Pro team Championship Belts

Gary

Both of the custom championship belts look awesome, and I also love the idea. The Alaska belt is an...interesting effort. Not saying anything else about the pic.

And the other belts? Meh. The former WCW World Heavyweight Title is overused it seems...and the fact that it's the converted-to-WWE title of a defunct wrestling organization seems to be lost on players (and WWE execs for that matter...I'll never see that thing as a WWE title).

The Titans and Cards have set the bar. If you wanna rock some title belts...follow the lead.

I don't see that as a WWE or WCW or even a NWA title, to me that is Rick Flair's title. When I think World Heavyweight Champion in wrestling, no other belt comes to my mind, I just picture Slick Rick walking that aisle, stylin' and profilin'. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The People's Champion, Freddie Mitchell.

30mitchell.large1.jpg

I'm surprised he didn't drop it as he was running around.

Freddie had great hands - he just couldn't ever get open (except on the 4th and 26 play, sorry Pack fans.) He is probably best known for catching LJ Smith's fumble in mid air in the endzone in the 2004 playoffs vs. the Vikings. At the presser after that game, he actually thanked his hands for being so great.

O/T - how ridiculous does that enormous t-shirt look over shoulder pads?

Don't forget about the oven mitts he wore to protect them.

IUe6Hvh.png

Looking at KTAR's website today(and may I add my future home as soon as my contract runs out) and looking at the photos they have posted, I noticed something very cool Bertrand Berry holding the "Sack Champ" Belt.

Gary, are you an OAT, in sales, or engineering?

If memory serves, Gary does sports updates for the station he currently works for. Speaking of which, what's a brother got to do to get someone's ear about a comeback as a sports talk show host? Gary? Mac?

no you'd be correct, I was doing sports updates for KKNT but was relieved of my duties this last October and only being producer for now, this March I will begin a producer job for KTAR Sports 620 here in Phoenix. but glad to fall back onto a job with one of the most prestigeous stations in the valley.

A few random thoughts...

First, it's cool that you're apparently able to be self-supporting on a radio salary that doesn't involve sales. In over a decade of being an OAT, even at decent market stations, I struggled to make enough to pay for frivilous things like... food. It wasn't until I gave up on radio to go into voice-over work exclusively that I started making enough that I didn't need a second (or third) job.

Second, 'Red, if I knew the answer to your question I'd be back on the air myself here in Raleigh. At one point not terribly long ago I was in negotiations with the local sports station combo in town, but we couldn't come eye-to-eye on a program format and things sort of just dissipated from there. I for one would love to do it - hell, I'd do it for free now - but the business has changed to a point where I probably couldn't get my foot back in the door on-air if I tried.

nav-logo.png

The People's Champion, Freddie Mitchell.

30mitchell.large1.jpg

I'm surprised he didn't drop it as he was running around.

Freddie had great hands - he just couldn't ever get open (except on the 4th and 26 play, sorry Pack fans.) He is probably best known for catching LJ Smith's fumble in mid air in the endzone in the 2004 playoffs vs. the Vikings. At the presser after that game, he actually thanked his hands for being so great.

O/T - how ridiculous does that enormous t-shirt look over shoulder pads?

Don't forget about the oven mitts he wore to protect them.

Clearly, neither of them have good eyes or half a brain in their head since they're both holding it upside down. ;)

Tennessee had one made by legendary belt maker Reggie Parks

titans2.jpg

The two titles are a great idea. The Cards belt is a little more TNA/NWA ish. The Titans one is just so simple and clean. I'd imagine this is a great way to get the d line amped up.

Looking at KTAR's website today(and may I add my future home as soon as my contract runs out) and looking at the photos they have posted, I noticed something very cool Bertrand Berry holding the "Sack Champ" Belt.

Gary, are you an OAT, in sales, or engineering?

If memory serves, Gary does sports updates for the station he currently works for. Speaking of which, what's a brother got to do to get someone's ear about a comeback as a sports talk show host? Gary? Mac?

no you'd be correct, I was doing sports updates for KKNT but was relieved of my duties this last October and only being producer for now, this March I will begin a producer job for KTAR Sports 620 here in Phoenix. but glad to fall back onto a job with one of the most prestigeous stations in the valley.

A few random thoughts...

First, it's cool that you're apparently able to be self-supporting on a radio salary that doesn't involve sales. In over a decade of being an OAT, even at decent market stations, I struggled to make enough to pay for frivilous things like... food. It wasn't until I gave up on radio to go into voice-over work exclusively that I started making enough that I didn't need a second (or third) job.

Second, 'Red, if I knew the answer to your question I'd be back on the air myself here in Raleigh. At one point not terribly long ago I was in negotiations with the local sports station combo in town, but we couldn't come eye-to-eye on a program format and things sort of just dissipated from there. I for one would love to do it - hell, I'd do it for free now - but the business has changed to a point where I probably couldn't get my foot back in the door on-air if I tried.

I've been at the game for over 9 years now. The first thing anyone told me when I first started working was to save money because you never know when the first opportunity will hit. From 2000-2009 I have done nothing but save because you can't make it on just peanuts. Being OAT, you get a good decent salary for the Phoenix/Mesa/Glendale Market, but I also do producing as well and that is also a good chunk of change as well.

pbobelt1.jpg

pbobelt2.jpg

pbobelt3.jpg

Here's one I have. It's a prototype for a boxing sanctioning body some friends were trying to organize a decade ago that never got off the ground. The only one of its kind, though the logo would later be used on a differently-styled belt in some Ving Rhames/Wesley Snipes prison movie whose name now escapes me... "Undisputed" or something.

nav-logo.png

I've always thought that wrestling belts looked so much cooler than boxing belts.

Mac, were the circles on either side of the center supposed to have any engraving in them, or were they just solid gold?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tennessee had one made by legendary belt maker Reggie Parks

titans2.jpg

As far as shape goes, the Titans' belt looks somewhat similar to my all-time personal favorite...

Belt_ClassicIC.jpg

It actually looks more like the TNA Heavyweight Belt

Which was also done by Reggie Parks and Dave Millican.

2IA3b.png

Wow. Over the top tacky.

Couldn't disagree more. That belt is 100% pure class! I love that they went the extra mile and added the Titans word mark where the snaps are.

They need to update the NFL logo though!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've always thought that wrestling belts looked so much cooler than boxing belts.

Mac, were the circles on either side of the center supposed to have any engraving in them, or were they just solid gold?

They were to be engraved with the name of the recipient along with the particular title won on one side, with the date and result of the bout in which the belt holder won the championship on the other.

nav-logo.png

Wow. Over the top tacky.

Couldn't disagree more. That belt is 100% pure class! I love that they went the extra mile and added the Titans word mark where the snaps are.

I wasn't referring to that belt specifically. It was a general statement regarding all of them.

zzPEfBm.png

Wow. Over the top tacky.

I wasn't referring to that belt specifically. It was a general statement regarding all of them.

I must disagree. I think it is great that the players on these teams (or the teams themselves) do this as a form of recognition.

Plus i just think title belts look like sweetness. (not all, but alot)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived