Mets' pizza patch the laughingstock of baseball uniform world

Waleslax

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, was that a real conversation? If not, whoever made it is a :censored: genious!

No one has any idea what you're talking about, and your sig is the size of Nebraska. Please work to remedy both.

I mean on that site with the players and the Pizza Hut etc. designs, and the size of my sig is similar to other members.

The Mets uniform patch to honor their first season at (soon-to-be-no-longer-called) Citi Field: more boring than the Oklahoma City Thunder logo, the Buffalo Sabres "Buffaslug" logo, and even the Dallas Stars "Mooterus" logo combined!

The Mets uniform patch to honor their first season at (soon-to-be-no-longer-called) Citi Field: more boring than the Oklahoma City Thunder logo, the Buffalo Sabres "Buffaslug" logo, and even the Dallas Stars "Mooterus" logo combined!

It's the sports logo equivalent of what us wrestling fans call the "Conway Pop": complete and utter apathy. :D

I disagree completely in terms of the Mets classic home pinstriped suit.

The Mets wore a pinstripe only home uniform from 1962-1996, and while I like the Mets all-white uniform, it looks horrible with the two tone cap which they should ditch immediately.

The Mets classic pinstripe uniform sans the awful drop shadow black, with their standard royal blue cap, is a classic look.

When they wear the pinstriped uniform as presently constituted, along with the two tone cap...it looks, revolting.

I get that they wore pinstripes at home for the longest time. That doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake though. The team's colours were chosen to homage the NL's last two NY teams, the NY Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers. Ok, that's cool.

Then they add pinstripes to honour a team that's 1) still around and 2) their local rivals.

The pinstripes just come off looking like a pathetic attempt to emulate the Yankees' look. With the plain white uniform you get that special baseball duality for NYC; one team uses pinstripes, one team doesn't. Sort of like how LA has two teams, one blue and one red.

I agree that the two-tone black caps and the over-use of black needs to go, but I don't mind the slight black dropshadows on the Mets' snow white uniforms and regular grey roads.

Why, you may ask? Because a small amount of black works, I think, for the Mets. You have the black and orange, playing homage to the Giants, and the blue and white, playing homage to the Dodgers.

So ideally the Mets should ditch all black jerseys and hats, and just wear the snow whites at home, and the greys on the road, both with the classic blue hat with the orange NY.

The Buffaslug and Mooterous logos weren't/aren't boring, they're ugly.

And I happen to find charm in the boringness of the OKC Thunder logo.

FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!

THE NEW YORK METROPOLITANS, DID NOT, EVER, INCORPORATE THE PINSTRIPE DESIGN TO THEIR UNIFORM ENSEMBLE, TO 'HONOR' 'EMULATE' OR COPY...THE TEAM IN THE BRONX.

THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING THIS CLARIFICATION...FOR HOPEFULLY THE LAST TIME.

I'm aware that the New York Metropolitans didn't "honour emulate or copy" the Yankees' pinstripes, but didn't the Mets?

LOL.

The biggest problem I have with the black drop-shadow is that it muddies the wordmark and makes it less legible. The Dolphins realized this with their navy drop-shadow, which is why they minimized it last year.

FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!

THE NEW YORK METROPOLITANS, DID NOT, EVER, INCORPORATE THE PINSTRIPE DESIGN TO THEIR UNIFORM ENSEMBLE, TO 'HONOR' 'EMULATE' OR COPY...THE TEAM IN THE BRONX.

THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING THIS CLARIFICATION...FOR HOPEFULLY THE LAST TIME.

Calm down Sparky.

That was the rumour I heard. Either way, pinstripes have become a well-known New York Yankees design element. For an other, less established, team in the same metropolitan area to use them reeks of "hey look at us, we're a baseball team to!"

The Mets identity is much more distinctive whithout the pinstripes.

I'm aware that the New York Metropolitans didn't "honour emulate or copy" the Yankees' pinstripes, but didn't the Mets?

LOL.

The biggest problem I have with the black drop-shadow is that it muddies the wordmark and makes it less legible. The Dolphins realized this with their navy drop-shadow, which is why they minimized it last year.

I would be in favour of the Mets minimizing their black drop shadow. I just think that the addition of black works to well (with the Giants reference) to be ditched competently.

The Yankees don't own pinstripes as a design elements. The Mets have always worn pinstripes, they've won two championships in pinstripes, and to imply that they only wear them to ape of the Yankees is pretty ignorant. The White Sox, Senators, Cubs, Phillies, Reds, and Twins all also wore pinstripes around that time. It was just something that looked good on a damned uniform. Jeez.

The Yankees don't own pinstripes as a design elements. The Mets have always worn pinstripes, they've won two championships in pinstripes, and to imply that they only wear them to ape of the Yankees is pretty ignorant. The White Sox, Senators, Cubs, Phillies, Reds, and Twins all also wore pinstripes around that time. It was just something that looked good on a damned uniform. Jeez.

No, the Yankees don't own pinstripes, but they have become so synonymous to the team that, IMO, it's a mistake for an other team within the same city to use them.

Take the Dodgers and Angles, for example. No, the Dodgers don't own the rights to a blue and white colour scheme, but it would seem like a failed attempt to emulate them if the Angles were to adopt it.

LA has red vs blue. NY should have snow white vs pinstriped.

The Mets should ditch the black entirely. The franchise has sullied their own look by incorporating it and the sooner they get rid of it the faster the 'class' will come back to the Mets jersey style. Never has the Mets pinstriped uniform been a bone of contention with anyone - until I started reading the stupid comments comparing their pins (which are completely different from the Yankees pins) to the team in the Bronx.

No, the Yankees don't own pinstripes, but they have become so synonymous to the team that, IMO, it's a mistake for an other team within the same city to use them.

Take the Dodgers and Angles, for example. No, the Dodgers don't own the rights to a blue and white colour scheme, but it would seem like a failed attempt to emulate them if the Angles were to adopt it.

So the White Sox should ditch the pinstripes because they are copying the Cubs?

The Cubs aren't known for pinstripes though. If the Sox came out wearing just a C on their hats when they wore blue, you could say they were copying the Cubs.

The Cubs aren't known for pinstripes though. If the Sox came out wearing just a C on their hats when they wore blue, you could say they were copying the Cubs.

Copying an entire scheme is a lot different than sharing a design element that a good number of teams utilize.

Archived