AFC/NFC Championship Game Previews

NJTank

No real issues, but since you do do give the latest line from when you post.

1-You did not talk about injuries on either side of the ball at all. If you ar leading some matter, injuries, like the possible deactivation of Suggs, should matter. There are other other stories on who did and didn't play in the previous two games and that is not told.

2-There is a history of teams who swept in the regular season yet lost in the post-season and there is no mention of that.

3- No mention of the completion percentage of Flacco. It is under 50% and going up against the NFL's #1 defense.

4- As for the NFC, you spent too much time on the past. Talk about now and how you will beat the line. You commented a lot on the Cardinals history but never commented on how their defense beat Atlanta and how they kick the sh#t out of Carilona who had to pass. Guess what Tank, the igles prefer to throw the ball. You made no mention of that.

Don't become another Spammy. I do like you.

1-You did not talk about injuries on either side of the ball at all. If you ar leading some matter, injuries, like the possible deactivation of Suggs, should matter. There are other other stories on who did and didn't play in the previous two games and that is not told.

2-There is a history of teams who swept in the regular season yet lost in the post-season and there is no mention of that.

3- No mention of the completion percentage of Flacco. It is under 50% and going up against the NFL's #1 defense.

1- The possible Suggs injury is huge. He's had a huge season and is a big reason for the Ravens success. He puts a ton of pressure on the QB. Without him I feel Big Ben could have a huge game. I'm really worried about this one, hopefully he'll be able to play. Derrick Mason has been playing without an injured should since the Texans game, so maybe Suggs will be able to suit up too.

2- The Baltimore Sun ran an article on this. It turns out that the saying "Its hard to beat a team three times in a season" is actually a myth. There have been 18 times in NFL history when two teams have meet 3 times in a season, and 11 of those times have been sweeps. Recent history gives hope to the Ravens as the Giants last year and the Vikings in 2004 avoided the sweep. Here's the article if anyone is interested

3- I'm not too concerned about Joe Cool. He won't let the past bother him. He'll go out there like its any other game

Overall, I say its going to be a real close game. It's really hard to pick who'll win. I think it will really come down to who gets the ball last (with a significant amount of time). Win or loss, it'll still be a hell of a season. I never dreamed we'd make it this far, even when it looked like we'd make the playoffs. But it sure would be nice to beat the Steelers to get to the Super Bowl.

1- The possible Suggs injury is huge. He's had a huge season and is a big reason for the Ravens success. He puts a ton of pressure on the QB. Without him I feel Big Ben could have a huge game. I'm really worried about this one, hopefully he'll be able to play. Derrick Mason has been playing without an injured should since the Texans game, so maybe Suggs will be able to suit up too.

2- The Baltimore Sun ran an article on this. It turns out that the saying "Its hard to beat a team three times in a season" is actually a myth. There have been 18 times in NFL history when two teams have meet 3 times in a season, and 11 of those times have been sweeps. Recent history gives hope to the Ravens as the Giants last year and the Vikings in 2004 avoided the sweep. Here's the article if anyone is interested

3- I'm not too concerned about Joe Cool. He won't let the past bother him. He'll go out there like its any other game

Overall, I say its going to be a real close game. It's really hard to pick who'll win. I think it will really come down to who gets the ball last (with a significant amount of time). Win or loss, it'll still be a hell of a season. I never dreamed we'd make it this far, even when it looked like we'd make the playoffs. But it sure would be nice to beat the Steelers to get to the Super Bowl.

1. I agree.

2. The issue not discussed in the Sun article is home field advantage. I suspect that in the vast majority of those games the team going for the sweep was playing at home, as those two victories likely gave it home field advantage over the loser (TEN-JAX in 1999 is the main exception I can think of). I further suspect that the 11-8 record (.578 winning percentage) corresponds closely to the overall winning percentage of home teams in the playoffs, though it might actually be lower (which would suggest that the myth might hold true to a degree). Maybe somebody should look that up. <_<

3. I agree with this as well. However, even if the past doesn't bother Flacco, this is still a tough matchup for him (and the Ravens).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I just stumbled onto my own answer in an SI.com story --

? Home teams went 190-80 (.704) in the playoffs from 1970 through 2001.

? Home teams have gone 40-28 (.588) in the playoffs since the realignment of 2002.

? Home teams have gone 20-18 (.526) in the playoffs since 2005.

Adding up all three periods, the overall home team winning percentage since 1970 is .664 (350-126). That means the 11-8 record in sweep games is, as I thought my be the case, lower than the overall home team winning percentage. Maybe there is a little truth to the myth.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

A few factors that you're not touching on in the NFC game:

* Can the Eagles overcome the crowd noise?

* How will Westbrook's injury hamper the Eagles offense?

* McNabb has been turnover prone in the past. How will he manage against a high turnover defense?

* McNabb still has the monkey on his back. Warner's already won the big one, and has Boldin back.

VmWIn6B.png

* McNabb has been turnover prone in the past. How will he manage against a high turnover defense?

* McNabb still has the monkey on his back. Warner's already won the big one, and has Boldin back.

* The Cardinals have fans?

* Westbrook doesn't even have to get alot of carries/receptions/yards to influence a game. His presence is key.

* McNabb has looked good of late.

*This just drives McNabb more.

Prediction: Eagles, 24, Cardinals 17

* The Cardinals have fans?

* Westbrook doesn't even have to get alot of carries/receptions/yards to influence a game. His presence is key.

* McNabb has looked good of late.

*This just drives McNabb more.

Prediction: Eagles, 24, Cardinals 17

*Talk to the Atlanta Falcons who still state they couldn't hear eachother because the crowd was so loud

*Alot of the offense does rest on Westbrook, if Westbrook isn't the same the Eagles don't have the balance they are used to

*With the defense the Cardinals have had lately McNabb could look like Delhomme last week.

*More Pressure on the Eagles to get to the big game than the Cardinals, Warner has experience in the big game and a Super Bowl ring plus MVP to prove it. While McNabb is 1 for 4 getting to the Super Bowl, and is proven to choke when it really matters

Archived