Islanders flirting with Kansas City?

Ez Street

"Perhaps Forbes rankings are not the best to go by, then. Or perhaps, if the NYC location has such an influence on the Forbes rankings, it may be open to questioning whether moving the Southern teams any where else would improve their standing."

I've followed these rankings for years. I've seen no bias shown towards any city. And if Forbes is s biased towards NYC why are the Islanders ranked 29th, and the Giants and Jets were ranked 15 and 16th nearly every year running before their new stadium was announced?

Perhaps a better question would be...How accurate are Forbes rankings as a predictor of franchise moves?

"And yet as of last checking, my hometown of Peoria has more Global Fortune 500 companies (1) than Winnipeg. (0)"

That would also be 1 more then Las Vegas, New Orleans Denver, Vancouver, Miami, and San Diego.

Use a better example then that for why Winnipeg's market isn't good.

Besides a small market size, limited numbers of companies to buy luxury boxes, and a small arena?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Kansas City Scouts were the worst draw in NHL history.

Why are they so eager to go back?

It's not like Kansas City is all that different from the mid-1970's.

Boy, you know who else stunk up an empty house in the '70s? The Colorado Rockies. Hoo, boy! What a clunker of a pro hockey market, that Denver. And you know, things haven't changed much there in the past 27 years. The NHL should avoid that market like the plague, I tells ya!

Also, a little (very little) research would show you that the Scouts were essentially operated by a couple of yahoos out of the back of a turnip truck, and that maybe the fans were wise to a franchise so ineptly operated, it never had the potential to deliver on anything.

Use a better example then that for why Winnipeg's market isn't good.

Here, try this one out!

You decided to break down the door to this place and rush in with guns blazing. Unfortunately, you have terrible aim, and all of us are better armed. Perhaps it's time to rethink your strategy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I never mentioned once that I thought the Islanders should stay, so I'm not sure what your point is, and both the Expos and Sonics ranked near or at the bottom in franchise value when they moved, so about as accurate as you can get in my estimation.

But the Penguins also ranked 30th for years before getting Sidney Crosby, and a new arena promise (which was their biggest issue) and are now in the middle of the pack, so it's not a death sentence.

Islanders biggest issue is a new arena. They get that, and they are staying in Long Island.

But all of the southern teams have brand new arenas. They're down so low because they don't draw, and there is little to no potential for them becoming a long term draw. Period.

True Winnipeg is a small market, but how many of those people are hockey fans that are willing to support a team versus Kansas City? Which I still ask what has changed about the city since the mid-1970's? They left because of low support, and financial woes. Right now there is little sign of support, and financial woes in the country.

And economic wise I think Winninpeg is on the up, while Kansas City is at best staying stagnant. Also the business that's there in Winnipeg seems to be solidly behind a possible NHL team through various movements both in ownership movements, and political movements. I don't see any other movement coming from Kansas City to bring a team in, other then the one by the owners of the Sprint Center.

The small arena issue needs to be looked if an NHL team looks at moving there at I agree. Expansion may or may not be out of the question. Depends on who you talk too. So far most say it is.

I was done with this topic. The only reason I made that post was to call you out for making a dumb statement. If you want to say Winnipeg doesen't have the economic backing there's more ways of doing it then by Number of Global 500 companies located in your city which really doesen't say a whole lot about the economy there either way, unless you have a ton of them.

I just gave you a bunch of cities that had none as well some of them I would consider very economically viable cities. One of them being Vancouver who gives the Cancuks a tremendous amount of financial support to allow that franchise to succeed.

Now I'm done.

Now I'm done.

58 minutes into the day, and I've already received a tasty nugget of good news!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Kansas City Scouts were the worst draw in NHL history.

Why are they so eager to go back?

It's not like Kansas City is all that different from the mid-1970's.

Boy, you know who else stunk up an empty house in the '70s? The Colorado Rockies. Hoo, boy! What a clunker of a pro hockey market, that Denver. And you know, things haven't changed much there in the past 27 years. The NHL should avoid that market like the plague, I tells ya!

Also, a little (very little) research would show you that the Scouts were essentially operated by a couple of yahoos out of the back of a turnip truck, and that maybe the fans were wise to a franchise so ineptly operated, it never had the potential to deliver on anything.

You're right on the mark. Also, how about that Bay Area? No way the league should head back there after those Seals sunk.

But all of the southern teams have brand new arenas. They're down so low because they don't draw, and there is little to no potential for them becoming a long term draw. Period.

This is the same pompous statement that all of your crowd cry. How can their be little or no potential when there are millions of people in their respective markets & they only need about twenty thousand of them on a given night? If these markets truly are "non-traditional", then the "tradition" has to be given time to be built! As such, the notion that a fan base should reach its peak in five to ten years is ridiculous. It is a challenge, but with time, the league & the owners can benefit from these markets. Winning goes a long way, too, as the Stars, Lightning, Ducks & Hurricanes can testify.

I do, however, understand the point that publications such as Forbes will have the Islanders' franchise valued higher should they have a new arena built in NY as opposed to playing in KC.

Archived