World Baseball Classic Project

JayJaxon

Itravisjr, I appreciate the kind words. I am currently in the process of coming up with something new for the United States. I will try a different font. I'll try just putting USA. I'm going to try just about everything to see what works. Before the end of this project I would love to put something out there that at least most can agree on. Once I feel comfortable with what I have created, I'll be sure to post it for further review.

As far as Australia, I am disappointed that I could not find a way to include the Southern Cross. But with the complexity of the jersey, it may have just crowded it.

As for the gold outline, I'm sure I could remove it and the set would look just fine, but I think the reason it looks different to you is because I made the wordmark look as if it was shining in the light due to the material that would be used to create the letters. For the piping I assumed the same non-reflective material as the jersey would do, so I did not add the same reflective touch. That is why the wordmark appears to be a different color. It's only because it would be made of a different fabric.

Thank you for your interest in the project and again I appreciate your comments.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I present China.

The WBC uniform China had in 2006 was so genetic and I wanted to come up with something clean and updated looking. I'm not sure if those numbers would fly, but I put them on to see what people would think. I have had this set nearly done for a while but I wanted to make sure I was making the right choice with the wordmark. In the end I decided that my first choice was the right one to go with. I look forward to your comments.

ChinaWBC.png

I liked the wordmark from the 2006 Venezuela team, so I wanted to continue that trend while updating it. I included a vest on both, although the undershirt for the dark jersey is the same color. I was thinking of the Colorado Rockies when I did that. I still think it works. Comments are welcome.

VenezuelaWBC.png

again, there is absolutely nothing in these that is indicative of any national identity.

bar the generic eastern fonts on china and korea.

other than that, surely you could just transpose the type and colours for each and

any of them would do for any country.

again, there is absolutely nothing in these that is indicative of any national identity.

other than that, surely you could just transpose the type and colours for each and

Yep. that's what baseball is.

6fQjS3M.png

What fonts would work for Asian team like China, Korea and Japan. Their major league teams are using the same stuff, so that is where I feel stuck when doing them.

I admit that (especially in the case of South Africa) that I could simply change it to 'Italy' and no one would know the difference. But my main goal here is to make these better than what they currently have.

What would you suggest for teams like South Africa, the Netherlands, and Italy? These teams don't have a strong baseball backround, so I do feel stuck when coming up with something new short of changing the jersey pattern and designing a hat logo for each.

Thanks for commenting.

What fonts would work for Asian team like China, Korea and Japan. Their major league teams are using the same stuff, so that is where I feel stuck when doing them.

I admit that (especially in the case of South Africa) that I could simply change it to 'Italy' and no one would know the difference. But my main goal here is to make these better than what they currently have.

What would you suggest for teams like South Africa, the Netherlands, and Italy? These teams don't have a strong baseball backround, so I do feel stuck when coming up with something new short of changing the jersey pattern and designing a hat logo for each.

Thanks for commenting.

I'm with you, jayjackson, I'm not really sure what davidson has in mind. National teams are really hard because they don't usually have a logo or an identity beyond some colors and a flag (and no one wants to base a design around a flag because it is so cliche). It is even harder for baseball because the uniforms are so deeply rooted in tradition. I really like how the China jersey turned out, the wordmark and numbers look great. That is also one of the ones you've done which is a little more 'out-there', which makes me think that may be the direction to go. Try and push the envelope a bit with the jersey design and take some risks, if you get bad feedback you can always simplify it down. It also might be helpful to attempt a 'national baseball logo' for each country and use that to inform your design.

Its hard for me to give concrete suggestions because baseball just isn't my sport and you are churning out some great looking jerseys, but if you want to come up with something more original and unique you might need to change the process you follow when developing the concept. Hope this helps and keep up the good work!

StuckeyDuck, I appreciate the kind words. I think davidson sees a trend here and he is trying to warn me of it before they all get too generic. Baseball is difficult that way. I am changing as much as I can from team to team, but some elements are just gonna have to stay the same no matter how you slice it. Thanks for your suggestions.

I would use traditional Chinese characters for China, Korean for Korea, etc....

I know that in actuality these teams have to use the English translations and symbols for their uniforms, but considering this is a concept series, I think it would be a great opportunity to expand into Asian symbols for uniforms where appropriate.

I would use traditional Chinese characters for China, Korean for Korea, etc....

I know that in actuality these teams have to use the English translations and symbols for their uniforms, but considering this is a concept series, I think it would be a great opportunity to expand into Asian symbols for uniforms where appropriate.

I had thought about designing the uniforms with the native characters for those countries, then beside it include the English equivalent. I decided not to go in that direction. But you have a point. This is only a concept, and I think people would be interested in seeing what it would look like. I'm in ;)

Archived