Rams hire Steve Spagnuolo as Head Coach

STL FANATIC

Just starting a Rams HC discussion thread so we don't have to hijack other threads.

Responding to a Rams80 post in the Chiefs thread...

I don't care much for Haslett's X's or O's, and it's not like he was THAT impressive in his stint as HC. Still, I think he can motivate and bring guys together, and if he can get capable Coordinators (and I don't htink he'll be hired unless he has agreements in place from some good coordinators), then I think he can do just fine.

I tend to disagree about the Rams not being able to run a Martz offense. With a back like Jackson, they'll need Martz to run more than he has in the past, but both Haslett and Martz have already said/implied that can happen. But as for having the personnel, I think they've got it or they don't have it to run any offense.

By that I mean that the Rams need a better and good offensive line no matter what offense they're running. Every successful offense is built around a solid line. I don't share you're skepticism of Avery and Burton. In addition, Mike Martz probably manages to keep Torry Holt in town and happy.

As for Bulger, no doubt he's been battered and that has effected him, but I don't share the view that a lot of people have of him, saying he needs time to recover and he'll just comeback. He needs a strong offense and a coach with tons of confidence behind him, and he can go back to being a successful (he was never great) QB. Who better to do that than the guy that gave him his start?

I don't know. I'm sure I'm trying to block some of the obvious problems out with flashbacks to Martz's great Rams offenses, but I still think he could do a good job.

All of that said, I'm also a big Spagnuolo fan and would not be at all disappointed to hear we went with Frazier or Ryan. Garrett would baffle me and, for a while at least, upset me.

I'm less sold on Haslett as a leader of men. The collapses of his Saints teams throughout his tenure in New Orleans do not speak well; it appears that his message inevitably would stop resonating at some point in the season. The petition itself could have been prompted by other feelings than loyalty to Haslett; it could be that Haslett didn't exactly work the team hard in practice, or it could be fears that a completely new regime might stage an even greater roster purge than the one already anticipated.

If I had seen some sign of improvement out of the rookies vis a vis route running throughout the season, I might feel differently. However, it appears that such improvements were not happening. Now there could be explanations for this. I'm not quite sure what Saunders did this year besides demonstrate that his reputation for being an offensive genius was greatly inflated. Additionally, perhaps Holt is not as good a teacher as Ike. I sense Ike certainly would have been more useful now; having one of the best route runners in League history as a mentor would certainly be beneficial to Burton and Avery. Of course, Bulger does need to adapt a little to them; hopefully none of them get hurt in training camp or during the preseason.

Bulger could certainly still be workable, but his replacement should be drafted in the middle rounds this year. Someone fairly cheap who won't instantly be demanded by the crowds when Bulger falters. I'd rather not break the new QB's spirit quite yet.

I am starting to sense (or fear) that the Rams will be "outbid" for both Spags and Ryan. Granted I have no access to the Rams books, but it sounds like money may indeed be an issue right now for the team, so a low cost option may be forced. If this is indeed the case, it's likely Frazier winning the day, with Garrett being a second "if we hire Haslett, the Dome will be even more empty next year, which damages salability" option.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When did Martz go back to St. Louis?

He hasn't, but Haslett has contacted him about being his OC if Haslett gets the job, and Martz has all but said he would accept the position. The right choice or not, Haslett would probably choose him, because part of the criteria for this job is outreach to the community and getting fans excited again.

Martz would do just that, at least for a while.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Fine with me. Fassel apparently is still being considered, but I doubt that's serious.

There's rumors for Spags, Ryan, and Frazier still going. Garrett is also still mentioned, but I can't see that one happening.

My guess is if they don't name someone tomorrow (Friday), then they're hoping to land Ryan.

There's rumors for Spags, Ryan, and Frazier still going.

At this moment, it looks like Spagnuolo will be jumping across the field to the Jets after having his second interview with the team Thursday.

From what I can tell, Spags seems to be the definite frontrunner. However, I'm still holding out hope that NYJ gives Mike Shanahan a real look. I know the Jets were supposed to have contacted him about the gig last week. I never hear how that turned out -- Although, reports have him giving it another week or so to decide if he wants to come back for '09 or take a break from the sidelines. Plus, it seems like the Jets are in no big rush to make a hire, which leads me to believe they are actually going to wait until Shanahan makes a decision for 2009.

Hiring an established coach with experience, such as Shanahan, could be what the Jets need. After all, it's not like they have had great success with any of the first-time hires (Groh, Edwards and Mangini) since Parcells left a decade ago.

6uXNWAo.png

My first choice for the Rams would be Spags. But, if it seems as if he'd prefer to stay in the Meadowlands and simply switch locker rooms, then I kinda hope they hold out for Ryan. Although, by then, he may decide to stay in Baltimore or take another head coaching job and the Rams are screwed.

I'm kinda sad to see Haslett go. Yeah they blew the final 10 games, but they were tolerable to watch again and it gave the fans a little hope. He probably wasn't the best candidate available and I'd prefer to see Spags or Ryan in the position, but he definately was somewhat of a breath of fresh air after the whole Linehan crap.

Ugh.

One report has Garrett on his way back to St. Louis...

I'm not going to judge him too much before he gets his shot, but if he is indeed the choice, the Rams will have botched the "getting St. Louis fans excited about the team" part of the criteria.

If that's true, I hope the NFL's CBA negotiations that forced the Rams to keep John Shaw go very well. Because he likely just :censored: ed this franchise in the rear one more time.

Today, we are all otaku.

Ugh.

I'm not going to judge him too much before he gets his shot, but if he is indeed the choice, the Rams will have botched the "getting St. Louis fans excited about the team" part of the criteria.

If that's true, I hope the NFL's CBA negotiations that forced the Rams to keep John Shaw go very well. Because he likely just :censored: ed this franchise in the rear one more time.

I don't think this is Shaw at all. Just because it's not an exciting hire doesn't mean it's bad, and even if it is a bad hired, that doesn't mean Shaw's the guy who did it.

Garrett was Devaney's top choice last season for Atlanta, and they have the same agent.

This may have way more of Devaney written on it than Rams fans will want to believe.

I don't have anything against the guy, but he was lowest on my list and certainly isn't the exciting hire they fooled the fans into thinking they might make.

Ugh.

I don't think this is Shaw at all. Just because it's not an exciting hire doesn't mean it's bad, and even if it is a bad hired, that doesn't mean Shaw's the guy who did it.

Garrett was Devaney's top choice last season for Atlanta, and they have the same agent.

This may have way more of Devaney written on it than Rams fans will want to believe.

I don't have anything against the guy, but he was lowest on my list and certainly isn't the exciting hire they fooled the fans into thinking they might make.

Shaw is reportedly very close to Chip still, and was sitting in on the interviews. Remember, everyone thought the Rams were going defense for a HC, then they picked the one OC at Shaw's behest. The similarities between that search and this right now are not pleasant.

Of course, perhaps it's time we considered that Devaney was hired by Shawmunt as well. Maybe the (hopefully very soon) post sale front office purge should include him as well.

Today, we are all otaku.

The Rams won't be sold any time soon. That's just the fact of the matter.

Chip is close to Shaw and he was sitting in on the interviews. This was still Devaney's search, and I won't assume he was overruled until I see anything credible to suggest it.

And in this case, the Rams didn't desperately need to find a defensive minded coach and go away from that. It just so happened that the hottest names this year were DCs.

I'm just not gonna flip it on it yet. There's nothing to really suggest Garrett will fail any more or less than one of the other candidates would have. He just doesn't excite anybody (which is something the Rams claimed to be trying to do, so that is a fail), but he's not inherently bad.

I've seen rumors that the team is being shopped, due to inheritance tax issues.

All I think is that Shaw swayed Chip into making the hire.

I will also point out that hiring Garrett means the Rams are effectively hiring the only OC whose offense they were able to completely stymie this year. Not a ringing endorsement, there.

Today, we are all otaku.

I will also point out that hiring Garrett means the Rams are effectively hiring the only OC whose offense they were able to completely stymie this year. Not a ringing endorsement, there.

Now, I'm willing to blame Garrett for not having a better backup than Brad Johnson. But let's not blame him for Brad Johnson's ability (or lack thereof).

Now, I'm willing to blame Garrett for not having a better backup than Brad Johnson. But let's not blame him for Brad Johnson's ability (or lack thereof).

They could have simply fed the ball to Marion Barber, since Lord only knows the Rams couldn't stop the run at all this year.

Today, we are all otaku.

Martz worked well for a few years and then crap, and Linehan was a total bust, so I think they need to go AWAY from offensive coaches and try a defensive guy. That's why Spags or Rex Ryan were definately at the top of my wish list. Though now with Gruden out there, I don't know. However it may be too late in the game to switch gears and go after him.

Today, we are all otaku.

I have renewed faith in my team again. Even if he sputters out and turns out to be a bust, right now, he's probably the best possible candidate AT THIS TIME (obviously Shanahan and Cowher are gonna take time off and wouldn't come to St. Louis anyway) and I'm glad they got him. They went out and did what they needed to do and didn't just settle. As long as they can get a little more talent, it's gonna be exciting in St. Louis again. I'm not predicting a Super Bowl next season, but in the playoffs in a year or 2 could be likely and the right track to get back on.

Archived