Kansas City Chiefs/ uniform colors

nogamesnolan

I remember I did a Chiefs concept using only red and yellow, utilizing both colors on the helmet as well as the uniform itself.

and for the record, the 49ers have a history of having black in thier color scheme going back to the 50s, and they officially describe thier first uniforms in the late 40s as being CARDINAL red. So its not just to be cool, there is a point to it. End of discussion.

Yeah, yeah... we've been going over this (on and on and on) in amother thread. We all know that the 49ers had a history of black trim before the current uniform.

However, that doesn't mean they didn't add it to jump on a trend.

The two facts are not mutully exclusive.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Chief's uniform. One of my favorites. Keep it, don't try and modernize it. PLEASE. It's a unique combo in sports now.

The darkening of colors is just as bad as adding black. Broncos, Eagles, Patriots, Rams, Dolphins, Bills, and Seahawks all either darkened their colors, or added navy. And that's just the NFL. Eagles in particular tick me off... their set now isn't bad, but the kelly green looked really great.

I remember I did a Chiefs concept using only red and yellow, utilizing both colors on the helmet as well as the uniform itself.

and for the record, the 49ers have a history of having black in thier color scheme going back to the 50s, and they officially describe thier first uniforms in the late 40s as being CARDINAL red. So its not just to be cool, there is a point to it. End of discussion.

Yeah, yeah... we've been going over this (on and on and on) in amother thread. We all know that the 49ers had a history of black trim before the current uniform.

They added black to the uniforms in 1996. There was no "add black" trend in 1996.

Mets added black in 1998. Rangers in 2000. Blue Jays in 2004. Reds in 1999. Royals in 2002. Lions in 2003. Knicks in 1996, predated by the 49ers by a few months.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

They added black to the uniforms in 1996. There was no "add black" trend in 1996.

Mets added black in 1998. Rangers in 2000. Blue Jays in 2004. Reds in 1999. Royals in 2002. Lions in 2003. Knicks in 1996, predated by the 49ers by a few months.

Really? No black trend in 1996?

Really???!!

OK, try this...

White Sox switched to black in 91,

Timber Wolves added it in 96,

Knicks in 96,

Sac Kings in 95,

Sabres in 96,

Flames in 94,

LA Kings in... what '90?

North Stars in the late 80's,

Devils in, I think '92,

Capitals in '95,

NY Jets in '90,

ALSO... here's a list of expansion teams that came in in the 90's that all featured BLACK...

Rockies in '93

Marlins in '93

Devil Rays (?),

Heat in '88

Sharks in '91

Sens in '91,

Lightning in '92,

NFL Panthers in '95

Jaguars in '95

Some of my dates could be off by a year maybe, but I think its safe to say...

When the 49ers jumped on the black bandwagon in 96, they were not breaking new ground.

The concept above showing a yellow border on the helmet arrowhead solves the KC problem. Do that and it's perfect, IMHO. I want the helmet to match the uniform, not the other way around, in this case. Red and yellow isn't used much in the major pro sports, and KC should stay with that.

I'm generally not a fan of black in uniforms unless its a main color. I'll take the Raiders Silver and Black over the 9ers Red Gold and hint of black. I'll take the Panthers Black and Blue and Silver over the Lions Blue and Silver and hint of black. Sometimes color sets, especially on older teams, just work. They pop. The Blue and orange of the Mets pops, it doesn't need black trim or a full black jersey.

The funny thing is that with all this talk about black, the only place I feel comfortable with its addition is in footwear. I've love to see more baseball and more football teams move to black intead of white or team color shoes.

But then again what do I know? My reference for the best looking period in sports are the 50s and 60s.

Really???!!

<snipped>

There's a difference between "adding black" to an already-existing uniform and/or logo (ala Reds, Lions, Royals, Knicks) and completely overhauling your identity.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Woo-sah, gentlemen...WOO...SAHHH!!!

...And now that we've all taken a deep breath, let's all take a moment to appreciate the intrinsic beauty of the following photo--which, coincidentally, is a photographic representation of my UniBowl AFC Championship round:

larry-johnson.jpg

There...do we all feel just a little bit better now??? :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Woo-sah, gentlemen...WOO...SAHHH!!!

...And now that we've all taken a deep breath, let's all take a moment to appreciate the intrinsic beauty of the following photo--which, coincidentally, is a photographic representation of my UniBowl AFC Championship round:

larry-johnson.jpg

There...do we all feel just a little bit better now??? :D

Yes... a little.

Although I'd feel a LOT better if someone could replace that black trim on the chiefs' helmet with gold. :D

And eliminate the aqua pants. Dolphins in all-white=win, baby, win.

You mean, like in 2007? :P

The Chiefs uniforms need a re-design. They just don't work anymore (especially, those ugly road uniforms).

You could put a real nice uniform together, with red/yellow/black. The current set, is played out.

And eliminate the aqua pants. Dolphins in all-white=win, baby, win.

You mean, like in 2007? :P

The Chiefs uniforms need a re-design. They just don't work anymore (especially, those ugly road uniforms).

You could put a real nice uniform together, with red/yellow/black. The current set, is played out.

I'm shocked that you, of all people, think the Chiefs need a re-design.

OK, that was sarcasm.

I bet you'd like the road uniforms better if they had solid red pants with solid red socks? Eck.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Chiefs' current set. It is one of the few classic uniforms in the league that still works.

I would just like it better if they got rid of the red pants in the away set. The white pants look slick.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

As a life long Chiefs fan I would be very upset if the team ever altered their jersey's in any drastic way. The Chiefs have a crisp, clean, classic look that stands out as one of the best all time uniforms in the NFL.

Honestly if the Chiefs replaced the black outlining of the Arrowhead and KC on their helmet, with gold (yellow), it would probably be really gaudy and hard to read. Oh and by the way the Steelers only have Red and Blue on their helmets, does that also bother you?

Really???!!

OK, try this...

Knicks in 96,

Sac Kings in 95,

Sabres in 96,

Flames in 94,

LA Kings in... what '90?

Devils in, I think '92,

Capitals in '95,

NY Jets in '90,

ALSO... here's a list of expansion teams that came in in the 90's that all featured BLACK...

Rockies in '93

Marlins in '93

Devil Rays (?),

Heat in '88

Sharks in '91

Sens in '91,

Lightning in '92,

NFL Panthers in '95

Jaguars in '95

When the 49ers jumped on the black bandwagon in 96, they were not breaking new ground.

Don't forget the Raptors, Grizzlies, D'Backs, Magic, Sixers, Wizards, Eagles (same year as the Niners), and as someone said before, the Ravens.

As a life long Chiefs fan I would be very upset if the team ever altered their jersey's in any drastic way. The Chiefs have a crisp, clean, classic look that stands out as one of the best all time uniforms in the NFL.

Honestly if the Chiefs replaced the black outlining of the Arrowhead and KC on their helmet, with gold (yellow), it would probably be really gaudy and hard to read. Oh and by the way the Steelers only have Red and Blue on their helmets, does that also bother you?

I personally think there is room for traces of black in the Chiefs uni's and there should be yellow on the helmet. Oh yeah, and the Steelers blue and red have always bothered me, that's why I fixed it in my NFL re-design.

I'm sure a lot of people already know this, but Imma gon' ahead and mention it once more for those who my not know.

The Steelers' current logo is, with the exception of three letters, the actual Steelmark logo of the American Iron and Steel Institute. It was created by U.S. Steel in 1962, the same year the Steelers started employing that logo on the side of their yellow helmets. The crazy bit of irony in this occurrence is that the Republic Steel company, which was located in--wait for it...wait for it...Cleveland--originally suggested the Pittsburgh Steelers use that logo to represent their team. Prior to that the team had just been simply using numbers on the sides of their helmets. (Short history lesson/myth: it's been said that at the time the logo was being tested on a trial basis, and the team only had enough helmet decals for one side of the helmet.) Not very long after that "first test run", the team added "ers" to the pre-existing "Steel", and the rest is, well, history.

One other thing worth mentioning: the hypocycloids (the diamond-shaped things in the logo) do have a meaning, for those unfamiliar: yellow for coal, orange for ore (Imma say that one again: ORANGE--many just assume it's red), and blue for steel scrap--the elements used to create steel. The Steelmark logo itself also had a meaning when it was created, something along the lines of "steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure, and widens your world" (I don't remember exactly how it goes). Oh--and the Steelmark logo was/is actually meant to represent the entire steel industry across the U.S. (That might be a contributing factor to the Steeler Nation being as big as it is. :P )

Okay...enough of that.

Back on topic...and back to the Chiefs here. I really wouldn't see how or why a slight yellow trim on the Arrowhead logo wouldn't hurt. If anything it'd probably help it pop a bit more. And while the unis themselves might look pretty decent with some black trim in scant amounts, I see nothing wrong with them as is (except for the players wearing leggings in the place of actual socks, as is the case with LJ in that picture up above).

(I will say, though, that it'd be interesting to see what a "feather headdress" logo would look like in real life. Someone on here did up a Chiefs helmet concept designed to look like a feather headdress, and it looked bad-a$$. Don't remember who it was, but I remember loving that concept.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Really???!!

OK, try this...

Knicks in 96,

Sac Kings in 95,

Sabres in 96,

Flames in 94,

LA Kings in... what '90?

Devils in, I think '92,

Capitals in '95,

NY Jets in '90,

Rockies in '93

Marlins in '93

Devil Rays (?),

Heat in '88

Sharks in '91

Sens in '91,

Lightning in '92,

NFL Panthers in '95

Jaguars in '95

Don't forget the Raptors, Grizzlies, D'Backs, Magic, Sixers, Wizards, Eagles (same year as the Niners), and as someone said before, the Ravens.

I personally think there is room for traces of black in the Chiefs uni's and there should be yellow on the helmet. Oh yeah, and the Steelers blue and red have always bothered me, that's why I fixed it in my NFL re-design.

The Eagles had black in their previous set, which came along in the early-mid '80s. They also had black trim on the wings on their white helmet for at least a year back in the '60s (though there's not many good photos of it.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One other thing worth mentioning: the hypocycloids (the diamond-shaped things in the logo) do have a meaning, for those unfamiliar: yellow for coal, orange for ore (Imma say that one again: ORANGE--many just assume it's red), and blue for steel scrap--the elements used to create steel. The Steelmark logo itself also had a meaning when it was created, something along the lines of "steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure, and widens your world" (I don't remember exactly how it goes). Oh--and the Steelmark logo was/is actually meant to represent the entire steel industry across the U.S. (That might be a contributing factor to the Steeler Nation being as big as it is. :P )

It is true that the Steelmark logo is Orange, but at some point, the Steelers recolored it to RED.

In fact, the Steelers' throwbacks use different shades of Yellow, Red (Red-Orange), Blue and Gray:

PittsburghSteelers_AUC_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

...as opposed to the current color palette which is this:

PittsburghSteelers_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

That Red is PANTONE 186 C. Not very many people would call that Orange.

Archived