2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

According to the Atlanta Braves official website, the story that broke in the ajc about Griffey picking Atlanta is false and he will have a decision by late today or early tomorrow.

Story

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wouldn't be shocked if he went to the Mariners after the leaked "news".

This is present-day Ken Griffey Jr. we're talkin about here -- the same guy who batted 7th for the ChiSox last season.

Wherever he goes, he's not going to help. He may put a few more butts in the seats if he goes to Seattle, but that's about all.

The Braves had the lowest offensive production in the league out of the left field position. I'll take my chances will a Hall of Famer who still hit decent last year.

EXACTAMUNDO. Plus, like ITE said, he'd basically be the bridge to Jason Heyward, who, along with P Tommy Hanson, will be the future faces of the Atlanta Braves. Plus, at $2 million, unless he gets hit by a truck or something, there's no way this is bad...

And I've been monitoring the situation on the AJC's Braves blog...I would be shocked as hell if Griffey didn't come here. Griffey is not going to pull a Furcal on us.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the Atlanta Braves official website, the story that broke in the ajc about Griffey picking Atlanta is false and he will have a decision by late today or early tomorrow.

Story

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wouldn't be shocked if he went to the Mariners after the leaked "news".

This is present-day Ken Griffey Jr. we're talkin about here -- the same guy who batted 7th for the ChiSox last season.

Wherever he goes, he's not going to help. He may put a few more butts in the seats if he goes to Seattle, but that's about all.

The Braves had the lowest offensive production in the league out of the left field position. I'll take my chances will a Hall of Famer who still hit decent last year.

EXACTAMUNDO. Plus, like ITE said, he'd basically be the bridge to Jason Heyward, who, along with P Tommy Hanson, will be the future faces of the Atlanta Braves. Plus, at $2 million, unless he gets hit by a truck or something, there's no way this is bad...

And I've been monitoring the situation on the AJC's Braves blog...I would be shocked as hell if Griffey didn't come here. Griffey is not going to pull a Furcal on us.

I'm on the AJC blog too. You ever look at the 'Braves Vent'? Can you believe some of the stuff that people say on there? haha

Griffey will ONLY be semi-useful if he plays DH and doesn't get paid much, anything else is just an awful deal. Okay, he won't play every day but the fact remains that whenever he hits he has to play left field. And that just implodes the scale. There is some value in fan excitement and merchandise sales (as evidenced here), but I think you have to be smart if you're Schuerholz. Don't do it, man.

Griffey will ONLY be semi-useful if he plays DH and doesn't get paid much, anything else is just an awful deal. Okay, he won't play every day but the fact remains that whenever he hits he has to play left field. And that just implodes the scale. There is some value in fan excitement and merchandise sales (as evidenced here), but I think you have to be smart if you're Schuerholz. Don't do it, man.

Schuerholz hasn't been making the personnel decisions for a couple years now.

Who cares about that Sabermetrics :censored:? Baseball fans know what Griffey's capable of doing at this stage of his career. He's not going to command too much money, nor is he going to be here long. He's a veteran who knows how to prepare himself, and if the Braves are in postseason contention, a dependable commodity. And if he's having a solid season and the Braves aren't, he'll be trade-bait for a contending team and the Braves can continue with their youth movement. If Griffey gets hurt, it gives more playing time for the young guys.

Griffey coming here is only a positive.....

Who cares about that Sabermetrics :censored:? Baseball fans know what Griffey's capable of doing at this stage of his career. He's not going to command too much money, nor is he going to be here long. He's a veteran who knows how to prepare himself, and if the Braves are in postseason contention, a dependable commodity. And if he's having a solid season and the Braves aren't, he'll be trade-bait for a contending team and the Braves can continue with their youth movement. If Griffey gets hurt, it gives more playing time for the young guys.

You don't need Sabermetrics to know the guy flat out isn't very good anymore. Anybody who watched him play saw this.

I think trying to trade for Xavier Nady is a better option, personally.

IUe6Hvh.png

You don't need Sabermetrics to know the guy flat out isn't very good anymore. Anybody who watched him play saw this.

The Braves & Yanks already tried that. Yanks were asking for too much.

The Braves & Yanks already tried that. Yanks were asking for too much.

What were they asking for?

IUe6Hvh.png

The A's have announced they are putting their Fremont stadium plans on hold. Color me so surprised. :D

When do they estimate they will move into the stadium? I've seen blueprints and computer images and the stadium looks amazing.

Do you have a link to the images? I haven't seen it yet.

The A's have announced they are putting their Fremont stadium plans on hold. Color me so surprised. :D

When do they estimate they will move into the stadium? I've seen blueprints and computer images and the stadium looks amazing.

Do you have a link to the images? I haven't seen it yet.

Cisco Field

As a Met fan, I've been saying this all winter and I'll say it again

There's def. gonna be a brawl between the Mets and Phillies sometime this year

I agree.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I thought it was pretty crappy. The "neighborhood/ballpark village" backdrop was a contrivance. A video on youtube, "Ghost Ride the Whip for the Oakland A's," I believe it was, called Fremont "basically a parking lot with a mayor." Also, the location was nearly impossible to reach via public transit, requiring a series of trains, shuttle buses, and pedestrian bridges to get to the park. ALSO, it was only designed to hold 34,000 people, which is unwise considering that you'd like to think one day you'll be able to draw 40,000 to an A's game. What happens if things change in 15, 20 years and the A's become the hottest ticket in Bay Area sports? Will they have to build a new downtown ballpark with more seating? The whole thing never impressed me.

I understand the Oakland Coliseum has its faults. The luxury boxes are surely insufficient, the concession stands are probably mediocre (though needing to offer more than ballpark fare never struck me as particularly important...go out to dinner somewhere, guys), Mount Davis is an eyesore, the first few rows of seats don't face home plate (though this does give the A's a competitive advantage as their infielders can devour foul pop flies in that huge space), the Raiders tear the field up, so on, so forth. It's still a decent place to see or play baseball, though. And almost from the outset, I could tell Cisco Field was never gonna work.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Au contraire, my friend. Many people care. And is it really all :censored:? (and by the way, I mentioned it earlier yes, but nowhere in the quote you quoted did I mention anything regarding sabermetrics. anyway...)

You don't even need it to see what he can do. I am a baseball fan, and what I know is that Griffey is barely capable of being a league average hitter. I saw with my own eyes that those beautiful swings which used to soar out of the park are now dinky, strained fly balls. I saw him play defense, and there it is most painfully obvious that the man cannot get to routine fly balls and line drives that cost his team real runs. If you want me to put it in Anti-sabermetric terms, last year he hit just .245 as an Outfielder and .294 as a DH. Oh, and .000 as a Pinch hitter. And in his career Griffey has hit just .245 in 98 career ABs at Turner Field(and .241 at CBP, and .245 at Dolphin Stadium). Sure I'm using relatively small sample sizes and only referring to his batting average, but to do otherwise would be Sabermetrical, no? And as we all know that is bull :censored:. Plus, it would only advance my point!

More? His fielding percentage was .970 last year, and that of course doesn't include the balls I saw with my own eyes go past him without ever being touched. Or the times he gets injured running or diving in the field.

But I forgot that he knows how to prepare himself. Any baseball fan knows that. What a dependable commodity, with all that his endless veteran intangibles bring to the table. That changes absolutely everything.

Sorry, you can have him. I prefer talent.

ESPN is reporting that Griffey is going back to Seattle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived