2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until tonights game, the answer to infrared41's question could of been CC Sabathia.

But, Lee was awesome that night.

Sure is a good thing The Indians trade those losers.

My apologies for being oblivious.

It sucks being a Cleveland sports fan.

Pretty much.

BB52Big.jpg

Fox showed a graphic on Wednesday night, that depicted Lee and Sabathia in their Cleveland caps and showed some of their stats. I think it was Joe Buck who said "at least Cleveland still has Lebron James, but only until 2011, as the clock is ticking on that one" (or something like that - don't remember the exact words.) I just remember thinking "damn, Joe - that was cold."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So far, so good. Although that was a questionable double-play call to end the inning. Also, I believe that meets my quota for controversial calls at two.

Edit: Guess the blown calls at first go both ways.

I really don't think that double play call was too controversial. Tim McCarver was acting like the replay was clear as day, but I've seen it a bunch of times and still can't tell for sure. It was a close call and I can't blame the ump for calling it either way. There have been a lot worse blown calls in the playoffs in the past.

The Utley DP in the 8th inning was very close, he beat it by an eye lash and you cant fault the ump on that one, the one with Howard though on the one hop thats a little less excusable.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So far, so good. Although that was a questionable double-play call to end the inning. Also, I believe that meets my quota for controversial calls at two.

Edit: Guess the blown calls at first go both ways.

I really don't think that double play call was too controversial. Tim McCarver was acting like the replay was clear as day, but I've seen it a bunch of times and still can't tell for sure. It was a close call and I can't blame the ump for calling it either way. There have been a lot worse blown calls in the playoffs in the past.

True. It wasn't as controversial as it was made out to be, however, it is interesting to note that the slightest "missed" calls are noticeable by everyone watching the game and I wonder how much scrutiny these umpiring crew faces during each inning and game.

Man, Brad Lidge SUCKS.

I (along with the rest of the nation) KNEW that guy would eventually :censored: up in the postseason.

It was only a matter of time...it just happened to come during a pivotal point in a pivotal game in the World Series.

That said, you also knew that it was a matter of time before A-Rod would finally get off the mark, and boy did he ever. That may have very well won the Yankees yet another championship.

Man, Brad Lidge SUCKS.

I (along with the rest of the nation) KNEW that guy would eventually :censored: up in the postseason.

Congrats on the 3-1 stranglelock, New York!

So much for my theory that The Phillies had their mojo working. Thanks for playing Philadelphia. We have some lovely parting gifts. :censored:. Another Yankees World Series Championship. Well I'm sure we can expect their fans to be the perfect example of winning with class.

BB52Big.jpg

At first I thought Johnny Damon was an absolute bonehead for trying to take third after the steal of second in the 9th inning. When he took off I was wondering what he was doing. Then I realized the third baseman was covering second and there was no one at third due to the shift. Had to be one of the more heads up plays I've seen in a long time.

All post season the Yankees have capitalized on things like that.

YEAH BABY! 1 more win and the Rings are ours!

The rings are theirs. You will likely not be receiving one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My thoughts:

- Intentionally hitting A-Rod again in the 1st only to see him hit the winning RBI with 2 out in the 9th was priceless. I'm not a Yankees fan, but the Phillies deserved that.

- Prolonging the AB after falling behind on the count, getting a hit on a pitchers mistake, the head-up double steal & being the winning run... Johnny Damon is doing what people expected from Jimmy Rollins.

- By the way, Phillies fans, half the stadium walking out before the final pitch was FAR more embarrasing than anything Brad Lidge did yesterday.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Man, Brad Lidge SUCKS.

That may have to do with the fact that he hadn't pitched in 10 days. That's why I hate the closer role that has been assigned. The Phillies haven't needed him for 10 days, so he's cold when they actually do need him. I'd really like to see some manager's switch to the fireman role, that I've heard from alot of people.

With that said, he did pitch very good up through Johnny Damon. You've got to give Damon alot of crediting for fighting through the at bat and then taking 3rd base. I think it really got into Lidge's head.

Archived