More On The Hockey Canada 2010 Logo Dispute

Linus

This is sad but I love how Fasel kept on saying we'll find a way

x2.

I really hope they do, that logo is what millions of kids will give a left arm to play for.

A maple leaf is a maple leaf. No matter how it is portrayed, it is essentially the same. Doesn't matter whether it is the logo with the Gretzky silhouette nor a blank one, as long as one is on there somewhere that is all that will matter.

Remember this is a relatively new logo... people have long played under different logos...

Very true, but this one just suits Canadian Hockey so well.

The logo has sentimental value with Canadians, but really at the end of the day, hockey is hockey no matter how it looks.

If they can't wear it, what you are using for your avatar would suffice for me as a Canadian and a Vancouverite that will be eagerly watching and waiting for the Olympics hockey.

The problem is that Korbyn's avatar depicts a logo that is also trademarked by Hockey Canada. They would have to create a brand new identity, and not trademark it

Which is a shame because that is such a great logo.

I really miss seeing it on the team jerseys.

It wouldn't be too hard to make a non-infringing (trademark or copyright) mark that carries the same design aesthetic as that mark.

BTW, your avatar logo was on the 2002 Alternate Jerseys, no? I've been looking for pictures, but I don't think the team wore them in Olympic competition. I do remember a mag cover of #66 in the alt jersey. Anyone have any pics?

YzermanInCanada.jpg

As beautiful as that jersey was, we got spanked wearing them during that game against Sweden :cry:

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Good news as IOC President Jacques Rogge says that Hockey Canada can put their logo on the jersey "in some form" for Vancouver 2010.

All Hockey Canada has to do now is try and negotiate with the COC. The COC has been very staunch in their decision to not allow Hockey Canada to have their logo, because they want their logo on the hockey jerseys. I think a deal can be reached. Overall, this is good news, as Hockey Canada now has the IIHF and the IOC on their side.

Juventus.png

Good news as IOC President Jacques Rogge says that Hockey Canada can put their logo on the jersey "in some form" for Vancouver 2010.

All Hockey Canada has to do now is try and negotiate with the COC. The COC has been very staunch in their decision to not allow Hockey Canada to have their logo, because they want their logo on the hockey jerseys. I think a deal can be reached. Overall, this is good news, as Hockey Canada now has the IIHF and the IOC on their side.

w00t!

That is beautiful news, I can't wait to watch the 2010 Olympics with my Mike Richards jersey on ^_^

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Well of course it could always appear, it just can't be the primary logo. All other teams have their federation logo on their jersey somewhere, Canada would not have been an exception.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Well of course it could always appear, it just can't be the primary logo. All other teams have their federation logo on their jersey somewhere, Canada would not have been an exception.

Which says to me that we'll see the alternates used during the World Juniors, with the Hockey Canada logo on the shoulders.

And I'm happy with that.

Which says to me that we'll see the alternates used during the World Juniors, with the Hockey Canada logo on the shoulders.

And I'm happy with that.

Ughh, its better then nothing.

Those jerseys are really growing on me though.

34013.jpg

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I don't know that its that simple. Nicholson confirmed the IOC has rejected six jersey designs submitted by Hockey Canada.

"The money off the jerseys has been very beneficial not just to our national-team programs, but more importantly to our grassroots programs," Nicholson said. "That is a concern.

"We've done a tremendous amount in the last two and three years to tie all youngsters to our logo and we're going to have to miss a two-week period that could have helped us keep those dreams alive."

Its pretty sad that the IOC is so money-grubbing for merchandise revenues that they stoop to this sort of nonsense. Of course, they've been a pretty corrupt and morally dubious organization for a long time now, so I guess we shouldn't be so surprised.

YzermanInCanada.jpg

As beautiful as that jersey was, we got spanked wearing them during that game against Sweden :cry:

They sure were quick to pull the plug on a perfectly good jersey, that many fans invested their hard earned Loonies in, because of the results of a single game. It's down right juvenile how they react sometimes to things like that.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Just got this press release in my inbox:

TORONTO, Feb. 14 /CNW/ - The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) announced today it will submit a modified version of the traditional Hockey Canada jersey, as requested by Hockey Canada, to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for use at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The jersey is being submitted for approval in light of a more flexible approach to the issue of competition wear guidelines that has been signaled by comments emanating from the IOC this past week in Vancouver.

The COC is continuing to work with Hockey Canada in this ongoing process and will await word from the IOC on approval.

A suggestion that has received some recent attention is the possible use of the iconic 1972 Summit Series Team Canada jersey. From the COC's perspective, this would present a very interesting option to pursue with Hockey Canada in the event the IOC does not approve the current submission.

Named the greatest team of the 20th Century by the Hockey Hall of Fame,the '72 Summit Series between Canada and the Soviet Union is an enduring moment in Canadian history. In consideration of the national pride generatedfrom the '72 series and what these home Games in 2010 will mean to Canada,this is something that Canadians could certainly identify with.

The COC will continue to work with its sport partner Hockey Canada to find a solution that works for both parties and meets with IOC approval.

So make of that what you will.

What is going to happen with the other countries? Same design? Or is the logo use only a problem for Canada?

We're the only country who uses our federation logo as our primary logo. Every other country has theirs as a shoulder logo or in some other spot on the jersey.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

And I'm happy with that.

Ughh, its better then nothing.

Those jerseys are really growing on me though.

34013.jpg

Those are some of my favourite Canada jerseys to be honest. Maybe it's the pseudo-BSG font, maybe it's the fact that they're updates of Canada's Canada Cup "glory years" uniforms, but I personally love this sweater.

Also, and I know I'm in the minority here, the primary Hockey Canada logo has never really been a favourite of mine.

YzermanInCanada.jpg

They sure were quick to pull the plug on a perfectly good jersey, that many fans invested their hard earned Loonies in, because of the results of a single game. It's down right juvenile how they react sometimes to things like that.

I agree, the uni's were my favorite Canada unis of all time, and just as soon as they were introduced they were pulled. Shame.

jNTsTyQ.png

What is going to happen with the other countries? Same design? Or is the logo use only a problem for Canada?

We're the only country who uses our federation logo as our primary logo. Every other country has theirs as a shoulder logo or in some other spot on the jersey.

Isn't the USA logo the USA hockey logo?

6fQjS3M.png

Isn't the USA logo the USA hockey logo?

I believe because it is modified they don't consider it to be the federation logo. That part I am not 100% on.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

YzermanInCanada.jpg

I would assume they dropped the jerseys because of the Nike Swift jersey program.

These are nice but I think they have too much of a throwback look to be used for every game. I don't miss them that much. The 72 Canada Cup jerseys are terrible IMO. They are terribly dated looking and have random meaningless design elements. There's nothing aesthetically pleasing about the abstract half leaf or lack of stripes. It's really just a glorified old practice jersey. The only reason the press and HHOF likes them is because their generation is nostalgic for that era. And "team of the century"? Please. That's nothing but a reflection of the voting age of the HHOF. That 72 team was slow, out of shape and they barely beat the Russians. They wouldn't last a period against the team Canada junior team of the last few years. Which leads me back to the best Team Canada jersey of all time:

The best Team Canada uniform of all time is the current set worn by the Junior team. The minimalist red and white jersey with black accessories is perfect. It perfectly uses the national colours of red and white without washing itself out. I especially love how they removed the black stripes. The stripes are classic hockey and they echo past Canada teams. They seem wholly original without the black. The coolest thing about this jersey is that it looks like it could have been worn in any era yet it is still very modern. It's too bad that it will likely only be worn for just one WJC. It really is a classic and should be worn more.

DEATH TO REEBOK

YzermanInCanada.jpg

I would assume they dropped the jerseys because of the Nike Swift jersey program.

SpyBoy probably is commenting about the fact that those jerseys have only been worn once by the men's team, and once by the woman's team, and have never been worn elsewhere. In fact, when Hockey Canada rolled out 4 jerseys in 2001 (the home, away, red alternate and black alternate), they initially intended for this design to be their official 3rd jersey. They commented that the 4th jersey (the black jersey with the red maple leaf) was only intended to be a "fan jersey." After the 2002 Olympics, the black jersey essentially became the 3rd jersey.

Juventus.png

• 1 month later...

Archived