2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

It sure sounded louder than a 50/50 split though. That would imply that at any given time, there were around 20k people cheering for each team. It sounded like 40k+ cheering for each team. Of course, that could just be due to mic placement or other factors... or those dammed thunderstix.

All the cheering for The Yankees when they're on the road is interesting to me. I have a theory that might explain it. Either living in New York really sucks so a lot of New Yorkers move to other American League cities or there are a whole lot of frontrunners out there. (This theory could apply to Boston Red Sox fans as well.) Just a thought.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees are a NATIONAL team, with a large fan base like the Dallas Cowboys.

They have just as many people who hate them, but when you win as often as they have, and been to the playoffs as often as they have they get that big following.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They have just as many people who hate them, but when you win as often as they have, and been to the playoffs as often as they have they get that big following.

I don't buy that. 'Fans' didn't start filling that stadium until they started winning again. Plus the sheer volume of front-runners that know nothing about their 'favorite' team leads me to believe that the real Yankee fans live in New York, plain and simple. Just look at the Red Sox as an example as the most recent outburst of fake fans. Nobody liked them when they were bad, now everyone is either a Red Sox or Yankees fan. You wanna know which team has REAL fans? Cubs fans. It helps that they are on WGN, just like the Braves had TBS all those years.

The Cowboys are a 'National' team because they have always been put on prime time. That was not the case for the Yankees in the 80's and early 90's. Now I can't watch ESPN without hearing about them or the Red Sox, and when those two are playing, forget about watching another team play unless you have stations like Peachtree in Georgia.

I was half kidding Francis.

BB52Big.jpg

But the thing is this the Yankees were winning with Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle so they have had a Nationwide following for many years, and those roots are deep so Yankee fans are always in every nook and crannie in the world.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

But the thing is this the Yankees were winning with Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle so they have had a Nationwide following for many years, and those roots are deep so Yankee fans are always in every nook and crannie in the world.

I know. You make a great point.

BB52Big.jpg

I know. You make a great point.

Where were they in the late '80s / early '90s?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, Mantle and DiMaggio were quite busy boozing and chasing :censored:, but Ruth was still dead.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I was an Andy Hawkins fan myself... just because at the time, he was the only Andy in MLB that I knew of.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well again the Yankees are like the Cowboys, have you seen many Cowboy fans lately.

Remember the 1990's when they had the triplets it seemed almost everyone was a Cowboy fan.

Now on the same coin, the Yankees are the most hated team for the same reason.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Deion Sanders

Steve Sax

Jim Leyritz

Jesse Barfield

Randy Velarde

Kevin Maas

Bob Geren

Alvaro Espinoza

Lee Guetterman

Eric Plunk

Greg Cadaret

Dave Eiland

ah those were the days... ^_^

Don't forget the fun that was:

Mel Hall

Steve Kemp

Steve Balboni

Ken Phelps

Ed Whitson

Steve Trout (couldn't throw a strike but could hit the guy in the second row of the second deck with a wild pitch)

Those were the days.

EDIT: Couldn't forget Luis Polonia...

All the cheering for The Yankees when they're on the road is interesting to me. I have a theory that might explain it. Either living in New York really sucks so a lot of New Yorkers move to other American League cities or there are a whole lot of frontrunners out there. (This theory could apply to Boston Red Sox fans as well.) Just a thought.

Living in New York didn't suck (except when it snowed then it really did suck) but some of us needed a change of scenery or left for better opportunities elsewhere. There are a lot of front running bandwagonners too. It's always fun for me to go to an A's Yankees game in Oakland wearing my Yankees gear then start getting on the Yankee players. The bandwaggoners don't know what to think but the real New Yorkers chime right in.

Deion Sanders

Steve Sax

Jim Leyritz

Jesse Barfield

Randy Velarde

Kevin Maas

Bob Geren

Alvaro Espinoza

Lee Guetterman

Eric Plunk

Greg Cadaret

Dave Eiland

Mel Hall

Steve Kemp

Steve Balboni

Ken Phelps

Ed Whitson

Steve Trout (couldn't throw a strike but could hit the guy in the second row of the second deck with a wild pitch)

Those were the days.

Howie Spira

Deion Sanders

Steve Sax

Jim Leyritz

Jesse Barfield

Randy Velarde

Kevin Maas

Bob Geren

Alvaro Espinoza

Lee Guetterman

Eric Plunk

Greg Cadaret

Dave Eiland

Mel Hall

Steve Kemp

Steve Balboni

Ken Phelps

Ed Whitson

Those were the days.

Howie Spira

Dont forget my personal favorites

Bam Bam Muelens

Oscar Azocar

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Steve Phillips almost got fired while he was the Mets GM for sexual harrasment from a woman he had an affair with.

I am surprised that you didn't give us this.

His 1998 Mistress...in 2009

Since this broke, I talked to two different, female LPC's who both knew about the story and said that in their combined 40+ years of counseling couples who are dealing with male infidelity, whenever it's a decent looking guy with a non-attractive female, it's almost always based on him receiving o#*l sex.

(Mods: Edit if you must).

Andy Van Slyke?

Andy Benes?

Don't forget Andy Ashby.

Andy Hawkins was around before Benes and Ashby, as I was a "fan" of his when he was on the Padres (or Paders, as I pronounced their name when all I had was baseball cards to go by, and never actually heard the team's name pronounced on TV until I saw them on pre-Fox 29 against the Phillies (yes, IIRC, the Phillies flagship at that time was 29.))

I never heard of Andy Benes until he was on Seattle.

I loved Andy Ashby when he came up with the Phillies, and was bummed when he went to SD (don't even remember him on Colorado). I loved that they brought him back, until I realized that he sucked and hated pitching in Philadelphia. Then I just wished he'd die, or at least get in a crippling accident.

I never counted Andy Van Slyke, probably because I never looked at "Andy" as being his first name, just a component to a three-part single name. I know, it's ridiculous. Loved him when he was a Phil, but not for his name.

Archived