Sign in to follow this  
Survival79

Tampa Bay Rays unveil alternate jersey

Rays unveil new alternate jerseys

The Rays unveiled their new navy blue alternate jersey today.

The jersey will be worn occasionally at home games and on the road.

It will debut on May 1 when the Rays play host to the Boston Red Sox.

The jersey is a navy blue button-down with RAYS outlined in white trim with a light blue shadow across

the chest, according to a news release issued by the team.

The sunburst emanating from the ?R? is forty percent larger than the sunburst on the team?s home and road jerseys. Light blue piping surrounds the sleeves and collar and extends down the front of the jersey. The player?s name and number are featured on the back (in navy) outlined in white.

?Rays apparel, marked by our signature sunburst and light blue accents, has been embraced by fans throughout the state of Florida and across the nation,? Rays President Matt Silverman said in the release. ?The amplified sunburst on our new alternate jersey represents the brightness of our organization and its growing impact throughout the Tampa Bay region and central Florida.?

jamesshields011409nx5.jpg

You can really feel that added 40% brightening your life.

Navy numbers on a navy jersey is a terrible choice. It might not be as bad as the Giants' black on black, but good luck being able to read anything from the top level of the stands.

They couldn't make the damn text white? Not only would it be more legible, it would match the cap. Nice try, but not as good as it can be.

The asymmetric sun rays still kinda bothers me. It reminds me of like a cartoon bullet hole.

Yes, they really needed the biggest flaw in their new identity to be made even bigger.

Navy numbers on a navy jersey is a terrible choice. It might not be as bad as the Giants' black on black, but good luck being able to read anything from the top level of the stands.

Does anyone even sit up there anyway?

Honestly, I don't know if I would have even noticed the sunburst was bigger if they hadn't said anything. While I'd still rather see "Rays" be white, I can let it being navy fly. But the names AND numbers on the back being navy outlined in white is too much. Make both of them white, and the jersey is great. Not as great as it would be with white "Rays", which would be damn near perfect, but good and solid nonetheless.

I was really hoping they'd put "Tampa Bay" on the aways, too. The fact that they're not, when there was speculation, even from the owner or team president, saying they were probably going to, is disappointing.

Still, a good alternate jersey. I like it, but it does have it's flaws.

The "Rays" navy is darker than the jersey. It looks black.

Fantastic.

:upside:

yikes, I just noticed that too. Well that screws up the design a lot.

The "Rays" navy is darker than the jersey. It looks black.

Fantastic.

:upside:

yikes, I just noticed that too. Well that screws up the design a lot.

It's not actually a seperate, darker navy, that's just how the same color appears on 2 different fabric types.

I don't have a problem with the numbers on the back being navy outlined in white as it matches the Rays on the front. However if the "Rays" were white, I'd want conformity on the back as well.

It looks a lot like the Braves alternate that they introduced last year. I'm also not a fan of the numbers being the same color as the jersey.

I always hate that sunburst... it's very asymmetrical for my taste. They could redesign it more symmetrical or with the shape of the Argentinean sun.

Thankfully the Rays won't have that problem...

On James Shields pics, it looks like the "TB" on the hat is just white on white... weird !!!

On James Shields pics, it looks like the "TB" on the hat is just white on white... weird !!!

Naw, it's light blue. Just looks odd in the lighting. Though the whole cap itself looks odd. There's something on the side, so it's either a World Series cap, or some non-on-field version of the cap.