as long as one is on there somewhere that is all that will matter.

Remember this is a relatively new logo... people have long played under different logos...

The logo has sentimental value with Canadians, but really at the end of the day, hockey is hockey no matter how it looks.

If they can't wear it, what you are using for your avatar would suffice for me as a Canadian and a Vancouverite that will be eagerly watching and waiting for the Olympics hockey.

The problem is that Korbyn's avatar depicts a logo that is also trademarked by Hockey Canada. They would have to create a brand new identity, and not trademark it

Juventus.png

Yeah, blue was the highlight colour of choice for Canada prior to black.

If we had adopted this flag in 1965 instead of the one we did, we could have kept the blue;

600px-Canada_Pearson_Pennant_1964sv.png

Yeah, blue was the highlight colour of choice for Canada prior to black.

If we had adopted this flag in 1965 instead of the one we did, we could have kept the blue;

600px-Canada_Pearson_Pennant_1964sv.png

HMM why not make that interesting flag from 1965 the main crest with a wordmark of Canada underneath?? Might solve the problem somehow?? Just an idea....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

x2.

The problem is that Korbyn's avatar depicts a logo that is also trademarked by Hockey Canada. They would have to create a brand new identity, and not trademark it

Which is a shame because that is such a great logo.

I really miss seeing it on the team jerseys.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

x2.

It wouldn't be too hard to make a non-infringing (trademark or copyright) mark that carries the same design aesthetic as that mark.

BTW, your avatar logo was on the 2002 Alternate Jerseys, no? I've been looking for pictures, but I don't think the team wore them in Olympic competition. I do remember a mag cover of #66 in the alt jersey. Anyone have any pics?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

x2.

It wouldn't be too hard to make a non-infringing (trademark or copyright) mark that carries the same design aesthetic as that mark.

BTW, your avatar logo was on the 2002 Alternate Jerseys, no? I've been looking for pictures, but I don't think the team wore them in Olympic competition. I do remember a mag cover of #66 in the alt jersey. Anyone have any pics?

YzermanInCanada.jpg

zzPEfBm.png

YzermanInCanada.jpg

That should be the primary jersey for the 2010 Olympics.. perfect one....I think it would do well.. a white version of that also would be interesting...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

YzermanInCanada.jpg

That should be the primary jersey for the 2010 Olympics.. perfect one....I think it would do well.. a white version of that also would be interesting...

Again, they can't use that crest either as it is also trademarked. I'm also guessing that the retro uniforms worn at the World Juniors is also trademarked.

My guess is they will just take the leaf from the flag and use that as a crest. They'll end up looking like a red version on the Toronto Maple Leafs. Or they will make a tweak to the current logo (like Canda Baseball did) and use that.

Archived