Quad City Flames on the Move

Brian in Boston

keep the flames out of British Columbia!!!!!!

i know those in Manitoba are big Moose fans and many have grown into Canucks fans, but if the Baby Flames MUST move, send Manitoba to Abbotsford (or even better Seattle), and move the baby flames to Winnepeg (or better yet move Phoenix back!)

so..my proposal...

1. Quad City Flames move to Phoenix. Become the Phoenix Flames.

2. Phoenix Coyotes move to Winnepeg. Become Manitoba Moose. Or Winnepeg Jets.

3. Canucks AHL affiliate moves to Seattle, WA. Becomes the Seattle Metropolitans.

4. Party.

Ya gotta be joking.... no way in hell will we let our AHL Moose go.. ehh... rather let the Moose stay here...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, in defense of Abbotsford, Chilliwack is nearby and they're home to a WHL franchise.

Yes, I do see the difference between the AHL, a minor league, and the WHL, which is a junior league. But, if Chilliwack can draw a decent crowd at home with a junior league team, then maybe Abbotsford has a chance.

Now, maybe I see why the Flames want to move again: Quad City has the second lowest total attendance in the AHL (Lowell is the lowest averaging only 1700 fans at a home. Quad City gets 2750 per home game).

Don't be fooled by the Bruins attendance numbers. There's some padding going on there.

Yes, I do see the difference between the AHL, a minor league, and the WHL, which is a junior league.

Then I'm certain you also see the difference between a league in which the nearest competitor would be almost 1,290 miles away, and one in which the whole division can be done in a bus trip.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i know those in Manitoba are big Moose fans and many have grown into Canucks fans, but if the Baby Flames MUST move, send Manitoba to Abbotsford (or even better Seattle), and move the baby flames to Winnepeg (or better yet move Phoenix back!)

so..my proposal...

3. Canucks AHL affiliate moves to Seattle, WA. Becomes the Seattle Metropolitans.

4. Party.

Ya gotta be joking.... no way in hell will we let our AHL Moose go.. ehh... rather let the Moose stay here...

would you trade your jaffray-laden AHL moose for your NHL Manitoba Moose (former Phoenix Coyotes)???

i think you would. i would.

so..my proposal...

4. Party.

Your plan involves saddling the AHL with a team that is 1700 miles away from its closest existing foe and 1400 from its "partner" (Seattle) and Phoenix is 900 miles away from its closest existing foe (San Antonio).

On a minor league budget.

The phrase "fiscally impossible" comes readily to mind.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Red Deer I believe has the 3rd largest arena in Alberta after Pengrowth and Rexall and the thing with Red Deer is there half Oiler half Flames fans

But most of the mid sized Western Canadian cities have WHL teams, Flames should stay in the Quad Cities but I don't know what the Fan support is there, I could see the Flames somewhere in Montana possibly Billings they did have a WHL team but would need a new arena.

Oddly enough while taking a brief tour of the arena in Red Deer last month I asked about arena expansion, I was told the arena could easily be expanded to hold over 11,000. I suggested it was perfect for an AHL team if not for the fact that there aren't any others in the area.

(dark) Pic I took of the arena there, you can sort of see that it's a big open space in the upper deck of each end of the arena, perfect for massive capacity expansion

3150295503_4309617759_b.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Oddly enough while taking a brief tour of the arena in Red Deer last month I asked about arena expansion, I was told the arena could easily be expanded to hold over 11,000. I suggested it was perfect for an AHL team if not for the fact that there aren't any others in the area.

(dark) Pic I took of the arena there, you can sort of see that it's a big open space in the upper deck of each end of the arena, perfect for massive capacity expansion

3150295503_4309617759_b.jpg

Well, if the Edmonton RoadRunners and the Utah Grizzlies were still around, in theory, we could have the start of something. Ah, well. I'm sure Red Deer loves their juniors plenty and wouldn't see any appreciable difference if the "A" came to town.

(wishes the Toronto Roadrunners were still around)

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Your plan involves saddling the AHL with a team that is 1700 miles away from its closest existing foe and 1400 from its "partner" (Seattle) and Phoenix is 900 miles away from its closest existing foe (San Antonio).

while youre point does make sense, ya it couldnt work. i think i need to clarify

in theory

seattle would be Vancouver's affiliate. it would be very convienient for guys like jannik hansen right now.

phoenix coyotes move to Manitoba to become the Moose.

idk where their affiliate is. hell. we'll say its red deer. time to expand westward like lewis&clark.

then phoenix becomes calgary's affiliate.

its time for the AHL to move west anyways, they're missing out on a big fan base in Western North America

while youre point does make sense, ya it couldnt work. i think i need to clarify

in theory

seattle would be Vancouver's affiliate. it would be very convienient for guys like jannik hansen right now.

phoenix coyotes move to Manitoba to become the Moose.

idk where their affiliate is. hell. we'll say its red deer. time to expand westward like lewis&clark.

then phoenix becomes calgary's affiliate.

its time for the AHL to move west anyways, they're missing out on a big fan base in Western North America

They tried having outposts out West. It failed. If Western North America wants minor league hockey, there is always the ECHL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Now, in defense of Abbotsford, Chilliwack is nearby and they're home to a WHL franchise.

Yes, I do see the difference between the AHL, a minor league, and the WHL, which is a junior league. But, if Chilliwack can draw a decent crowd at home with a junior league team, then maybe Abbotsford has a chance.

Now, maybe I see why the Flames want to move again: Quad City has the second lowest total attendance in the AHL (Lowell is the lowest averaging only 1700 fans at a home. Quad City gets 2750 per home game).

That's really sad. Personally, I think Indianapolis could support an AHL or an ECHL team with our size, but oh welll. I'll keep dreaming. We would draw more than 3,000 per home game (although that's about what the Pacers draw :P )

6fQjS3M.png

Plus it would be very difficult to move the Coyotes to anywhere no matter what financial difficulty they are in. Their lease in the jobing.com Arena is basically fool proof, they can't get out of it not unless you personally pay 800 Million for them to go to Winnipeg. It's not going to happen

Plus it would be very difficult to move the Coyotes to anywhere no matter what financial difficulty they are in. Their lease in the jobing.com Arena is basically fool proof, they can't get out of it not unless you personally pay 800 Million for them to go to Winnipeg. It's not going to happen

Thanks for that little tidbit of information Gary. Are there any other NHL teams with leases like this?

6fQjS3M.png

That's really sad. Personally, I think Indianapolis could support an AHL or an ECHL team with our size, but oh welll. I'll keep dreaming. We would draw more than 3,000 per home game (although that's about what the Pacers draw :P )

Considering the USHL's Indiana Ice are currently bringing in 2,800+ a game, I would say 3K is an easy get for the AHL. It seems that Indy is a market comfortable in its role as being on the line between major- and minor- league, and gives good support to all of its high-minor teams (Indians, Ice, Firebirds.)

That being said, I wouldn't wish this vagabond Flames affiliate on the Indy market. I have too many fond memories of the Ice from the IHL days, and I can't stand to see another potentially thriving hockey market get poisoned by Calgary's develop players first, wins and fans be damned approach.

Spokane could be a viable place for the Flames affiliate relatively close in distance but they also have a team in the Dub just the thing with the Flames and Affiliates they haven't been anywhere near Calgary closest would have to be when they were in Omaha.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Fun fact: on my National Geographic wall map, I can spot Kamloops, Chilliwack, Kelowna, Burnaby, and Salmon Arm. No Abbotsford.

Technically, Abbotsford is the 5th largest city in BC at just under 90k, and has their own airport. It's essentially the furthest suburb of Vancouver before the stretch to Chilliwack.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

What is it with the Alberta teams and minor league affiliates they can't stay anywhere. Calgary has been to Salt Lake, Saint John (Saint is never abbreviated), Lowell, Omaha, Quad City and (possibily) Abbotsford. Edmonton is just as bad they have been in Houston, Wichita, Moncton, Halifax, Cape Breton, Hamilton, Edmonton and Springfield.

Maybe it's time for the Flames to let a real owner try running the show on the farm, and work out a proper working agreement, a la the Canucks and Moose.

The Moose are a separate entity from the Canucks, and they have a 3-year renewable agreement with the Canucks; as such, the Moose are free to find and develop players on their own in addition to whoever the Canucks send to the farm. Its worked rather nicely since the IHL folded, and I see no reason that it couldn't work with the Flames and another existing, succesful minor league team. Oklahoma City definitely comes to mind.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived