BC Football Coach Fired

NoHoJoe

I'm sure the Bowls won't care if the BC program takes a dive since they hated inviting them anyways.

Whys that? Do they not travel well for bowl games or something?

Right in one. There's a reason the ACC runner up has played in the Music City Bowl and Champs Sports Bowl the last two years.

It's also the reason BC had such a long bowl winning streak until this year. Better bowls consistently passed over them in favor of teams with actual fan support, giving them a mismatch over their competition. They're sort of an inverted Notre Dame in that regard.

While this is somewhat true, I just want to add that 4 of the 9 years of the Streak (including this year), they played a virtual road game. That includes playing Toledo in Detroit, UNC in Charlotte, and Boise State in that complete craphole (I mean that with all my heart) Boise. then of course this year they finally lost to Vandy in Nashville, 3 miles away. Plus they beat Georgia. Just trying to salvage some dignity. :P

But you're wrong if you think anyone wouldn't trade it for a BCS Bowl game.

I think it was more a personal thing based on what was in the contract or what was said or whatever. But only bad can come out of this and hopefully Gene will understand that this is not a destination school like Florida or Michigan or even BC Hockey. Perhaps Skinner and York have spoiled Gene, though I am almost certain he's smarter than that. But then again now I'm hearing Phil Fulmer rumors... :rolleyes:

But, I think anyone who wants to be Jets head coach should be fired. :P

Obviously he wanted to be fired. He sent a shot across BC's bow by interviewing with the Jets without telling him that he'd be doing so.

I think it was more a personal thing based on what was in the contract or what was said or whatever. But only bad can come out of this and hopefully Gene will understand that this is not a destination school like Florida or Michigan or even BC Hockey. Perhaps Skinner and York have spoiled Gene, though I am almost certain he's smarter than that. But then again now I'm hearing Phil Fulmer rumors... :rolleyes:

But, I think anyone who wants to be Jets head coach should be fired. :P

Obviously he wanted to be fired. He sent a shot across BC's bow by interviewing with the Jets without telling him that he'd be doing so.

I agree now that it's been a few days. By not returing calls, that made it plain obvious. Apparently he wanted out last year too. Shame this all had to happen.

I'm sure the Bowls won't care if the BC program takes a dive since they hated inviting them anyways.

Whys that? Do they not travel well for bowl games or something?

Right in one. There's a reason the ACC runner up has played in the Music City Bowl and Champs Sports Bowl the last two years.

You know, come to think of it I really was surprised at just how dismal the support was for Miami at the Emerald Bowl. I figured it was just because of the distance, but if Penn State can fill up nearly half of the Rose Bowl, then there's no reason that Miami fans couldn't at least take up even the smallest portion of AT&T Park (despite the different stages).

The University of Miami is a different animal than most schools. When I was living in South Florida, most of the radio broadcadcasters and fans alike often compared it to a pro team. The truth is, it really is treated like a pro team. If the 'Canes go to a BCS Bowl or the National Championship, the fans will travel. If the 'Canes have anything less than a 9 win season, the fans stop coming and figure "we'll come back when you're going to compete for a title, but until then we're going to go watch the Dolphins...or Heat...or whoever is winning at the moment." That's just how it is. There is a large fan base for the Hurricanes made up of people who have never attended a class on campus....by the way that includes the players themselves :P .

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived