2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is the white haired guy on ESPN's Baseball Tonight?

Because I want to know who to properly award the "most insane and idiotic rant I have heard in the fortnight" banner to after his gem about today's Twins-Red Sox doubleheader.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because I want to know who to properly award the "most insane and idiotic rant I have heard in the fortnight" banner to after his gem about today's Twins-Red Sox doubleheader.

Steve Phillips? Ooh, what was this rant?

And are you sure you don't mean Web Gem? ;)

Steve Phillips? Ooh, what was this rant?

And are you sure you don't mean Web Gem? ;)

The crux of the rant was, "it is unfair to call game 1 of a doubleheader early due to weather, even in a blowout, and then turn around and play game 2 later in the day." Evidently this violates the "sanctity of the schedule". The fact that games are shortened all the time due to weather, or called and possibly not even made up is apparently irrelevant to this discussion.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If you liked that rant you should have seen the one he gave when he claimed he loved watching Mets fans wallow in misery, which would not be so bad if he was not a former Mets General Manager.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I agree with that, actually. If Game 1 gets called due to weather at, say 4pm, but the weather is supposed to clear up by 7pm, the first game should be played to it's conclusion, and the home team has to bite the financial bullet and play an old-fashioned doubleheader. It is pretty unfair that a game gets called due to weather, only to turn around and play a second game later that calendar date, no matter what the score is.

In my opinion, MLB's gotta institute a rule, proclaiming that each game be played to a 9-inning conclusion.

I dunno...maybe it's just from being in a minor league town, where the philosophy vis a vis doubleheaders and weather consists of "if it comes down to it, call it and if it clears up let's see Game 2". Mainly because in the greater scheme of things one or two lost innings doesn't hurt anyone. Especially since there are fewer off days to make up games anyway.

There's also something to be said for wanting to get the games done at a relatively decent time as well. Playing out those two innings will push first pitch of game two back at least an hour. If Game 2 goes long, and/or is rain delayed, we could be talking about sending folks home well after midnight. Minnesota wasn't going to come back and win the game, why not call it? Ultimately it's only the wins and losses that matter; it's more important to get all your games in than all your innings in.

Today, we are all otaku.

I didn't see the rant, but I agree with Phillips. Calling a game early should be a last resort. I understand that it happens sometimes, but this situation is silly. Would it have been possible for the second game of the double header to be postponed to a later date? If so, why wasn't that an option?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I dunno...maybe it's just from being in a minor league town, where the philosophy vis a vis doubleheaders and weather consists of "if it comes down to it, call it and if it clears up let's see Game 2". Mainly because in the greater scheme of things one or two lost innings doesn't hurt anyone. Especially since there are fewer off days to make up games anyway.

There's also something to be said for wanting to get the games done at a relatively decent time as well. Playing out those two innings will push first pitch of game two back at least an hour. If Game 2 goes long, and/or is rain delayed, we could be talking about sending folks home well after midnight. Minnesota wasn't going to come back and win the game, why not call it? Ultimately it's only the wins and losses that matter; it's more important to get all your games in than all your innings in.

There have been 10+ run comebacks in the 9th inning in MLB games before, and it's certainly possible in this day of baseball. The Indians just put up 14 runs in one inning this past weekend....who's to say Minnesota wasn't capable of doing the same thing?

If that were the only game, I'd have no problem calling the game due to weather. But since it was a doubleheader, it's only right that the first game gets played to it's conclusion. Otherwise, you're basically making it a faux "mercy rule" game. If that second games is still being played after midnight, so be it.....that happens rather routinely in regular rain-delayed games.

There have been 10+ run comebacks in the 9th inning in MLB games before, and it's certainly possible in this day of baseball. The Indians just put up 14 runs in one inning this past weekend....who's to say Minnesota wasn't capable of doing the same thing?

If that were the only game, I'd have no problem calling the game due to weather. But since it was a doubleheader, it's only right that the first game gets played to it's conclusion. Otherwise, you're basically making it a faux "mercy rule" game. If that second games is still being played after midnight, so be it.....that happens rather routinely in regular rain-delayed games.

The Twins' manger for one. :blink:

It bears consideration that they were definitely concerned about fitting the second game in, so I wonder if they felt they wouldn't get it in if they did play 9 innings in the first game.

And props to ESPN for jinxing the no hitter. :rolleyes:

Today, we are all otaku.

It's 15 games into the season, and the Angels have their 7th different starter so far. That equals the number of starters used last season for the Halos.

...May can't come soon enough, assuming Lackey, Moseley and Santana return by then. Escobar's slated for June.

I just looked at the standings....despite being 7-8, the Braves are 2nd in the NL East.

Some questions to consider:

Bad start for the Phils and Mets? Can the Fish keep that .700+ winning percentage? Will the Nats not finish 5th - again?

Archived