Sports Identity Showdown Voting (High Heat Division)

ShinyHubCaps

1. Amarillo

2. Scottsdale

3. Mesquite

33hooligan, your honesty and forthrightness have inspired me to make a very critical decision.

Initially, I had thought about not counting any votes within the division. (That is, yours, elliott's, and others would not be counted because you are also participants.) However, I have decided to change my mind and say that you cannot give yourself a first-place vote, but otherwise, all votes from within the division can count.

I was worried people would be tilting the votes to favor their own concepts, but I can see that is not necessarily the case. So if you are a contestant in a division, you can vote as long as you don't give 3 points to yourself. If you do that, your other two votes would be voided.

That is my amended decision. I don't believe I was clear on how that would be scored to begin.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Amarillo

2. Scottsdale

3. Mesquite

33hooligan, your honesty and forthrightness have inspired me to make a very critical decision.

Initially, I had thought about not counting any votes within the division. (That is, yours, elliott's, and others would not be counted because you are also participants.) However, I have decided to change my mind and say that you cannot give yourself a first-place vote, but otherwise, all votes from within the division can count.

I was worried people would be tilting the votes to favor their own concepts, but I can see that is not necessarily the case. So if you are a contestant in a division, you can vote as long as you don't give 3 points to yourself. If you do that, none of your votes will count.

That is my amended decision. I don't believe I was clear on how that would be scored to begin.

I have noticed a few sub-100 and even sub-10 post members voting. I am wondering if you are allowing that now?

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

1. Amarillo

2. Scottsdale

3. Mesquite

I was worried people would be tilting the votes to favor their own concepts, but I can see that is not necessarily the case. So if you are a contestant in a division, you can vote as long as you don't give 3 points to yourself. If you do that, your other two votes would be voided.

It's not that I didn't want to vote for myself. I was under the impression that we couldn't vote for ourselves in our division but, could still vote on others. :D

I have noticed a few sub-100 and even sub-10 post members voting. I am wondering if you are allowing that now?

I have a compensating system that I suppose I can explain here.

The contest began on December 8, 2008. If someone had 50 posts prior to that date, then their votes will be counted in full, even if they are still below 100.

I noticed one voter registered in 2005, then had not posted again until after December 8, and is still only at 8 posts... unfortunately, I cannot count theirs at all in suspicion that it may be a dummy account from a previous contest.

So the system goes like this:

>100 posts or exactly 100 posts = votes count fully

<100 posts but 50 or more as of December 8, 2008 = votes count fully

<50 = votes will be voided

My apologies to those members, but it was outlined in the rules, and the line needs to be drawn somewhere to prevent cheating. I've tried to be a little tough but still reasonably lenient, and this is the stance I will take on voters who do not adhere to the rules.

It's not that I didn't want to vote for myself. I was under the impression that we couldn't vote for ourselves in our division but, could still vote on others. :D

Well obviously I would want to count your vote if you're legitimately picking your favorites other than yourself. If I felt a contestant was tipping the scales, then I might have to take action against it.

1. Amarillo

2. Scottsdale

3. Mesquite

why would you change these rules half way through?

it made perfect sense to me that you just dont get to vote in your own division.

and now there is a rule that you can give yourself second place but not first?!

this is all pretty arbitrary.

youve doe a great job of organising this until now, but changing the rules in the middle

of voting due to your becoming 'inspired' seems a touch flakey. can we please have some rules

that we all stick to?

1 - HONU - Hanauma Bay

2 - El Paso Reyes

3- Orange RounDabouts

@#!%$^!!!!

Narrowing everything down to ONLY 3 is painful...

I almost cried cutting the last 3 of my top-5...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

it made perfect sense to me that you just dont get to vote in your own division.

youve doe a great job of organising this until now, but changing the rules in the middle

of voting due to your becoming 'inspired' seems a touch flakey. can we please have some rules

that we all stick to?

Along with the extended deadline previously, I am very pleased to see you adhere to the rules. However, realistically, not everyone does, and this is too much just for fun to make the rules swift and decisive.

I know previously I mentioned that no one could vote from within their own division. But while I know that mentioned it, I did so in passing, and it was not on the front page of the main thread with the other rules or in this thread. Here I only stated that anyone with more than 100 posts could vote, but I made no mention in the open of this thread or the others as to whether or not contestants could vote.

So now contestants are coming out and voting, I just figured it would be better to cover myself here than tally the whole thing without their votes and have them question me at the end as to why their votes were not counted. If you understood my intentions going into the contest, that's great. However, since very few others did, I can only assume that I didn't make myself totally clear.

As for people assigning themselves votes, I have only seen two people do so, and they were only 1-pointers. I feel that if everyone votes honestly, I don't have to worry about people tipping the scales. If a contestant gave himself a 1st place vote, I would be suspicious. As for 2nd place votes, well, it hasn't happened yet, but I will have to assume that the person voting for his own concept does so in good faith.

EDIT: I have discovered one case of someone giving himself a 2nd place vote, but it isn't enough to make a big deal about it. I stand by my good faith premise.

So thank you for your concern and keeping me in check, but to be quite honest, I was not so clear with the rules in this one point of the contest. I apologize if this was not clear, but apparently it was not, so I'd rather set the record straight while people still have time to amend their votes.

I vote for a consolation round with all 3 divisions lumped together and we pick a "best of the rest". It seems like a lot of great concepts might get left out from the final voting. Just an idea...

Oh, and coincidentally this is my 100th post! Here are my votes:

1. Amarillo (Awesome logo, name, jerseys, presentation, the whole shebang!)

2. Scottsdale (Same as above. Jerseys are wild and I like that. Great logo and wordmark as well.)

3. The Honu (Very creative, and I love the sea turtle logo. Not a huge fan of the wordmark on the jerseys, but overall the concept rocks.)

Honorable mention to myself as well, I think the Beverly Hills Blue Bulls are going to be a victim of an unfortunate draw. For my first contest however, I'm proud of my work. Good luck all.

I vote for a consolation round with all 3 divisions lumped together and we pick a "best of the rest". It seems like a lot of great concepts might get left out from the final voting. Just an idea...

Oh, and coincidentally this is my 100th post! Here are my votes:

1. Amarillo (Awesome logo, name, jerseys, presentation, the whole shebang!)

2. Scottsdale (Same as above. Jerseys are wild and I like that. Great logo and wordmark as well.)

3. The Honu (Very creative, and I love the sea turtle logo. Not a huge fan of the wordmark on the jerseys, but overall the concept rocks.)

Honorable mention to myself as well, I think the Beverly Hills Blue Bulls are going to be a victim of an unfortunate draw. For my first contest however, I'm proud of my work. Good luck all.

I agree because there are a lot of good ones that aren't going to make it...

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

that we all stick to?

Along with the extended deadline previously, I am very pleased to see you adhere to the rules. However, realistically, not everyone does, and this is too much just for fun to make the rules swift and decisive.

I know previously I mentioned that no one could vote from within their own division. But while I know that mentioned it, I did so in passing, and it was not on the front page of the main thread with the other rules or in this thread. Here I only stated that anyone with more than 100 posts could vote, but I made no mention in the open of this thread or the others as to whether or not contestants could vote.

So now contestants are coming out and voting, I just figured it would be better to cover myself here than tally the whole thing without their votes and have them question me at the end as to why their votes were not counted. If you understood my intentions going into the contest, that's great. However, since very few others did, I can only assume that I didn't make myself totally clear.

As for people assigning themselves votes, I have only seen two people do so, and they were only 1-pointers. I feel that if everyone votes honestly, I don't have to worry about people tipping the scales. If a contestant gave himself a 1st place vote, I would be suspicious. As for 2nd place votes, well, it hasn't happened yet, but I will have to assume that the person voting for his own concept does so in good faith.

EDIT: I have discovered one case of someone giving himself a 2nd place vote, but it isn't enough to make a big deal about it. I stand by my good faith premise.

So thank you for your concern and keeping me in check, but to be quite honest, I was not so clear with the rules in this one point of the contest. I apologize if this was not clear, but apparently it was not, so I'd rather set the record straight while people still have time to amend their votes.

I actually didn't read the part about not voting for oneself, so I apologize for my lack of observation skills. I felt it was impolite to vote for myself for 1 but I didn't think it was in bad taste to vote for 3. So I apologize once again, and if you feel it is necessary to take away 1 point from my concept's total, I am totally fine with that.

So are only 3 concepts going on to the next round? If that it is so, I like StuckeyDuck's idea. Oh, and StuckeyDuck, you have a pretty solid concept, just obviously you were put in the toughest division and it gets overshadowed. Anyways, I do have another idea to put on the table: maybe take the top 2 or 3 from each division, then have a whole extra round with a completely new contest? Just a thought.

Archived