Islanders flirting with Kansas City?

Ez Street

You just named three teams with newer and potentially more profitable arenas than the Isles (and that includes the Coyotes' current crap agreement with Glendale.) The Isles are not only playing in an outdated hole, they're playing in a place regarded as an outdated hole for at least 15 years, as the least-relevant team in a 3-team market, in a community showing negligible interest in providing them an upgraded facility. That's the best recipe for relocation possible.

Before you condemn community interest as negligible look at the team's history over the past 15 or so years. Management has not given us the fans a reason to care. Even since Wang bought the team we the fans have had to put up with the craptastic contracts given to Yashin and DiPietro general draft incompetence from Milbury being GM that's continued into the Snow regime and a perpetual rebuilding program. This is a team that has made the playoffs what maybe two or three times since going to the Conference Finals back in 1993. I know I'm not satisfied with perpetual last place finishes nor just barely making it to be knocked out in the first round of the playoffs teams. It's so bad that decent free agents don't even want to give the Island any look. Let alone a first or second look. When a washed up Bill Guerin and Doug Weight are the best free agent signings you can come up with (the Streit signing was a fluke) you know the team is a joke.

If you were a fan of this team don't you think that your patience would be gone? Would you spend a dime to see this joke of a franchise? I thought not.

Leafs fans have put up for much worse over a longer period of time. Quit your whining.

I say let 'em move. They need a new arena, and if Nassau County isn't willing to help them get a new one, they have every right to look elsewhere.

Ummm hmmmm you're comparing apples to oranges. First of all the Leafs are the only NHL game in town whereas in the New York metro area the Isles have competition from the Rangers and Devils for not only fan support but television rights and the money that comes with it. I could point out how the Leafs are the Cubs of the NHL but that would be merely stating the obvious. They will always draw because of their status as an "Original Six" playing in Canada's largest market. By the way how is Jason Blake working out up there B) ?

Whining, hardly. I provided an analytical response to a point made by another poster regarding interest in the team and why the attendance is so low.

Also, had you read the rest of my response you would have known that it's not Nassau County that is holding up the project it is the Town of Hempstead. Nassau County had no control over the zoning, the Town does. You also failed to see that the hold up isn't the arena it's the scale of the rest of the project. Anyone with an iota of understanding of how the process works there understands why this is taking so long.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city/community would welcome the Islander with open arms and the owner (Wang) would be getting a new arena and a great economic package. Honestly, I'm not sure how well the team would do moving from the Island in NY.

We do have great hockey fans and a nice fan base, but I don't think the team will move up much in the Attendance rankings. They would probably continue to draw 12,000-13,000 here, but at least they'd have a new arena.

I attended the StLouis Blue/LA Kings pre-season game at the Sprint Center, WoW what a great venue for hockey.

We had under 15,000 there and the NHL game drew better than the NBA preseason game who had under 13,000.

Either way, the situation will unfold over the next year, it's easy to speculate, but I agree with the facts many of you have produced. Mr. Wang is looking to get out if doesn't get a new arena, as the economic package for the "Island" is too great. However, that's already in place here in KC with the "Power & Light District", that has shops, resturants, hotels, a convention center just down the street and people with money who would support the team.

Sorry, IMO - but the sound of the Kansas City Islanders, :blink: NO, that won't work (Yeah, I know the 2nd coming of the Kansas City Scouts would be nice) If they did come to KC, I'd like to see them keep the colors; but leave the Gordon Fisherman at the Docks in NY. Also, the four Stanley Cups need to stay on the Island, they earned them and their wonderful fans deserve them. Islander fans are so loyal, it would break their hearts if Mr. Wang moved the team.

But as stated before, if they'd start winning, the fan base would grow and that does wonders for a franchise.

Time will tell.

Sprint-Center-outside.jpgSprintCenter_Hockey.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Without researching this, I'm fairly certain if the Islanders were to relocate it would be the first time in NHL history that a former Stanley Cup Champion moved to another city.

(now that I think about it, they would be the second - but the first since the Ottawa Senators moved to St Louis in the 1930's)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Without researching this, I'm fairly certain if the Islanders were to relocate it would be the first time in NHL history that a former Stanley Cup Champion moved to another city.

(now that I think about it, they would be the second - but the first since the Ottawa Senators moved to St Louis in the 1930's)

First time in the modern era dating back to 1942 and the Original 6.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

First time since the 30's :P

---

Chris Creamer

What about the Victoria Cougars, who eventually became the Detroit Red Wings?

You just named three teams with newer and potentially more profitable arenas than the Isles (and that includes the Coyotes' current crap agreement with Glendale.) The Isles are not only playing in an outdated hole, they're playing in a place regarded as an outdated hole for at least 15 years, as the least-relevant team in a 3-team market, in a community showing negligible interest in providing them an upgraded facility. That's the best recipe for relocation possible.

Before you condemn community interest as negligible look at the team's history over the past 15 or so years. Management has not given us the fans a reason to care. Even since Wang bought the team we the fans have had to put up with the craptastic contracts given to Yashin and DiPietro general draft incompetence from Milbury being GM that's continued into the Snow regime and a perpetual rebuilding program. This is a team that has made the playoffs what maybe two or three times since going to the Conference Finals back in 1993. I know I'm not satisfied with perpetual last place finishes nor just barely making it to be knocked out in the first round of the playoffs teams. It's so bad that decent free agents don't even want to give the Island any look. Let alone a first or second look. When a washed up Bill Guerin and Doug Weight are the best free agent signings you can come up with (the Streit signing was a fluke) you know the team is a joke.

If you were a fan of this team don't you think that your patience would be gone? Would you spend a dime to see this joke of a franchise? I thought not.

Leafs fans have put up for much worse over a longer period of time. Quit your whining.

I say let 'em move. They need a new arena, and if Nassau County isn't willing to help them get a new one, they have every right to look elsewhere.

Ummm hmmmm you're comparing apples to oranges. First of all the Leafs are the only NHL game in town whereas in the New York metro area the Isles have competition from the Rangers and Devils for not only fan support but television rights and the money that comes with it. I could point out how the Leafs are the Cubs of the NHL but that would be merely stating the obvious. They will always draw because of their status as an "Original Six" playing in Canada's largest market. By the way how is Jason Blake working out up there B) ?

And the Leafs (lack of) performance this season has what do with the Islanders potentially moving?

Yes, Toronto's an Original Six (Original Two even), yes they play in the largest market in a hockey-mad country, and yes they're the only pro game in town.

With the way the Leafs have been run, well, since the 60's, however, it would extremely easy for us of Leafs Nation to say "screw this" and devote our loyalties completely to the many minor and semi-pro teams across southern Ontario. Teams with tickets the majority of us can actually get.

Fact is, if the Islanders' fanbase was as strong as you claim it is, they wouldn't be drawing as poorly as they are.

Could a new arena within the same general geographic location solve that problem? Maybe, but....

Also, had you read the rest of my response you would have known that it's not Nassau County that is holding up the project it is the Town of Hempstead. Nassau County had no control over the zoning, the Town does. You also failed to see that the hold up isn't the arena it's the scale of the rest of the project. Anyone with an iota of understanding of how the process works there understands why this is taking so long.

....fine, Hempstead. Whatever. Regardless, the civic authorities that have control over the entire deal seem unwilling to commit to a new stadium for the Islanders. Which they need. They can't continue to play in the same dump they're in for 15 more years while the powers at be stall because they don't want to commit to an arena deal.

If the authorities in their present location can't help them with a new rink, the team, acting in its best interests, should seek opportunities elsewhere.

Hey, if KC doesn't work out, maybe they can move into the Nets' new place in Brooklyn.

And the Leafs (lack of) performance this season has what do with the Islanders potentially moving?

Yes, Toronto's an Original Six (Original Two even), yes they play in the largest market in a hockey-mad country, and yes they're the only pro game in town.

With the way the Leafs have been run, well, since the 60's, however, it would extremely easy for us of Leafs Nation to say "screw this" and devote our loyalties completely to the many minor and semi-pro teams across southern Ontario. Teams with tickets the majority of us can actually get.

Fact is, if the Islanders' fanbase was as strong as you claim it is, they wouldn't be drawing as poorly as they are.

Could a new arena within the same general geographic location solve that problem? Maybe, but....

....fine, Hempstead. Whatever. Regardless, the civic authorities that have control over the entire deal seem unwilling to commit to a new stadium for the Islanders. Which they need. They can't continue to play in the same dump they're in for 15 more years while the powers at be stall because they don't want to commit to an arena deal.

If the authorities in their present location can't help them with a new rink, the team, acting in its best interests, should seek opportunities elsewhere.

Hey, if KC doesn't work out, maybe they can move into the Nets' new place in Brooklyn.

Highly doubt that, the Nets have been talking to the Devils about playing preseason games at the Prudential Center, a sign that they realizing the move to Brooklyn may not happen, especially with the arena in BK having to be redesigned and scaled down more cause of the economy and also the legal hurdles. Ratner says is may not be ready by 2012.

Todays' Newsday said The Town of Hempstead Supervisor said the Islanders could have had the go-ahead for a new arena if the arena was all they wanted. Wang doesnt just want a new arena, he want the arena and much much more to go around it and he not willing to scale down the Lighthouse Project which is why this thing has never gotten off the ground. She has said it takes time and and the do not want to rush the project.

That is why Wang is a terrible owner

That and the bewildering personnel decisions he has made, like firing Neil Smith after just a month, and hiring the back up goalie to replace him, while giving an overrated Rick DiPietro a long term contract.

Or firing Ted Nolan

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The New York City metro area cannot support three teams. It can be argued that two teams might be "one-team-too-many" in NYC. But since the Devils just got a new arena, they'll be safe for a while.

The Islanders should move to Kansas City, where they'll be the only team in town, and in a market where folks are willing to spend money to fill luxury boxes.

As (sadly) an Isles fan, I honestly don't care where they go. Whether they stay on the Island, move to Kansas City, or move to San Diego for Chrissake, I don't care. I'll still be a fan, and I think they would be better without the insane Long Islanders acting like :censored: idiots at their games.

disclaimer: Yes, I am originally from Long Island, but I don't follow the LIer stereotype. I swear! This is a picture of me:

medium_hood.jpg)

just kidding :P

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

The New York City metro area cannot support three teams. It can be argued that two teams might be "one-team-too-many" in NYC. But since the Devils just got a new arena, they'll be safe for a while.

The Islanders should move to Kansas City, where they'll be the only team in town, and in a market where folks are willing to spend money to fill luxury boxes.

I gotta respectfully disagree. Living here on the Island it seems to me that people aren't out supporting the Isles because, put blatantly, they suck. The Coliseum is a crappy venue and its location in Uniondale is no better IMO. I know first hand that plenty of people are Islanders fans, they just have nothing to root for. It makes me feel bad for all the diehards out there.

See the bold

---

Chris Creamer

See the bold

And who technically didn't move. The rights to the Victoria Cougars players were bought by the Detroit NHL team, which then named itself the Cougars after the team that their players had come from.

Nashville and Tampa Bay are the only 2 franchises that could realistically move in the next 5-7.

Sources: Yes.

and I would put Tampa Bay as extremely unlikely to move. Nashville I would rank as somewhat unlikely.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Oh come on Islanders fans lighten up. They won't be going anywhere.

I did make this to give all the Isle fans some crap (all 5 of them)

dipietro1.jpg

Tis a shame he will probably retire by the time the team plays it's first game in KC in two years. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Whining, hardly. I provided an analytical response to a point made by another poster regarding interest in the team and why the attendance is so low.

I say move the team to Queens or even to the Bronx. If they can survive with the Devils being a 30 minute train ride away, I'm sure they could be fine with another NHL team being somewhat near MSG.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Oh come on Islanders fans lighten up. They won't be going anywhere.

I did make this to give all the Isle fans some crap (all 5 of them)

dipietro1.jpg

Tis a shame he will probably retire by the time the team plays it's first game in KC in two years. :P

substitute navy/orange for royal blue and red with yellow/gold trim and thats a decent jersey for the KC Scouts.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived