2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

The weekend could prove very valuable for the Atlanta Braves. They get the Nats while New York and Philly beat up on each other. If Atlanta can sweet this series too, then they are gonna jump someone.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, no mention of the bee delay between San Diego and Houston?

Did anyone notice how that jacket was a Braves one?

I hope the Rays can take the series from Texas...

Oh, and Boston fans are the worst.

no, yoo r, dipshyte!!!1!!!11131231 (bow)

And why do you think that raysox? It must be because we fill up your stadium because you guys are too pathetic to fill up your own. You should love us for that--bringing in extra revenue for the Rays.

And why do you think that raysox? It must be because we fill up your stadium because you guys are too pathetic to fill up your own. You should love us for that--bringing in extra revenue for the Rays.

I'll say statements like that are the reason.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

No, because the 2 games last year I went to vs Boston, the Sox fans we're annoying the whole time. They drunk like fishes, and wouldn't shut up. Oh, and we won both games, one being game 7.

Was that sarcasm? With you I can't tell.

/Oro....you're a Chelsea fan now? Only root for winners I take it. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I hope the Rays can take the series from Texas...

Oh, and Boston fans are the worst.

It looked like a Padres jacket to me. It belonged to the Padres ball girl, so it would be very odd if it were a Braves jacket, they weren't even playing.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

It looked like a Padres jacket to me. It belonged to the Padres ball girl, so it would be very odd if it were a Braves jacket, they weren't even playing.

Ah, you were right. I saw the red, and es and thought Braves.

Albert Pujols hits another Grand Slam tonight. This one temporarily put them on top 4-3 in the 8th. The Reds would tie it in the bottom half, but the Cards added 3 more in the top of the 9th (the 7th run being driven in by Albert also) and held on to win.

El Hombre is now 6/7 with the bases loaded this season. He has 4 Grand Slams, and 2 singles for 20 RBI. His one out was a deep fly to the track in left field, but it came with two outs so there was no sac-fly.

The man is incredible.

In addition to that, with that Home Run, he now has 31 on the year. Today was the 82nd game for the Cardinals, so he's not quite but nearly on pace for 62 HRs.

How would people react to that if it were to happen?

For me it wouldn't change anything, the records are what they are whether the players who hold them took steroids or not. You can't take the numbers away.

But regardless, it'd be quite a feat.

Players like Albert are once-in-a-generational talents. Who cares if he gets 60 home runs? He is far, far and away the best player in the game today and probably of the last 20 years or so (besides Bonds). Words simply cannot describe the talent he has with a bat in his hand. And, even though this is an off year with the glove, he is a Gold Glove-caliber fielder. (first baseman, but still) I hope he plays forever. I really do.

Most of Albert's defensive problems came in the first month (from memory anyways), he's actually rebounded in that regard very nicely.

Not that that was in any way what you were focusing on, just saying.

I'll also note this:

National League

AVG

1. Hanley Ramirez - .344 (2nd in MLB)

2. Albert Pujols - .336 (3rd in MLB)

2. Carlos Beltran - .336 (3rd in MLB)

HR

1. Albert Pujols - 31 HR (1st in MLB)

2. Adrian Gonzalez - 24 HR (2nd in MLB)

RBI

1. Albert Pujols - 82 RBI (1st in MLB)

2. Prince Fielder - 75 RBI (2nd in MLB)

So, Albert's in 2nd, 1st and 1st for the NL Triple Crown (and if Ichiro comes crashing down, he could make a run at the entire big leagues). He's cruising in HRs, and he's got a nice advantage in RBI. His average, at just .008 back is right at his career average (actually .335), so it's like he's going to come crashing down, and if he jolts forward in that at all...

Just by the nature of the achievement it's an unlikely thing, but I just want to make people aware of what they could be potentially seeing...

I think Pujols is the only current player with a shot at the Triple Crown. Hanley Ramirez is a great player, and will be a great player for years to come, but he can't match Pujols. Fielder will always be a force when it comes to RBI and Homers but not Average. I like Adrian Gonzalez but he is having a freak year at the plate. Ichiro will always be among the league leaders in average but he doesn't have the power to be a contender in homers. Pujols really is the total package when it comes to batting.

When I was watching the Cardinals highlights earlier, I said just walk him. You're up 3 with 2 outs in the 8th. Walk him, it's 3-1 and get the out, out of the inning with a lead.

Albert Pujols is amazingly frightening.

I thank God that he is in the National League.

He is flat-out scary

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

When I was watching the Cardinals highlights earlier, I said just walk him. You're up 3 with 2 outs in the 8th. Walk him, it's 3-1 and get the out, out of the inning with a lead.

Albert Pujols is amazingly frightening.

I thank God that he is in the National League.

He is flat-out scary

Remembering this thread's discusssion on Pujols with the bases loaded, I was watching and said to my girlfriend "come on Dusty, just walk him" she replied with "but if they walk then they'll score a run", I said, "better than 4 runs" and the next pitch went out of the yard.

They've been one of the best bullpens all year, but last night they ruined a great outing by Homer Bailey, a pitcher who looks like he's starting to come into his own. His ego is already fragile with all these call-ups and send downs and then the rest of the team blows his lead. It's frustrating.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Albert Pujols hits another Grand Slam tonight. This one temporarily put them on top 4-3 in the 8th. The Reds would tie it in the bottom half, but the Cards added 3 more in the top of the 9th (the 7th run being driven in by Albert also) and held on to win.

El Hombre is now 6/7 with the bases loaded this season. He has 4 Grand Slams, and 2 singles for 20 RBI. His one out was a deep fly to the track in left field, but it came with two outs so there was no sac-fly.

The man is incredible.

In addition to that, with that Home Run, he now has 31 on the year. Today was the 82nd game for the Cardinals, so he's not quite but nearly on pace for 62 HRs.

How would people react to that if it were to happen?

For me it wouldn't change anything, the records are what they are whether the players who hold them took steroids or not. You can't take the numbers away.

But regardless, it'd be quite a feat.

I asked the exact same question when Ryan Howard was on pace for 63 late in the 2006 season (finished with 58). I asked if he'd be considered the "Natural Home Run King". IIRC, most people (including you) felt that while certainly a nice accomplishment, wouldn't be looked at any more favorably than McGwire's, Sosa's, and Bonds' marks.

EDIT:

Here's the thread:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...atural+Home+Run

EDIT2:

Just went back and re-read that thread. It's actually pretty entertaining.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For the Braves fans out there, Buster Olney is talking about potential trade partners for Atlanta in the coming weeks. It looks like the Braves are willing to part with Escobar and Javier Vazquez to get some more offense.

Story

Archived