Rams hire Steve Spagnuolo as Head Coach

STL FANATIC

Why don't you think Cowher would go to St. Louis? He was interested in the Jets job, after all....

It was just widely reported that the Rams job was seen as a less than great situation with some local reporters saying there was no chance Cowher would consider the Rams.

My guess is that's accurate, but people also doubted whether an A-list candidate like Spags would be interested.

But the truth is, that the Chip Rosenbloom has dramatically improved the Rams "situation" by getting rid of the old tangled web of authority and put a great guy in charge of football operations in GM Billy Devaney.

Even with an improved situation, at one point Devaney did say he wasn't even interested in the huge money candidates because any coach, no matter who he is, could come in here and fail and then you've got even more money invested in a guy you don't want. Chip said money wasn't an issue, and the fact that Spags is here with a good contract (4 years / just under 12 million) suggests that's true, but still they might not have wanted to pay what Cohwer would command.

Why don't you think Cowher would go to St. Louis? He was interested in the Jets job, after all....

It was just widely reported that the Rams job was seen as a less than great situation with some local reporters saying there was no chance Cowher would consider the Rams.

My guess is that's accurate, but people also doubted whether an A-list candidate like Spags would be interested.

But the truth is, that the Chip Rosenbloom has dramatically improved the Rams "situation" by getting rid of the old tangled web of authority and put a great guy in charge of football operations in GM Billy Devaney.

Even with an improved situation, at one point Devaney did say he wasn't even interested in the huge money candidates because any coach, no matter who he is, could come in here and fail and then you've got even more money invested in a guy you don't want. Chip said money wasn't an issue, and the fact that Spags is here with a good contract (4 years / just under 12 million) suggests that's true, but still they might not have wanted to pay what Cohwer would command.

Not in relation to Cowher, but I hear that money was in issue with Jason Garrett. i heard basically he was going to make as much or even less than he currently is making if hired by the Rams. I also read about the fan backlash of a Garrett hire.

Spags is getting just less than 3 million a year, I think Garrett makes 3 million a year now, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was an issue.

That said, the Rams story (and I have no reason to doubt it unless you're looking for conspiracy) is that Garrett asked after his interview Wednesday to come see St. Louis because he wasn't very familiar with it, and the Rams said of course. The Rams then interviewed Spags on Thursday. Despite knowing that Spags was now their lead candidate, they didn't feel a need to call off the visit and wanted to have options in case something fell through.

Reports are that Garrett was never really all that close to being Rams coach.

Archived