Big Ten redesign

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so the Badgers are one of the tougher teams to do a concept for. I wanted to make them a little more modern, but not straying too far from their tradition. For one, Nebraska and Wisconsin have very similar sets, so I wanted to stray away from the Nebraska style. My favorite thing about the Badgers' current set is their double-stripe. They incorporate it into their helmet, jerseys, and pants. I tried to keep this stripe, but modernizing it. So what I did is made a side panel with the double stripe that continued to the pants. I added a sleeve patch because I wanted to incorporate the Badger head into the set. I added minor piping that connects to the side panel. I made both sets monochrome for two reasons. 1- to stray from Nebraska, 2- to match the side panel to the pants. I didn't include alternates because they would go against my reasons for the monochrome.

So here they are, C&C, Michigan or Purdue next.

WisconsinBadgers.png

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Okay, so the Badgers are one of the tougher teams to do a concept for. I wanted to make them a little more modern, but not straying too far from their tradition. For one, Nebraska and Wisconsin have very similar sets, so I wanted to stray away from the Nebraska style. My favorite thing about the Badgers' current set is their double-stripe. They incorporate it into their helmet, jerseys, and pants. I tried to keep this stripe, but modernizing it. So what I did is made a side panel with the double stripe that continued to the pants. I added a sleeve patch because I wanted to incorporate the Badger head into the set. I added minor piping that connects to the side panel. I made both sets monochrome for two reasons. 1- to stray from Nebraska, 2- to match the side panel to the pants. I didn't include alternates because they would go against my reasons for the monochrome.

WisconsinBadgers.png

You could try all black as an alternate.

(image removed)

NO! Not every teams needs an alternate. Especially teams with only one color.

As monochromes go, these aren't bad. But the current look is way better. It is just classy. This looks like a team that wants to be modern and classic at the same time. Sometimes it just doesn't work. But I do like that you went out on a limb. I always appreciate that.

WisconsinBadgers.png

Idea stealer :P . No, but I would love to see the Badgers in this. Good job!

6fQjS3M.png

I have to give a thumbs down to all Badgers concepts that don't being back cardinal red.

But even if these were cardinal, I'm not sure I'd like them. Maybe it's me, but I look at them and see a random MAC team (maybe Ball State or Miami), not Wisconsin. I know what you're going for and I can't really find any flaws in your execution (aside from the shoulder numbers, which have bad vibes in Buckyland), but they just don't look like the Badgers unis to me.

I made a Gophers concept a couple days back, and these are the updates. But, I was thinking why just stop at the Gophers? So I am re-doing the whole Big Ten.

Well, here are the Gophers:

MinnesotaGophers-2.png

Well done! A modern design that is unique but still stays clean. Looking forward to what you do with the rest of the league.

WisconsinBadgers.png

And where does the word "black" fit in the phrase "Cardinal and White"?

Packers-2.png

WisconsinBadgers.png

The Badgers need a new look (including CARDINAL, not red). Their current look looks, frankly, cheap. (Particularly the jersey stripes; if they wanted to do the two-stripe theme throughout, they certainly could have done it better than they are doing.) But this is not it.

If I were doing these, I would:

(1) Use UW's Badger font (which looks suspiciously like Aachen)

(2) Go with the contrast-color sleeve cuff (but not the neck) a la the 1963 Rose Bowl team

(3) Keep the Motion W as the three Rose Bowl winning teams had

(4) Change the helmet stripes to the narrowing variety as worn by the Titans and Ravens

(5) Go with the V as in the Arizona Cardinals pants (which means no side jersey stripes)

(6) White jersey, cardinal pants. Cardinal jersey, white pants. (All-white makes the UW's white Wisconsin-born fat linemen look like the Michelin Man. The all-red look makes one think that UW is Barry and the Blood Clots.)

But that's just my opinion.

(P.S. I'd bring back the Northwestern black jersey. Two words: Rose Bowl.)

Packers-2.png

First of all, let me start by saying thanks to those of you who have commented so far, it is greatly appreciated. I would love for the C&C to continue strong.

Second, here are the Boilers. I do not like their current set one bit. I think it lacks an evident identity. They have elements of classic and elements of modern, but their uniform set falls far short of what it could be. What I did was try to make them more modern while keeping with a classic feel. I changed the helmet logo to that of the train and left the P out of the mix. No logos on the jerseys because I think that would ruin this set. I made shoulder stripes that GO ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!!! I know some of you hate the half-stripes, so I elected to continue them around. I also think it looks better for this particular set. I created a black monochrome alternate as well as a gold pants away alternate. Purdue was a very tough set to complete, so I would love to hear some C&C on it.

Thank you. Enjoy. Michigan next (it will be hit or miss for this one).

--BJB

PurdueBoilers.png

Twins, I'm interested in seeing how the Wisconsin set would look if you added a second connecting line of piping to the neck? I like the direction it's going in and I don't know whether it would kill the design (with too much piping) or make it better.

The Purdue numbering is completely wrong. The front numbers need to be bigger, and moved up. The arm numbers need to be tilted, think about what it looks like in real life. Also the inward curve of the shoulder stripes looks weird, and I think it should be more like half striping like LSU.

I know I am a little more sensitive since its my alma mater, but the Purdue set is a downgrade. I feel like the train logo on the helmet is a change just to make a change. I think a block letter or simple logo looks better on a helmet then a very detailed one (like the train, which is also drawn in the wrong perspective which should annoy any designer). Also, they have been using a variation of the P on the helmet for almost 40 years, so why change a good thing?

Also the inward curve of the shoulder stripes looks weird, and I think it should be more like half striping like LSU.

The half-striping like LSU was actually used for the throwbacks last season 2007.

img3394125.jpg

However, while their current set won't win any awards, it is a very well put together uniform that doesn't look like trash.

12-Jersey-c.jpg

As far as your concept goes, I'd fix the helmet and stop the sleeves half way like LSU, Colts or Va Tech throwbacks. I'm not digging the numbers, but don't have any suggestions in that dept.

Thank you for the C&C so far you guys. I will post an update of Purdue either later tonight or tomorrow. I have hit a speed bump for Michigan. The design that I had in my mind turned out really bad when I made it, so Indiana will be the next team up. I am going modern with Indiana, so watch out!

Archived