World Baseball Classic Project

JayJaxon

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the USA set. Certainly a unique set, and I like the design a lot. But, there are a couple of critiques...

Seeing as United States is a pretty long word, and it's already pretty scrunched, you might want to try getting rid of the double outline, primarily for legibility's sake.

And I don't really like the tail that protrudes over the top of the U. It looks a little forced, and not so hot.

All in all, though, a really excellent concept. I like the work you've been doing, and can't wait to see Australia. Will they be red, white, and blue (their flag colors) or green and yellow?

scotland_fifasig.png

I really like the USA set. Certainly a unique set, and I like the design a lot. But, there are a couple of critiques...

Seeing as United States is a pretty long word, and it's already pretty scrunched, you might want to try getting rid of the double outline, primarily for legibility's sake.

And I don't really like the tail that protrudes over the top of the U. It looks a little forced, and not so hot.

All in all, though, a really excellent concept. I like the work you've been doing, and can't wait to see Australia. Will they be red, white, and blue (their flag colors) or green and yellow?

With Australia I am going to go with Green and Yellow. I think Im just gonna go with the colors they used in the last WBC. I will apply your suggestions to the USA concept and see what comes of it. I think it will still turn out pretty good, and when I designed these I made it so they can easily be changed, so I should have a different version out soon. Thanks for the input and I appreciate you visiting my thread.

I'm not digging the USA set. First it suffers from the same problem that Philadelphia or San Francisco has if it is spelled out on a jersey, to many letters to be legible. That jersey could not be read on TV at all. Second, um we are not the only United States, not in the world or even in the WBC. That is most likely why national jerseys have USA on them instead of either America or United States. As for the flag it should always be shown going forward never back. Because this is a newer protocol I know it still looks odd to most of us. Just like the 50 star flag looked odd after seeing the 48 star flag for 47 years. I like the direction you are going thought. I just think it is tough to do a USA baseball jersey.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I'm not digging the USA set. First it suffers from the same problem that Philadelphia or San Francisco has if it is spelled out on a jersey, to many letters to be legible. That jersey could not be read on TV at all. Second, um we are not the only United States, not in the world or even in the WBC. That is most likely why national jerseys have USA on them instead of either America or United States. As for the flag it should always be shown going forward never back. Because this is a newer protocol I know it still looks odd to most of us. Just like the 50 star flag looked odd after seeing the 48 star flag for 47 years. I like the direction you are going thought. I just think it is tough to do a USA baseball jersey.

When I first saw the USA jersey, i thought it was cool, but now I think it's below average. When I see the blue, red, and white, I will think of Texas Rangers or the Chicago Cubs or teams with similar ideas. It really doesn't scream USA to me.

Maybe you could try to do something like this for the US team?

4th-of-July-Set.png

I know it says Iowa on it, but having the flag across the jersey might not be a bad idea. At least it'll give you somewhere to start....

IowaOaks.png

I'll go back to the drawing board on team USA and see what I can come up with. I understand that we are not the only United Stated in the World. Maybe it's because I'm an American, but when someone says United States, they are talking about the United States of America. However, I understand where you are coming from, and I do not want to seem like I am stepping on the toes of those from other countries that are also 'united states'.

We can look at these first conepts as a stepping stone for a good WBC set. I'll be going back to take a look at the USA, and at the same time I have some things in mind for Canada. I'm on the fence about changing anything about Mexico's set so far, but we shall see. I am done with Australia, but I want to get a few more comments on the three I have posted before I put it up. Thanks for looking and I hope to hear more.

I'll go back to the drawing board on team USA and see what I can come up with. I understand that we are not the only United Stated in the World. Maybe it's because I'm an American, but when someone says United States, they are talking about the United States of America. However, I understand where you are coming from, and I do not want to seem like I am stepping on the toes of those from other countries that are also 'united states'.

We can look at these first conepts as a stepping stone for a good WBC set. I'll be going back to take a look at the USA, and at the same time I have some things in mind for Canada. I'm on the fence about changing anything about Mexico's set so far, but we shall see. I am done with Australia, but I want to get a few more comments on the three I have posted before I put it up. Thanks for looking and I hope to hear more.

Actually the USA is the only United States in both the world and the WBC. The only other nation in the world that currently uses the term "United States" as part of its name is Mexico; the United Mexican States.

As far as nations that use the term "United States" as it is, the USA stands alone. Add that to the facts that 1) America is commonly known as the "United States" while Mexico's official use of the term isn't nearly as widely known or used and 2) that the USA's Constitution and Presidential inauguration oath reference the "United States," and not the "United States of America."

So really "United States" works just fine for a Team USA concept.

That said, I'm not found of its use, for the first reason gueman pointed out; it's just to long. I would go with a new USA wordmark (not the current WBC one), one that uses a subtle "old west"-like font.

For the hat logo I would go with either a simple white star outlined in red, or a stars 'n stripes shield.

My biggest problem with the USA set is the script...the "United States" font looks more sparkly and princess-y than baseball-y. I think it'd look good if you came up with a smaller USA mark just on the left chest instead of across the whole shirt, or maybe double stack the "United States" words, which would be an odd look but hey, maybe you can make it work...

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Your concerns over the USA jersey set have been heard and I am currently looking to put out a new set based on the advice I have been given.

Now on to Australia.

Before anyone cries 'Oakland Athletics' I just wanted to note that I notice the similar 'A' logo too, but I like this font for the team, and I didn't have much choice on the colors. So I went with what I thought was a good choice. In my opinion, anything is an upgrade over what they put out in 2006. I spiced up the jersey a little so it didn't look too plain. If I continued on the path I was on, I would be in danger of all the jerseys looking a like. Looking forward to your thoughts on Australia.

AustraliaWBC.png

Interesting piping. The wordmark looks off-centered but that could be because of the piping that is making it look that was. I like the idea, but out of the four so far, this would be last. Maybe if you made the jerseys into vests and used the other color (green/white & white/green) as undershirts. I think that idea would eliminate the piping to the shoulder/neck. Good work though.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

I like the Australia set but theres something off about it and I'm not sure what it is. If I find it I'll tell you.

Also I think your template is a little long because a jersey would be tucked in and its kind of a different perspective.

g4104.png

The Mexico set looks a lot like (or at least reminds me of) the uniforms Mexico wore in the LLWS this year.

Little%20League%20World%20Series%20Day%205%20CzxMwyePxFxl.jpg

Also, the American flag is backwards because when you are walking, it would create a little wind and the flag would blow backwards not forwards. If that makes sense...

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

I'm liking the Aussie design, but the wordmark is a little off. I would add the southern cross in somewhere (maybe under the arch or incorporated in with the star that dots the i). I wouldn't bother with the flag on ours either. No one uses the flag.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

The USA set is OK but the font is too long, the way it looks the first and last letters look like they would be under the armpits. I myself am a fan of the current USA logo they use. Maybe a new version of that would look better. I like the wordmark for the Aussies, but the embelishment of the A is pushing the name to far to the right. And finally to the Alphabet man, all of the WBC uniforms have the nations flag on the sleeve. They were the same way during the last tourney also.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

Canada - You gotta use the correct shade of red. When you are dealing with a country (as opposed to a team), it's best to use the correct colors.

The jersey, I'm fine with...

...but the hat logo you chose is an improvement....but it's still "off" a bit. My idea would be a baseball, with the maple leaf "on top" of it..."in the foreground", if you will, so that you can see the outer edges of the baseball, but the leaf dominates the logo.

Mexico - Perfect.

United States - I don't like it at all. First off, I'd like to see the shade of blue found in the flag used, instead of the very dark navy that we use currently, and that you used in your concept.

Spelling out the word "United States" is unnecessary, and it looks cluttered. "America", would be my choice if I was going to go away from the "USA" wordmark.....which I wouldnt. I think an updated "USA" wordmark is in order here.

One thing I do like however, is the numbers on the front, and the font of said numbers.

The hat logo is pretty bad as well. I like what someone else said when they suggested something involving a star or the use of stars on the hat logo. Keep it simple, but make it slick.

Australia - I think you're on the right track, but I would've preferred something with a vest, as someone else mentioned. I like the idea behind the wordmark and hat logos...but, as someone else said, the font does not make me think: Australia.

If I had to rank them so far:

1 - Mexico, by far.

2 - Australia

3 - USA/Canada...not even sniffing the lead lap.

SigReflect.png

Archived