Islanders flirting with Kansas City?

Ez Street

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think the Isles will be done for by the end of Obama's term. Honestly. Anyone remember those Sabres and someone else (I can't remember who though) merging, and look at where the Sabres are now with their great fan support. It's called win, and they will come.

6fQjS3M.png

I honestly think the Isles will be done for by the end of Obama's term. Honestly. Anyone remember those Sabres and someone else (I can't remember who though) merging, and look at where the Sabres are now with their great fan support. It's called win, and they will come.

You're thinking of the Cleveland Barons merging with the Minnesota North Stars.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

...only to be split up by the Gund Brothers, who in turn founded the San Jose Sharks after the NHL shot down the Stars' first attempt to leave Minnesota.

There's a report today that the Islanders will be holding their next training camp in Saskatoon now. Maybe they'll move there.

It's appropriate though - New York's second-rate team having training camp in Saskatchewan's second-rate city. Perfect.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

...only to be split up by the Gund Brothers, who in turn founded the San Jose Sharks after the NHL shot down the Stars' first attempt to leave Minnesota.

I could have swore there were merging rumors with the Sabres a few years ago.

Oh, and speaking of the San Jose Sharks, PTI needs to update their graphics. They still had the old logo up.

6fQjS3M.png

There's a report today that the Islanders will be holding their next training camp in Saskatoon now. Maybe they'll move there.

It's appropriate though - New York's second-rate team having training camp in Saskatchewan's second-rate city. Perfect.

The Saska Tunes will finally be a reality!

Also,

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=404632

No NHL club has relocated since the Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix in 1996.

Are we not counting the Whalers because Hartford still owns the rights, or did we not fact-check?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You just named three teams with newer and potentially more profitable arenas than the Isles (and that includes the Coyotes' current crap agreement with Glendale.) The Isles are not only playing in an outdated hole, they're playing in a place regarded as an outdated hole for at least 15 years, as the least-relevant team in a 3-team market, in a community showing negligible interest in providing them an upgraded facility. That's the best recipe for relocation possible.

Before you condemn community interest as negligible look at the team's history over the past 15 or so years. Management has not given us the fans a reason to care. Even since Wang bought the team we the fans have had to put up with the craptastic contracts given to Yashin and DiPietro general draft incompetence from Milbury being GM that's continued into the Snow regime and a perpetual rebuilding program. This is a team that has made the playoffs what maybe two or three times since going to the Conference Finals back in 1993. I know I'm not satisfied with perpetual last place finishes nor just barely making it to be knocked out in the first round of the playoffs teams. It's so bad that decent free agents don't even want to give the Island any look. Let alone a first or second look. When a washed up Bill Guerin and Doug Weight are the best free agent signings you can come up with (the Streit signing was a fluke) you know the team is a joke.

If you were a fan of this team don't you think that your patience would be gone? Would you spend a dime to see this joke of a franchise? I thought not.

The past has shown that if management puts a quality product on the ice the fans will show up in droves. You couldn't get anywhere near the Colisseum during the dynasty years. If Mr. Wang showed a real commitment to the team by hiring competent hockey people to run the fron office instead of a had been backup goalie, drafted smartly and signed some decent free agents the fans will come back.

Nassau County officials have shown little interest in working with Charles Wang to get the Coliseum reconstruction project going before, and I assume the situation has only gotten colder as the financial situation up there gets worse. The county can't even afford to keep a fresh fleet of police cruisers going right now, I can't imagine how they'd justify putting any public money towards the arena. Wang has a lot of his own money that he's willing to spend, but they also haven't helped him with any zoning or construction matters. Attendance continues to flounder, the team is horrible, Nassau Coliseum is a dump, and even as a Long Island native (Ranger fan, though), I wouldn't be surprised to see the team move if their situation does not improve and soon. I'd hate to see the team go, but I can understand if they do.

First, Nassau County officials are behind the project and have publicly supported it. Nassau County has no say in the zoning matters in this case. The issues lie with the Town of Hempstead who controlls the zoning and permit approval process. The Town has dragged its heels on this for years which hasn't helped matters.

I think a major reason for this is that the project Wang wants to develop is not only too ambitious but would not fit into the area nor be profitable. He wants to put a major shopping mall on the site when there are already two major shopping malls within two miles of the Colisseum.

I think the best option would be to just build a new arena. I think the Town is dragging their feet because they want to see the project scaled down. Ultimately, I think that a replacement for the Colisseum will be built just not to the scale that Wang wants with his Lighthouse project.

this pretty much sums up my feelings with the team. i don't know how many times i've said it but if things don't change and i mean seriously change with this team, then they will be gone in 3 to 4 years if not sooner. with the economy headed towards a great depression, their demise will be accelerated very quickly.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

As a Ranger fan, all I can say is that the Icelanders are a necessary evil. It just wouldn't be the same without them.

Mmhhh... the Devils aren't an Evil necessarily? :P:D

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

A caller into WFAN yesterday stated Hartford officials met the NHL recently. Islanders to CT?

Not without $600 million lined up for a new stadium before the first box gets packed. The Puckmall holds 15,635 for hockey, according to ballparks.com, and is very skimpy on the luxury boxes. It wasn't a financially viable facility in 1997, and nothing's changed, outside of it getting older. There's no way a team wants to move there, even if the Civic Center is a two-year temporary setup, when the Sprint Center's rarin' to go in Kansas City.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hey Kansas you can't get your own freaking team?? Take the Rangers...

You do realize Kansas City's in Missouri, right?

Actually, there are 2 of them (one in Missouri, the other in Kansas). And they're basically twin cities.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Actually, there are 2 of them (one in Missouri, the other in Kansas). And they're basically twin cities.

Kansas City, MISSOURI is where the Sprint Center is and where the Royals and Chiefs are. Kansas City, KANSAS is just... there.

Kansas City, MISSOURI is where the Sprint Center is and where the Royals and Chiefs are. Kansas City, KANSAS is just... there.

Pipe down Missouri resident, you forgot JH42XCC knows more about everything than anyone.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

You just named three teams with newer and potentially more profitable arenas than the Isles (and that includes the Coyotes' current crap agreement with Glendale.) The Isles are not only playing in an outdated hole, they're playing in a place regarded as an outdated hole for at least 15 years, as the least-relevant team in a 3-team market, in a community showing negligible interest in providing them an upgraded facility. That's the best recipe for relocation possible.

Before you condemn community interest as negligible look at the team's history over the past 15 or so years. Management has not given us the fans a reason to care. Even since Wang bought the team we the fans have had to put up with the craptastic contracts given to Yashin and DiPietro general draft incompetence from Milbury being GM that's continued into the Snow regime and a perpetual rebuilding program. This is a team that has made the playoffs what maybe two or three times since going to the Conference Finals back in 1993. I know I'm not satisfied with perpetual last place finishes nor just barely making it to be knocked out in the first round of the playoffs teams. It's so bad that decent free agents don't even want to give the Island any look. Let alone a first or second look. When a washed up Bill Guerin and Doug Weight are the best free agent signings you can come up with (the Streit signing was a fluke) you know the team is a joke.

If you were a fan of this team don't you think that your patience would be gone? Would you spend a dime to see this joke of a franchise? I thought not.

Leafs fans have put up for much worse over a longer period of time. Quit your whining.

I say let 'em move. They need a new arena, and if Nassau County isn't willing to help them get a new one, they have every right to look elsewhere.

Pipe down Missouri resident, you forgot JH42XCC knows more about everything than anyone.

Ok, Canuck... ^_^

Archived