MLB 2009 Batting Practice

francis

Tell you what. If the YANKEE$ should win No. 27 in 2009 with all this spending, not only will I tolerate your use of the phrase, but I will use it myself and petition the staff to institute a word filter that changes all instances of "Yankees" to "Yankee$" on the board. Till then, clear the sand out of yr gash and just type it like everybody else.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because the Dodgers have had other morons running the team doesn't give Scully any credibility for his input. It just adds one more lousy decision maker.

Scully was lazy. It wasn't about legibility - he just didn't want to have to learn new players' numbers.

Did Vin kick your dog or something?

As to the rest of the thread (and I'm not entirely sure what this thread is about anymore), the Yankees' sleeve stripes need to go, but the white outlines make them pop and should stay.

Yes, we do realize that. Do you have a point to this post other than another avenue for your putrid YANKEE$ gimmick? Of course it would be minimalist to just have "NEW YORK" in navy block letters on plain grey. That's the idea.

When a team confuses "benefits from accident of geography coupled with MLB's absurdist revenue system" as something more like an act of god; when they refuse makers' marks or NOB on their jerseys because they're "better than that"; when they bigfoot their way across the landscape of a sport for more than 80 years because of MONEY...they are worthy of whatever opprobrium I can hurl at them. Although "putrid" is a pretty good description for how they'll play defense this season.

Wait - you're upset because they don't have manufacturers logos on their jerseys? That's insane. I can't believe that anyone of us likes logo creep, and I personally applaud the Yankees for standing up against it. I'm not a Yankees fan by any stretch of the imagination, but there are some things that they just do right, and that's one of them.

I agree with Admiral - your "I hate the Yankee{:content:}quot; shtick is getting old.

Am I upset that they don't have logos on their jerseys, in and of itself? No. Am I upset because it's yet another example of their "there's us...the Yankee$...winners...lords of all...and then there's those 29 losers we're forced to associate with" attitude? Oh, hell yes.

And when MLB institutes a proper revenue sharing system (and by that I mean a minimum of 75% of all local revenues are shared--off the real books, not the cooked ones--then I'll gladly retire "Yankee{:content:}quot; from the lexicon...at least when speaking in the present tense.

You really don't make any sense. You should be upset with the "29 losers" that didn't have the guts to stand up against the manufacturers logo.

The Yankees not having the manufacturers logos on there uniforms is a good thing. I still hate their very existence. But that is one good thing about them.

Yes... that's my point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just because the Dodgers have had other morons running the team doesn't give Scully any credibility for his input. It just adds one more lousy decision maker.

Scully was lazy. It wasn't about legibility - he just didn't want to have to learn new players' numbers.

Did Vin kick your dog or something?

As to the rest of the thread (and I'm not entirely sure what this thread is about anymore), the Yankees' sleeve stripes need to go, but the white outlines make them pop and should stay.

No, actually Vinny kicked the dirt on your crappy franchise! :P

What is your problem with the Yankees? That they have the money to spend and reinvest in their team so they decide to do so. So what that they spend the money, the only reason other owners are starting to complain because they wont be getting the revenue sharing from the Yankees this season because of the new stadium. If the past eight years have proven anything it is that the Yankees spending money doesn't mean they will dominate every season.

Yankees play in the biggest market in the world so its logical for them to have more money to spend. Think of the other results of the Yankees spending - more tax revenue for the city, more wins=playoffs and more money for bars, businesses and the city. The stadium financing deal allows the city to make money off the stadium the same way a bank would make money off financing a car. Not to mention the rent payments to the city each year by the Yankees to use the land.

If you want to say about high ticket prices then you have somewhat of a point but keep in mind Boston has higher ticket prices then the Yankees and have the second highest payroll.

Personally I like the Yankees home jerseys they are perfect the way they are. The only thing I might change is to match up the NY on the chest and cap. I do think they need an alternate jersey, maybe a blue one with a little bit of red mixed in. As for the road shirts keep the white on the lettering and numbers and had a white/blue sleeve piping instead of the trimming.

A new alternate logo would be great too, something similar to what they got in SI and SWB with the hat and bat.

Why no references to the Red $ox, or even the Met$? After all, the Red Sox had the highest payroll championship team in baseball history...

It is because everyone turns a blind eye to it. Besides I think the Yankees spending is a good thing. How many other teams can say they cause sellouts for the teams they visit on the road.

Why no references to the Red $ox, or even the Met$? After all, the Red Sox had the highest payroll championship team in baseball history...

It's likely because of the way the Yankees have spent this offseason. They have basically thrown enormous amounts of money at any free agent that has put up a good performance in the past without any regard for potential future problems. They overpaid for these guys too just because they can. The Red Sox definitely overspend and can afford to too. JD Drew, Julio Lugo, and Edgar Renteria immediately come to mind as players that they have overpaid for or have eaten the contracts of. The Red Sox are smart with their farm systems and make some very smart free agent moves too. Forgive me if I'm coming off biased. I am. There's nothing I can do about it sometimes.

Back to BP talk:

I hope the Red Sox switch to navy BP uniforms for home and road with the hanging sox logo on the breast and navy hats too. It probably won't happen. I hope the Yankees switch to navy uniforms with the yankees script from the logo on them. That probably won't happen either.

It's likely because of the way the Yankees have spent this offseason. They have basically thrown enormous amounts of money at any free agent that has put up a good performance in the past without any regard for potential future problems. They overpaid for these guys too just because they can. The Red Sox definitely overspend and can afford to too. JD Drew, Julio Lugo, and Edgar Renteria immediately come to mind as players that they have overpaid for or have eaten the contracts of. The Red Sox are smart with their farm systems and make some very smart free agent moves too. Forgive me if I'm coming off biased. I am. There's nothing I can do about it sometimes.

Back to BP talk:

I hope the Red Sox switch to navy BP uniforms for home and road with the hanging sox logo on the breast and navy hats too. It probably won't happen. I hope the Yankees switch to navy uniforms with the yankees script from the logo on them. That probably won't happen either.

The hanging sox should be used on a uniform, I think it would look good. I agree the Yankees should use the Yankees script on their BPs. It fits and looks good, the Staten Island Yankees used it for many years.

Back to BP talk:

The hanging sox should be used on a uniform, I think it would look good. I agree the Yankees should use the Yankees script on their BPs. It fits and looks good, the Staten Island Yankees used it for many years.

mo_vaughn_autograph.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.

mets.png

I've always thought the Nationals should have alot more gold in their BP's. Maybe gold numbers, numbers with a gold outline, or gold sides on the jersey. The hat could have the bill piping or side flaps gold.

Interesting idea. I don't like how their numbers are on their uniforms now. I think if they just had a gold outline it would look better.

What is your problem with the Yankees? That they have the money to spend and reinvest in their team so they decide to do so...

That is exactly my problem with the Yankee$...that one team, by virtue of geographic accident, is allowed to have significantly more revenue than any other team. If you're in a sports league, revenues should be thrown into a collective pot, and allocated evenly. Last I looked, they're not playing exhibition games all season long. In order to have a conpetition, you have to have an opponent. Why should that opponent have one (financial) arm tied behind its back?

And you can talk about the Rays success all you want. IMO, it means nothing if it cannot be sustained. They haven't yet proven they can.

What is your problem with the Yankees? That they have the money to spend and reinvest in their team so they decide to do so...

That is exactly my problem with the Yankee$...that one team, by virtue of geographic accident, is allowed to have significantly more revenue than any other team. If you're in a sports league, revenues should be thrown into a collective pot, and allocated evenly. Last I looked, they're not playing exhibition games all season long. In order to have a conpetition, you have to have an opponent. Why should that opponent have one (financial) arm tied behind its back?

And you can talk about the Rays success all you want. IMO, it means nothing if it cannot be sustained. They haven't yet proven they can.

Your logic is incredibly flawed.

A significant factor in the Yankees having significantly more revenue than most is also that since buying the team in 1973 Steinbrenner has continuously reinvested the profits back into the business. That's smart business. You're just bitter that your team hasn't done the same.

Besides if that were the case then the Mets would be in a similar position and they're not.

That's an argument against how the LEAGUE does business, not one team. So, let's add that $ to the end of every team name, shall we?

Also, you say "geographic accident" - but it should be noted that the franchise moved to New York voluntarily, only because Baltimore wasn't that solid of a location for the team (granted, this was more than 100 years ago). I would argue that they moved to New York on purpose.

I'm not going to change your mind about how you feel about the Yanks. I know this. But this stuff bears mentioning.

Back on topic: I think that all of the batting practice hats and jerseys should be thrown into a wastepaper bin and burned using several accelerants to speed the process. Down with the pointless side panels! Down with the pointless hat piping!

Yes, we do realize that. Do you have a point to this post other than another avenue for your putrid YANKEE$ gimmick? Of course it would be minimalist to just have "NEW YORK" in navy block letters on plain grey. That's the idea.

When a team confuses "benefits from accident of geography coupled with MLB's absurdist revenue system" as something more like an act of god; when they refuse makers' marks or NOB on their jerseys because they're "better than that"; when they bigfoot their way across the landscape of a sport for more than 80 years because of MONEY...they are worthy of whatever opprobrium I can hurl at them. Although "putrid" is a pretty good description for how they'll play defense this season.

Wait - you're upset because they don't have manufacturers logos on their jerseys? That's insane. I can't believe that anyone of us likes logo creep, and I personally applaud the Yankees for standing up against it. I'm not a Yankees fan by any stretch of the imagination, but there are some things that they just do right, and that's one of them.

I agree with Admiral - your "I hate the Yankee{:content:}quot; shtick is getting old.

Am I upset that they don't have logos on their jerseys, in and of itself? No. Am I upset because it's yet another example of their "there's us...the Yankee$...winners...lords of all...and then there's those 29 losers we're forced to associate with" attitude? Oh, hell yes.

And when MLB institutes a proper revenue sharing system (and by that I mean a minimum of 75% of all local revenues are shared--off the real books, not the cooked ones--then I'll gladly retire "Yankee{:content:}quot; from the lexicon...at least when speaking in the present tense.

You really don't make any sense. You should be upset with the "29 losers" that didn't have the guts to stand up against the manufacturers logo.

The Yankees not having the manufacturers logos on there uniforms is a good thing. I still hate their very existence. But that is one good thing about them.

Yes... that's my point.

Doesn't the Yankees lack of a manufactures logo have something to do with their exclusive deal with another manufacture?

I don't have a problem with logo creep, mainly because the addition of the exclusive contracts have allowed us as fans to easily purchase replica and authentic jerseys, when in the past it was very hard to find anything that even closely resembled the real thing.

Yes... that's my point.

Doesn't the Yankees lack of a manufactures logo have something to do with their exclusive deal with another manufacture?

I don't have a problem with logo creep, mainly because the addition of the exclusive contracts have allowed us as fans to easily purchase replica and authentic jerseys, when in the past it was very hard to find anything that even closely resembled the real thing.

My bone to pick with the logo creep is that it is unnecessary. The NBA has no manufacturer's logo on the jersey (per Stern's mandate), yet you can get an adidas authentic jersey. Majestic advertises enough at MLB parks that they could pull the logo off the sleeves and no one would be worse off. It's not like you can get a current Russell or Rawlings MLB jersey. They're all Majestic now. So I do applaud the Yanks for that (even if it's for a different reason).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Creating a team in a city is not a geographic accident. It wasn't like they put the names in a hat and picked randomly what city had a team. With said your theory of geographic accident is flawed.

You have admitted that your problem with the Yankees is that they reinvest their money into the team. So would you be so against a medcine company reinvesting their money into making new medicine or a electronics company into making new electronics. The answer would be no. So you are saying you are against capitalistic business system. That is what the Yankees really represent the American Capitalist system.

The only reason owners are balking at the Yankees this year is that they are not going to be paying the luxury tax because of the new stadium. So they won't get the few million for doing nothing. That and for the most part the Yankees made good investments in free agents and not just sign old past their prime players but two players that are in their prime and one veteran who can help solitify the rotation.

As much as I hate the Yankees, they earned their money fair.If a team in the biggest market in America with the most titles isn't making good money, what hope is there for our team in the mid-major markets or cellar to turn a profit? I like that the Steinbrenners spend their money on the team, instead of lining their pockets. More owners should look to them for how to run their team. I mean, we don't throw $20 to the guy in the ticket booth and hope that we can get lower lever seats. If we want good seats, we have to spend money to get them.

And the best part of the Yankees spending: The harder they come, the harder they fall. :D

Archived