Tampa Bay Rays unveil alternate jersey

Survival79

The James Shields picture makes the jersey look worse than it is, I actually like them (at least more than any other jersey they currently have).

I think they look better in the picture below, the James Shields picture must be bad lighting, I would also like to see a back view if anyone has it and would be kind enough to post it.

sp_300056_borc_raysjersey_1.jpg

EDIT- That's the third time today that I have started a new page... WEIRD! :wow:

1/27/09- It was me, and I am sorry.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The James Shields picture makes the jersey look worse than it is, I actually like them (at least more than any other jersey they currently have).

I think they look better in the picture below, the James Shields picture must be bad lighting, I would also like to see a back view if anyone has it and would be kind enough to post it.

sp_300056_borc_raysjersey_1.jpg

EDIT- That's the third time today that I have started a new page... WEIRD! :wow:

That picture makes the color differences between the poly and twill even more apparent. What's that word you kids use these days... FAIL?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the new picture, it really doesn't look horrible. I like the light blue accents, like the placket piping. Very classy.

The front text being navy I can almost deal with, though I agree it should be white. The back numbers should be white with light blue trim, and the names should either match or be just plain white without any trim. And fwiw, I also don't really notice the bigger glint.

Overall...it's okay. Not great. But it could be so much worse.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Let's see, 2 people take shots at the attendance, and they just happen to be a Philly fan and a Yankee fan. I'm shocked, really.

As for the topic, I like the jerseys but I'm not blown away by them. They're pretty much as we expected.

I still think the "glint" is under-utilized overall...or at least the color is. I think the yellow or the light blue should be used more on the home/roads, to help make them "pop". But don't go crazy with it...

SigReflect.png

Let's see, 2 people take shots at the attendance, and they just happen to be a Philly fan and a Yankee fan. I'm shocked, really.

As for the topic, I like the jerseys but I'm not blown away by them. They're pretty much as we expected.

I still think the "glint" is under-utilized overall...or at least the color is. I think the yellow or the light blue should be used more on the home/roads, to help make them "pop". But don't go crazy with it...

The thing I'm lost on is why, especially since the "Rays" went through all that trouble of rebranding themselves to present the more "pleasant" image of "rays of light" or "life" or whatever half-ambiguous meaning they wish to attach both to the name and to that little "glint" in the wordmark, why then...does the team still utilize the actual devil ray animal logo on the sleeve??? (And for that matter, why utilize navy in the first place if you're trying to name/brand your team after something more pleasant and, well, "radiant"?)

/RANT

(I have my own theory behind all this, but this is the Sports Logos thread...not the "Politically Contrived $*!@" thread... :D )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

No, hopefully they do take the devil ray off the other jerseys, because it makes no sense for it to be there with the redesign. It's be like the Brewers wearing a picture of Jim Breuer.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No ray alternate logo? Fail.

Navy wordmaks and numbers on the same navy jersey? Double fail.

It's a shame 'cause overall the new Rays look has been a definite improvement. This sets them back a bit.

No, hopefully they do take the devil ray off the other jerseys, because it makes no sense for it to be there with the redesign. It's be like the Brewers wearing a picture of Jim Breuer.

1) Not really. 2) As long as they play indoors the name still needs a ray logo to tie it all together. A team that plays in a dreary dome is not allowed to name themselves after the sun.

Are the regular home and road jerseys also going to feature 40% more sunburst?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This just shows that even after ditching green and blue, the Rays are still a team that doesn't have the first clue what its colors are and how to use them. I understand that once they commit themselves to the yellow-and-white sunburst, or glint, or whatever they call it, that they have boxed themselves into being unable to have white jersey scripts. But that means either using light blue lettering on a navy jersey, or navy lettering on a jersey that's not navy. That means either a light blue jersey or just not having an alternate jersey at all and dressing like a real team.

Navy, light blue, and yellow is a terrific color scheme. But if this is the best that the Rays can do with it, they should probably have their color privileges revoked entirely.

20082614447.png

As long as they play indoors the name still needs a ray logo to tie it all together. A team that plays in a dreary dome is not allowed to name themselves after the sun.

If they're playing in a dome, how does an aquatic logo make more sense than a solar logo?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As long as they play indoors the name still needs a ray logo to tie it all together. A team that plays in a dreary dome is not allowed to name themselves after the sun.

If they're playing in a dome, how does an aquatic logo make more sense than a solar logo?

You can flood a domed stadium with water but not with natural light. B)

Archived