Jets Name New Head Coach

Cujo

I'm surprised to see any strong reaction in either direction. The general consensus here in New York seems to be "meh".

I'll give the guy a chance.

I'm hoping the lack of sizzle and sexiness surrounding his hire will ultimately work to Rex Ryan's advantage. Perhaps the fans' and media's apathy toward this hire will translate to lower expectations and more tolerance of growing pains than were generated by the cult of "Mangenius" at the onset of his tenure. The Mangini era was characterized by a completely unrealistic outlook on what the team and the coach were capable of, and it undoubtedly led to the coach's downfall.

The Jets have some rebuilding to do, which is a hard word to sell to New York fans. I'm not holding my breath here, but I think it'll be easier to accept and accomplish under someone not hailed as the team's lord and savior. The Jets are synonymous with "low expectations" and I hope that a more sober understanding of the limitations of this team and coach will give Rex Ryan the room he needs to demonstrate his true competence, whatever it may be. A crappy season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either, given the crop of quarterbacks that will presumably come out of college in 2010.

I, for one, am looking forward to the future. Especially to seeing if Vernon Gholston is already added to the "Jets Draft Pick Horror Montage" at this year's draft.

:lol: John Gruden? You really want John Gruden? Really?!!!? WOW!!! You obviously know nothing of John Gruden. You'd be better off with Mangini then Gruden. Gruden's a fool who would bring in Ken O'Brien, Baba Parelli, Richard Todd, and Joe Namath. If you want to really know what John Gruden was about, go read the post on John Gruden and not the first two pages or people who had no knowledge of Gruden and his lack of coaching intelligence. Defense wins championships and hiring John Gruden will only get you a first round exit!

Agreed. Gruden's a damn joke.

this has the makings of the next cam cameron. heralded coordinator until he left the superstars the made him look brilliant. life wasn't so easy without LT, gates, & rivers. we'll see if it's the same for rex without ed reed, ray lewis, and the rest of that nasty bunch.

Not really the same thing. Cam Cameron was a bad hire from a clueless front office that really had one foot out the door already.

I think the better gauge would be Marvin Lewis, considering that he and Ryan held the exact same position.

capt.5fbb70d848be4e9189fd997a6da9b8bf.jets_ryan_football_njmd104.jpg

<_<

Keeping Brett Favre around for 2009 was primary the reason Eric Mangini was sent packing -- but now with this terrible hire, Brett will definitely call it quits.

Why couldn't the Jets have just kept Mangini? ...Or talked to Shanahan? ...Hell, they wouldda been better off bringing back Kotite! :angered:

Rich Kotite: Jets slang for the word FAIL!

If it's true that Favraro does call it quits, then it means no more meaningless Jets games airing over more meaningful games in the Twin Cities. :D

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived